positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 December 2018 - 06:56 AM

Two jobs for this recipe:

1. Make a batch of regular strength beer with 1450 to build it up for the NHIPA beer
  2. See what I think of these Idaho Gem hops

GRAIN:

11lbs     US 2-ROW

6lbs       Marris Otter

1lbs       Crystal 15L

1lbs       Carapils Copper

0.25lbs  Victory

Mash at 154F

I'll work out the water later but most likely somewhat high sulfate (150 ppm) and moderate chloride (50 ppm).  If they need to be slightly bumped up to hit my mash pH I'll do that.

30 min boil.

~2oz nugget (or whatever I have left) @ 30

1oz Idaho Gem @ 5 mins

3oz Idaho Gem @ 0 mins

3oz Idaho Gem @ WP

ferment on 1450

OG: 1.053

SRM: 6.8

IBU: 48

now is the part where I'm not sure if I should dry hop in the keg or no?  and how much?  I was thinking of not going too crazy.  maybe just 2-3oz per keg.  thoughts?

Edited by pickle_rick, 30 December 2018 - 06:56 AM.

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 January 2019 - 12:17 PM

ended up around 1.049.  76% efficiency into the fermentor.  not too bad for a no sparge I guess.

these hops def have a citrus quality to them in the kettle.  similar to cascade maybe?  we'll see how it is in the beer.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 12:32 PM

Sounds like a good recipe.  I will be curious to see how the hops are in the final beer.

#4 Merlinwerks

Merlinwerks

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationWestern PA

Posted 04 January 2019 - 07:58 PM

...these hops def have a citrus quality to them in the kettle.  similar to cascade maybe?  we'll see how it is in the beer.

I've done two beers with these so far, one is a single hop that I do regularly, varying the hops. I agree with the citrus comment and go so far as to specifically say "pink grapefruit". These are a nice hop, but fairly subtle. I did a NEPA with these and Galaxy, whirlpool only, which I tried for the first time last night and I am really happy with it.

https://www.brewstat...re/5467/igenepa

FWIW, here is a post from Ted when he did a simple pale ale with four different hops for comparison, these used to be called Cleopatra.

"The alpha is 11%, found on a farm about 5 years ago, I have brewed it a few times, started as G1, they changed the name this year.  First year it was mechanically harvest and dried, up to now it was hand picked.  I do a single hop, 1.055 base malt and touch Vienna, first hop addition at whirlpool 1 oz per gallon sitting 15 minutes than start to chill.  Dry hop with .6 oz gallon.  With this recipe you can make 15 -20 gallons, cool in 4 different pots all with unique hops.  Cleopatra won each tasting of 4 beers (twice) as the most inviting and drinkable.  Beating Mosiac and Equinox, Mand B and some others.  I see this as a great session hop, not going to get in your way of the 5th pint."

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 January 2019 - 06:20 AM

I've done two beers with these so far, one is a single hop that I do regularly, varying the hops. I agree with the citrus comment and go so far as to specifically say "pink grapefruit". These are a nice hop, but fairly subtle. I did a NEPA with these and Galaxy, whirlpool only, which I tried for the first time last night and I am really happy with it.

https://www.brewstat...re/5467/igenepa

FWIW, here is a post from Ted when he did a simple pale ale with four different hops for comparison, these used to be called Cleopatra.

"The alpha is 11%, found on a farm about 5 years ago, I have brewed it a few times, started as G1, they changed the name this year.  First year it was mechanically harvest and dried, up to now it was hand picked.  I do a single hop, 1.055 base malt and touch Vienna, first hop addition at whirlpool 1 oz per gallon sitting 15 minutes than start to chill.  Dry hop with .6 oz gallon.  With this recipe you can make 15 -20 gallons, cool in 4 different pots all with unique hops.  Cleopatra won each tasting of 4 beers (twice) as the most inviting and drinkable.  Beating Mosiac and Equinox, Mand B and some others.  I see this as a great session hop, not going to get in your way of the 5th pint."

wow - 10oz in the WP for my 10 gal batch?  that would make this a pretty expensive beer.  I usually do more dry hopping than WP hopping.

#6 Merlinwerks

Merlinwerks

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationWestern PA

Posted 05 January 2019 - 08:41 AM

Yeah, plus the dry-hop :P

I followed his hop schedule for the single hop beer and ended up using 8 oz for 5 gal.

