#1 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 07 November 2009 - 07:27 AM

A couple of weeks ago I picked up a smack pack of 1272 American Ale II. I haven't brewed with it in a couple of years. I am thinking about using it next weekend and have been browsing the Wyeast site for some ideas. I was thinking of going Pale Ale, IPA, Imperial IPA. Anyone have a suggestion for something or another way to go with this yeast. I love APA, IPA and IIPA but I have brewed more of those than any beer style around. Just wondering what suggestions you guys have. I have lots of Base Malts 2 Row, Marris, Franco Pils, Best Malz Pils. Plenty of hops too to fulfill most suggestions. Thanks again.

#2 BarefootBrews

BarefootBrews

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:05 AM

You could go the route of Brown Ale (or maybe even Brown Porter), Stout, RIS. 1272 should be able to attenuate well enough for those styles and handle the stress of a 9%-10% RIS.

#3 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 07 November 2009 - 04:31 PM

I really like that yeast and I have brewed a lot of different styles with it. Made a great IPA that I am drinking currently with it that is 2-row and amber malt and equal mixtures of cascade, amarillo, and Chinook hops. Another would be an American wheat using hallertauer and saaz. I used Wyeat 1010 on the same recipe and I thought it was better with the 1272.There is a fat tire clone that i have made with it and I thought it turned out better than actual fat tire. I have these recipes in my books if you want any send me a PM and I will get them over to you.

#4 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 08 November 2009 - 02:59 PM

It makes a nice RyePA.

#5 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 09 November 2009 - 04:36 AM

Thanks for the replies. I might go the Amber or Rye PA way to start. Appreciate the suggestions and I will post what I end up brewing on this one. Cheers.

#6 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:45 AM

I really like that yeast and I have brewed a lot of different styles with it. Made a great IPA that I am drinking currently with it that is 2-row and amber malt and equal mixtures of cascade, amarillo, and Chinook hops. Another would be an American wheat using hallertauer and saaz. I used Wyeat 1010 on the same recipe and I thought it was better with the 1272. There is a fat tire clone that i have made with it and I thought it turned out better than actual fat tire. I have these recipes in my books if you want any send me a PM and I will get them over to you.

what is amber malt?

#7 BarefootBrews

BarefootBrews

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 09 November 2009 - 09:22 AM

what is amber malt?

A couple of maltsters carry it; thomas fawcett and crisp come to mind. https://www.northern...ber-malt-1.html I will typically make my own amber malt by toasting English Pale in the oven at 350 dF for 20-30 minutes.

#8 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 09 November 2009 - 03:31 PM

Thanks for the replies. I might go the Amber or Rye PA way to start. Appreciate the suggestions and I will post what I end up brewing on this one. Cheers.

You know you can make a nice Cream ale with that pils, and have a nice yeast cake for an IMPERIAL AMBER! https://www.brews-br...tyle_emoticons/default/headbang.gif

#9 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14755 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:51 AM

It makes a nice RyePA.

Yup. That's what I use in my Rye Pale Ale. It has done very well in the comps I've entered.

#10 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:20 PM

Thanks for the all the great suggestions. I have decided to roll out an Amber Ale for the first brew for 1272. I figure I will kick out a Rye PA, IPA then IIPA following this beer. Here is the recipe. Let me know thoughts or suggestions. I tried to stick to 40 IBU since I would like some flavor from the malts as well and the yeast too. I tend to highly hop most of my beers but wanna go the reverse way this go around. If anyone has a good hop combination to use in replacement of what I have shown let me know. I am open to different hops and have many on hand also. Anyone use the combination that I show too. Going to get the yeast on the stir plate for a Fri night brew. Thanks guys appreciate the help as always:Type: All GrainBatch Size: 5.25 gal Boil Time: 60 min Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU 9.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 83.72 % 0.50 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 4.65 % 0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 4.65 % 0.50 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 4.65 % 0.25 lb Pale Chocolate Malt (200.0 SRM) Grain 2.33 % 1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 28.2 IBU 1.00 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (5 min) Hops 3.6 IBU 1.00 oz Simcoe [9.50 %] (5 min) Hops 6.3 IBU 1.00 oz Simcoe [9.50 %] (0 min) Hops - 1.00 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (0 min) Hops - Beer Profile Est Original Gravity: 1.055 SG Bitterness: 38.0 IBU Est Color: 14.5 SRM Mash at 152

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users