Photo
- - - - -

NHIPA (my take on NEIPA) - BFBT help me please!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pickle_rick

pickle_rick

Comptroller of <non-pr0n> pr0n

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37017 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 December 2018 - 02:27 PM

I figured I'd make an offical recipe thread for this....

You've heard of NEIPA.  This is NHIPA which hopefully isn't just a crappy version of NEIPA ;)

This is where I'm at now:

10lbs CMC US 2-row

10lbs TF&S Golden Promise

2lbs Briess White Wheat

2lbs Market Basket Quick Oats

1lbs Briess Carapils Copper

mash at 154F

I haven't worked out the water adjustments yet but I'll be pushing the chloride higher as is normal for these beers.  I was thinking about 120ppm.  Sulfate will be around 70ppm??  I need some help here on what the right path is.

30 min boil

FWH 1oz of Columbus

1oz chinook @ 0 mins

1oz citra @ 0 mins

2oz strata @ 0 mins

1oz chinook @ hop stand

1oz citra @ hop stand

3oz strata @ hop stand

ferment on 1450

add dry hop as fermentation is just starting to wind down?  is that right?  should I let the beer sit at higher temps a little longer than normal to let the primary dry hop do it's thing?

1.5oz galaxy, 1oz citra, 1oz amarillo, 1oz mosaic, 2oz strata

then I'll also dry hop in my 2 serving kegs.  I plan on doing them both differently (why not??)

keg 1: 2oz galaxy, 1oz citra, 4oz strata

keg 2: 1oz chinook, 1oz citra, 1oz simcoe, 1oz amarillo, 3oz strata

Holy shit I just realized this beer is going to use almost all of my strata (14oz!!!) :lol:

Specs:

OG: 1.070

SRM: 5.9

IBU: 26

Edited by pickle_rick, 16 December 2018 - 02:28 PM.

#2 drez77

drez77

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13824 posts
  • LocationPalmer, MA

Posted 16 December 2018 - 02:30 PM

I would double the hopstand hops since this is a 10g recipe.  I would also move the FWH addition to about 10 minutes.  How long do you plan to let the 0 minute hops stay at near boiling?  Also, how long and what temp will your hopstand be at?

#3 pickle_rick

pickle_rick

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37017 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 December 2018 - 02:35 PM

I would double the hopstand hops since this is a 10g recipe.  I would also move the FWH addition to about 10 minutes.  How long do you plan to let the 0 minute hops stay at near boiling?  Also, how long and what temp will your hopstand be at?

I don't quite have enough strata to do that but otherwise I could.  is the chinook totally out of place?  I happen to really like chinook but maybe I'm wrong to use it here?

If I move the FWH to 10 mins should I increase the amount to hit the same IBU number?  or a better question - what is the right IBU number?

I start chilling pretty much right away for those 0 min hops.  I'll chill it down to about 150F which goes into the next question...

150ish F.  I usually let them hang out for about 20-30 minutes.

#4 drez77

drez77

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13824 posts
  • LocationPalmer, MA

Posted 16 December 2018 - 05:50 PM

I personally like the Chinook and think as a late addition it will be good.  For a 10G batch I could see 2 oz at 10 minutes as I would normally use 1 oz.  I think on average 30-40 IBU is about where these beers are and I think you get a fair amount form that 0 minute addition and some perception of bitterness from the big DH.  The temp and time for the WP is where I would be so I think that is good.

#5 pickle_rick

pickle_rick

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37017 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 December 2018 - 05:16 AM

I personally like the Chinook and think as a late addition it will be good.  For a 10G batch I could see 2 oz at 10 minutes as I would normally use 1 oz.  I think on average 30-40 IBU is about where these beers are and I think you get a fair amount form that 0 minute addition and some perception of bitterness from the big DH.  The temp and time for the WP is where I would be so I think that is good.

just out of curiosity what would something like 2oz of 13% AA hop give you in terms of IBUs?  In my 10 gal batch it amounts to about 3 IBUs based on the formula I've been using.

#6 drez77

drez77

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13824 posts
  • LocationPalmer, MA

Posted 17 December 2018 - 05:32 AM

just out of curiosity what would something like 2oz of 13% AA hop give you in terms of IBUs?  In my 10 gal batch it amounts to about 3 IBUs based on the formula I've been using.

This is where I think IBU calculators go out the door and you have to do it by feel.  Truthfully for these beers I no longer bother with IBU calculators.  I did run that value into my spreadsheet and I was expecting about 15 IBU and I got 13.60 IBU for 13% at 10 minutes with a OG of 1.067 and 11g of wort.

I find that any lingering bitterness of a traditional IPA really clashes with the fruity (juicy said that just for you Denny) nature of this style.

#7 pickle_rick

pickle_rick

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37017 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 December 2018 - 06:31 AM

doh - I left out the boil time.  I get about 15 IBUs but at least in the same ball park.

is this a little better?

2.5oz columbus @ 10 mins

1oz chinook @ 0 mins

1oz citra @ 0 mins

2oz strata @ 0 mins

2oz chinook @ hop stand

2oz citra @ hop stand

4oz strata @ hop stand

1oz columbus @ hop stand

IBU: ~36

primary and keg hopping the same as before I guess.

Edited by pickle_rick, 17 December 2018 - 06:32 AM.

#8 drez77

drez77

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13824 posts
  • LocationPalmer, MA

Posted 17 December 2018 - 06:33 AM

I like that much better. 

#9 pickle_rick

pickle_rick