12 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 08:35 AM

Just got an email that "almost everything" is 35-50% off.  Again.  I just bought a sack of pilsner malt from them and tomorrow I'm receiving another 35 pounds of vienna, munich 1 and 2 and CaraHell so I'm set.  But when they have 55-lb sacks of things like Swaen Lager malt or Pale malt for about $41... this is your source.  If you live anywhere in the midwest this has to be a good deal for you.  Further away from that might start to cost you more for delivery.  If you need grains the sale is going on right now.  

#2 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 27 February 2019 - 01:08 PM

They seem to sell a lot of big bags of crushed malt.   I don't understand that. 

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18036 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 01:17 PM

They seem to sell a lot of big bags of crushed malt.   I don't understand that. 

Only thing I can think of is someone that brews a lot but does not have a mill.  I am not sure I would want crushed grains to be sitting around for any length of time.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 01:36 PM

I have noticed that.  Do they open the bag, crush the malt and then put it back in the same bag and... what?  Restitch it?  Tape it up?  

#5 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 27 February 2019 - 07:39 PM

Figures they'd hold another good sale, knowing all of my grain bins are occupied at the moment.  :D

#6 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 28 February 2019 - 07:50 AM

Some maltsters offer full bags, precrushed. A local maltster does indeed open a bag, crush it, and sew it back up.
Why? A couple breweries around hear by their bags precrushed; saves a ton on space and maintenance, of owning a mill. Makes sense to be on a small commercial scale. (10 BBL systems) The beer produced is quite nice.

Edited by LeftyMPfrmDE, 28 February 2019 - 07:51 AM.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 09:38 AM

Some maltsters offer full bags, precrushed. A local maltster does indeed open a bag, crush it, and sew it back up.
Why? A couple breweries around hear by their bags precrushed; saves a ton on space and maintenance, of owning a mill. Makes sense to be on a small commercial scale. (10 BBL systems) The beer produced is quite nice.

Interesting.

I could see someone not bothering with this place if 1) they didn't carry what you wanted and 2) you might find it locally cheaper or you can get in on a group-buy or something.  If I need something very specific and Label Peelers didn't have it, I would look locally and probably find it.  I don't necessarily have to have Weyermann Barke Pils for every pale lager that I make but if I needed it, I would find it in my zip code.  But for someone looking to beef up their grain inventory, a sale like this is really an economical way to do it.  At the moment I have 200+ pounds of grain in the basement so I won't be making any grain transactions for awhile.  :lol:

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 10:00 AM

My box from LP just arrived.  After a very cursory look at my inventory, I'm probably closer to 300 pounds of grain at the moment.  Probably a high-water mark for me.  

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 09:20 AM

Now they have refurbed ball-lock kegs... $70 but BOGO!  $35 each for kegs is pretty damn nice.  

#10 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 06 March 2019 - 09:32 AM

Lol, I got the email and ran straight here to see if Ken had posted about it!  :lol:

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18036 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 09:36 AM

Now they have refurbed ball-lock kegs... $70 but BOGO!  $35 each for kegs is pretty damn nice.  

46 after shipping for me.  Not that I need any I am actually selling some locally but the last time I bought any I paid 22 each.  

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 09:54 AM

Lol, I got the email and ran straight here to see if Ken had posted about it!  :lol:

Dood, don't you know that LP gives me a kickback?!  :lol:

46 after shipping for me.  Not that I need any I am actually selling some locally but the last time I bought any I paid 22 each.  

Yeah, I don't need any.  I have 10 kegs and I only have enough cold storage for 9 so it doesn't make sense.  

#13 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 06 March 2019 - 11:48 AM

I have noticed that.  Do they open the bag, crush the malt and then put it back in the same bag and... what?  Restitch it?  Tape it up?  

Maltsters sell pre milled malt.  Maybe Label Peelers sells to breweries?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users