I'll be trying the Strata next, but with my normal hop schedule for that beer

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 January 2019 - 09:03 AM

Yeah, plus the dry-hop :P

I followed his hop schedule for the single hop beer and ended up using 8 oz for 5 gal.

I'll be trying the Strata next, but with my normal hop schedule for that beer

wow.  we bought the same hops.  the strata will be going into my NHIPA.  I'll be mixing it with other hops though.

https://brews-bros.c...help-me-please/

#8 Merlinwerks

Merlinwerks

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationWestern PA

Posted 05 January 2019 - 10:31 AM

Yeah, those were the two "new" hops I got, everything else was your normal "C" hops, amarillo, mosaic, hallertau, etc.

Edited by Merlinwerks, 05 January 2019 - 10:32 AM.

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 11:40 AM

OK, I guess I have a package of these now that I see they were Cleopatra. I remember the recipe Ted posted over at the AHA forum.

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 January 2019 - 12:16 PM

OK, I guess I have a package of these now that I see they were Cleopatra. I remember the recipe Ted posted over at the AHA forum.

have you used them?

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 01:34 PM

have you used them?

No, not yet.

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 January 2019 - 01:36 PM

No, not yet.

I'll let you know then!

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 11:26 AM

A bit of information on them.  I found mine this weekend when looking for other things so I may brew with these sooner than later.

DESCRIPTION: Aroma of pineapple, cherry, candied fruit, herbal and spicy.
AA%: 12-14%
HISTORY: Named after its home state, Idaho Gem is a found hop by Gooding Farms in Parma. It is of unknown lineage.

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:55 PM

A bit of information on them.  I found mine this weekend when looking for other things so I may brew with these sooner than later.

DESCRIPTION: Aroma of pineapple, cherry, candied fruit, herbal and spicy.
AA%: 12-14%
HISTORY: Named after its home state, Idaho Gem is a found hop by Gooding Farms in Parma. It is of unknown lineage.

that's a fairly different description.  I wonder if there is a lot of variation from year to year?

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:59 AM

hydro sample has pleasant hop presence but these are definitely subdued.  I'll dry hop my serving kegs which will probably help but I suspect this will be a fairly low intensity pale ale.  nothing wrong with that :cheers:

Edited by pickle_rick, 11 January 2019 - 11:00 AM.

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:09 AM

In one keg I think I'll do 4oz of idaho gem.

since I have 2 kegs - any suggestions for a dry hop mix for the other keg?  maybe centennial?  simcoe?  chinook?  citra?

maybe 1oz simcoe, 2oz cent and 3oz idaho gem?

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:17 AM

hydro sample has pleasant hop presence but these are definitely subdued.  I'll dry hop my serving kegs which will probably help but I suspect this will be a fairly low intensity pale ale.  nothing wrong with that :cheers:

are you getting any of the aromas that are in the description I posted?

As for the second DH, why not 1- Simcoe - 2 Cent and 2- chinook.  You will have on that is all Idaho Gem and the second with out Idaho Gem may be a nice comparison.

#18 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:24 AM

are you getting any of the aromas that are in the description I posted?

As for the second DH, why not 1- Simcoe - 2 Cent and 2- chinook.  You will have on that is all Idaho Gem and the second with out Idaho Gem may be a nice comparison.

that's a good point.  it will also leave me with enough idaho gem to do something with it on another batch of beer.  granted it will def have to be supplemented with other hops.

aromas....

I'm doing my best here since it's slightly yeasty (hasn't settled yet) and the sample is mostly decarbed because it foamed a lot when I poured it out.

citrus and pineapple (or maybe just a general fruitiness?) with a slight saaz like spice/pepper in the background.

the cherry I can't really detect right now but we'll see later.  maybe a tiny bit herb like but not much.

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:51 AM

poured a little more and took a big smell.  candied pineapple def makes sense for the straight aroma.  the retro smell (as you swallow) has more citrus and spice present.

I might suggest this hop for a heavily hopped saison or summer wheat beer.

#20 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:58 AM

poured a little more and took a big smell.  candied pineapple def makes sense for the straight aroma.  the retro smell (as you swallow) has more citrus and spice present.

I might suggest this hop for a heavily hopped saison or summer wheat beer.

The wheat sounds like it would be nice.

I have to get a few beers on the taps before I can do some experimenting but I may give the wheat idea a go in the spring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users