#1 Seven

Seven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:35 PM

I'm going to need some tap locks for my kegerator since I have 3 cats who love to jump on and rub their heads on everything. The thought of waking up to 5 or more gallons of beer on the basement floor is awful, not to mention an empty CO2 tank. Does anyone make one that's actually affordable? The ones I've seen online are like $40/each and I'll need 4 or 5 of them! Does anyone has a cheaper source? Has anyone attempted to build their own? Surely something as simple as a tap lock can be made for less than $40! :blink:

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:41 PM

I'm going to need some tap locks for my kegerator since I have 3 cats who love to jump on and rub their heads on everything. The thought of waking up to 5 or more gallons of beer on the basement floor is awful, not to mention an empty CO2 tank. Does anyone make one that's actually affordable? The ones I've seen online are like $40/each and I'll need 4 or 5 of them! Does anyone has a cheaper source? Has anyone attempted to build their own? Surely something as simple as a tap lock can be made for less than $40! :blink:

unscrew the handles from the taps?

#3 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:43 PM

That's a thought. And how about zip ties or something similar?

#4 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:25 PM

It would be a pain, but you can always disconnect the Liquid quick disconnect on the keg when you are done for the night, and push it back on when you want another pint.

#5 CarlosM

CarlosM

SeƱor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:33 PM

umm get rid of the cats from the beer room?

#6 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:13 PM

I agree and think this is the best suggestion. This is what I would do.

#7 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:19 PM

umm get rid of the cats from the beer room?

I'm on board with this suggestion. I was bummed when our indoor cat came back after being gone for 4 days! I was getting used to not having him around.

#8 No Party JKor

No Party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64408 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:13 PM

A J-hook and rubber band.

#9 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:15 PM

Get a dog that likes beer and have it defend the kegerator?

#10 CarlosM

CarlosM

SeƱor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:52 PM

Get a dog that likes beer and have it defend the kegerator?

/thread.

#11 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3117 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:56 AM

Two mutually exclusive choices present themselves here:1. Have beer.2. Have cats.Sounds like a no brainer to me.

#12 Seven

Seven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:04 AM

Thanks for the suggestions...I'll give some a try. I thought about maybe installing an in-line valve I can close inside the fridge at each tap but they will get expensive too I fear.

#13 No Party JKor

No Party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64408 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:15 AM

Thanks for the suggestions...I'll give some a try. I thought about maybe installing an in-line valve I can close inside the fridge at each tap but they will get expensive too I fear.

MoreBeer has some little in-line valves for like $2. I don't know if they'll take pressure though. Even of they aren't, you should be able to find something for a few bucks a piece.

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 55449 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:46 AM

What about some of those small bungee cords (the ones that are about 6-8" long)? Maybe use some pliers to open up the hook so it will fit around your tap handle and then fasten the other end to something that won't allow the cats to open the taps. You can't close the door to the Taproom? Otherwise... I'd get rid of the cats! Cheers.

#15 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:22 AM

How many votes is that for get rid of the cats now? Tough love from the BB. :blink: Seriously though - I think I'd either go with bungees like Ken mentioned or just removing the handles like I mentioned. I don't see why you'd want to go to the trouble of getting fancy locks or risking leaks by putting inline valves. I just don't see the advantage to those options.

#16 Seven

Seven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 12:22 PM

What about some of those small bungee cords (the ones that are about 6-8" long)? Maybe use some pliers to open up the hook so it will fit around your tap handle and then fasten the other end to something that won't allow the cats to open the taps. You can't close the door to the Taproom? Otherwise... I'd get rid of the cats! Cheers.

The basement isn't segmented at this point...just a big, wide open area of about 1600sf. Eventually it will be finished but for now it's going to remain as is. I'll look into the bungees or rubber bands and go to something more extreme if they don't work.Get rid of the cats?!? Didn't OldFart ferment a beer with a car hair? They sound like a source of good yeast! :lol:

#17 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 11 November 2009 - 12:46 PM

The basement isn't segmented at this point...just a big, wide open area of about 1600sf. Eventually it will be finished but for now it's going to remain as is. I'll look into the bungees or rubber bands and go to something more extreme if they don't work.Get rid of the cats?!? Didn't OldFart ferment a beer with a car hair? They sound like a source of good yeast! :lol:

Ok, we never discussed "aesthetics", but if its in an unfinished basement (which it sounds like) that doesn't seem to be an issue. Bungee cords would likely work fine. I'm up for the "handle removal" method though. Either way, it's a PITA whenever you want to go grab a brew.As for the cat... OldFart may very well claim that it was cat hair, but Anita Hill would likely beg to differ.

#18 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10864 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:25 PM

I like the idea of just disconnecting the beer out from the keg. However, you may forget to do that. Is there a way to block the cats from getting up to the tap handles? Can you put things around the faucet handles to prevent them from getting close enough to open them?I've seen doggie traps designed to stop dogs from jumping up on furniture. It is like a low speed mouse trap designed to scare them away.

#19 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:35 PM

I like the idea of just disconnecting the beer out from the keg. However, you may forget to do that. Is there a way to block the cats from getting up to the tap handles? Can you put things around the faucet handles to prevent them from getting close enough to open them?I've seen doggie traps designed to stop dogs from jumping up on furniture. It is like a low speed mouse trap designed to scare them away.

I hate disconnecting liquid out lines, it always seems like some beer leaks every time I pull the QDs off.

#20 No Party JKor

No Party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64408 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:38 PM

I feel like this is the second time in the last few months that i've seen someone ask this question because they were worried about their cats opening their faucets.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users