#21 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 11 November 2009 - 04:41 PM

I like the idea of just disconnecting the beer out from the keg. However, you may forget to do that. Is there a way to block the cats from getting up to the tap handles? Can you put things around the faucet handles to prevent them from getting close enough to open them?I've seen doggie traps designed to stop dogs from jumping up on furniture. It is like a low speed mouse trap designed to scare them away.

Someone in the PH was having problems with hawks killing his chickens. I see an opportunity here to get a natural predator of the cat into the loop. Let's let the hawk and cat duke it out. Any way you look at it, the situation is a PITA.

#22 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3117 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:02 AM

... Can you put things around the faucet handles to prevent them from getting close enough to open them? ...

Razor wire.

#23 Ratchet454

Ratchet454

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationShar-lit Nahth Kackolacky

Posted 12 November 2009 - 12:39 PM

Ok; how about an adapter that screws onto a tap handle that allows your regular tap handle to be screwed on top of it. You lift to fold down on a hinge. When you need to get a beer you rotate the handle up and by spring action it connects to make it rigid for the pour. Now go out and make it.

#24 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 12:45 PM

Razor wire.

works on kids too!/thread

#25 ozbrew

ozbrew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:06 PM

Wonder if something like this would work like a faucet lock.

#26 No Party JKor

No Party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64408 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:40 PM

Just crinkle up a piece of foil and put it by the taps, the cats will never go near it again. Problem solved.

#27 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:33 PM

Just crinkle up a piece of foil and put it by the taps, the cats will never go near it again. Problem solved.

cats fear foil?

#28 japh

japh

Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15076 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:55 PM

I feel like this is the second time in the last few months that i've seen someone ask this question because they were worried about their cats opening their faucets.

Are these cat-owners also parents of teenagers? :cheers:

#29 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10864 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:11 PM

The real problem here is that tap locks are designed to keep teenages out of your beer. You are dealing with cats, that are likely smarter than the average teenager :cheers:Now to be serious, has any of the advice helped?h

#30 Seven

Seven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA

Posted 13 November 2009 - 07:10 AM

The real problem here is that tap locks are designed to keep teenages out of your beer. You are dealing with cats, that are likely smarter than the average teenager <_<Now to be serious, has any of the advice helped?h

The advice has definitely helped! Now I just have to get the chest freezer over to my new house and try some stuff out, probably starting with the rubber bands, then moving up to the bungee cord if the bands don't work. Finally moving to razor wire if all else fails :cheers:And, yes, cats really do hate aluminum foil for some reason.Thanks again, everyone!

#31 No Party JKor

No Party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64408 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:23 AM

How about one of those motion sensor Halloween decorations that screeches and howls whenever someone goes near it?

#32 Seven

Seven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA

Posted 13 November 2009 - 12:42 PM

How about one of those motion sensor Halloween decorations that screeches and howls whenever someone goes near it?

They'd work if I felt like cleaning up cat crap every night :wub:

#33 dondewey

dondewey

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11896 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 13 November 2009 - 06:22 PM

Same problem here, and I wanted something to look nice. I found an awesome solution. I have a collar on the freezer, but I think a similar idea could be adopted to other arangements.I took some 1/2" stainless tubing and bent it like this (faucets are xs):| x x x x x |Drilled a hole through both walls of the tubing on one end (right side) and only one wall on the other (left side).Screwed right side down through the tubing and into the collar and screwed a screw just into the collar where the left hole lined up and cut off its head. So now I just lift up the left side and swing open the tubing, get a beer and relatch the tubing. Perfect.edit: Just to be clear, the stainless tubing was placed so that it just lightly touches near the bottom of the handles (the metal part). You'd break off the handle before even coming close to getting any beer.

Edited by dondewey, 13 November 2009 - 06:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users