- - - - -

Brewed with Citra

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2009 - 04:52 PM

Had this grandiose idea that i was gonna make a Torpedo clone. But its virtually impossible and so not worth trying to figure out how to recirc. the finished beer thru 3 corny torpedoes for 4 days. When i opened the Citra hop sack i realized these things are a 11% Citrus hop on steroids. These things are sweet. So i totally swayed from my original hop back idea mid brew and added a 20min Citra, 5 min Crystal and 5 min Magnum then a huge Crystal, Citra, and Magnum at flame out on top of a 65 min Magnum. I use a CFC to cool so adding the hops to the Kettle at flame out will give me longer contact time with the wort. I must say, i think i did right by the gravity sample which was dead nuts on after some adjustments pre boil. If i feel a dry hop is necessary, i may add them to the keg. Did a 1:1 beer...1.060-60 IBU's......If anything is like the Torpedo, the aroma should be.

Edited by Blktre, 06 November 2009 - 04:54 PM.

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:24 PM

I have been contemplating buying some of the Citra hops that they have up for sale at Freshhops and brewing with them. Your Beer sounds great to me Blktre. I hope it turns out like you want. I am sure its tough to do the Torpedo clone as well as they do and is detailed in BYO. Happy Fermentation.

#3 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:05 PM

Please report your results.I got some experimental hops to play with from the brewery. No name for them, just a number.MolBasser

#4 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:33 PM

Please report your results.I got some experimental hops to play with from the brewery. No name for them, just a number.MolBasser

Sure will. I guess in the end the aroma from the Citra made me want to taste them as well. Send me a number sometime, id like to play! ;)

#5 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:18 PM

"Torpedoing" hops is basically dry hopping in primary for a homebrewer. I do want to get some Citra though as well as Saphir.

#6 BarefootBrews

BarefootBrews

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:46 PM

I got some experimental hops to play with from the brewery. No name for them, just a number.

Send some to us too. No names required, numbers are sufficient. We will experiment and post results for you. ;)

#7 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 07 November 2009 - 06:17 AM

Send some to us too. No names required, numbers are sufficient. We will experiment and post results for you. ;)

+1 Nice call.

#8 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2009 - 09:37 AM

"Torpedoing" hops is basically dry hopping in primary for a homebrewer. I do want to get some Citra though as well as Saphir.

Pretty much except i prefer a large flamout or hop back simply because my pallet is real susceptible to the phenolics caused by dry hopping. So its very rare i dry hop.

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 10:28 AM

I am waiting for my Cirta's to arrive. Still not sure what I want to brew with them. I was thinking about a pale ale with cirta from start to finish.

#10 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2009 - 04:36 PM

I am waiting for my Cirta's to arrive. Still not sure what I want to brew with them. I was thinking about a pale ale with cirta from start to finish.

Make a hop tea with them. They are pretty instense. I was actually thinking the same next round.

#11 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 08 November 2009 - 01:13 AM

I will just say for the record that torpedoing is not just "dry hopping". There are all sorts of things that happen during torpedoing that don't happen in dry hopping.MolBasser

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 06:56 AM

I will just say for the record that torpedoing is not just "dry hopping". There are all sorts of things that happen during torpedoing that don't happen in dry hopping.MolBasser

Is it worth trying at a homebrew level?

#13 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:23 AM

Is it worth trying at a homebrew level?

Imo....No. The expense is great. But could be fun to do. Correct me if im wrong Basser, but SN Torpedo's hold somewhere close to 80# of hops and 150g of wort. The finished beer is recirc. thru a number of Torpedoes for at least 4 days. So knock that down to the homebrew scale and you will need to find a way to do that. Probably using cornies as the BYO article described doing. So in essence, it not worth the expense. But sure does make a nice beer tho.

#14 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8256 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:39 AM

Basser is totally right. The torpedoing process imparts something more than dry hopping, which my taste buds don't care for like you Andy. I love the torpedo though, for me it's almost perfect. Anyone get into this year's celebration yet? I've blown through a couple cases already, I absolutely love that beer.

#15 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:41 AM

Basser is totally right. The torpedoing process imparts something more than dry hopping, which my taste buds don't care for like you Andy. I love the torpedo though, for me it's almost perfect. Anyone get into this year's celebration yet? I've blown through a couple cases already, I absolutely love that beer.

Daym, I havent seen Celebration yet....2 cases? Its in Lawrence?

#16 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8256 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:50 AM

Daym, I havent seen Celebration yet....2 cases? Its in Lawrence?

Go see your friend Kansan, he's the only one selling that I've seen so far. We were talking he said he still has a case or two of last year's that he swears have held up wonderfully. This year is every bit as good as last years. Every time I crack one open it puts a smile on my face :cheers:

#17 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:10 AM

Nice. He is the number one Celebration seller in all of Ks! I know he holds back vintages. Guess im heading North today.

#18 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 08 November 2009 - 11:01 AM

So i totally swayed from my original hop back idea mid brew and added a 20min Citra, 5 min Crystal and 5 min Magnum then a huge Crystal, Citra, and Magnum at flame out on top of a 65 min Magnum.

Late additions of magnum? Never done this, was it just because it is what you had on hand, or is there a noticable contribution from them? Drinkin Celebration now while gettin ready for the Pats to squish the fish. We have had it here in MA for about a week now.

#19 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2009 - 02:09 PM

Late additions of magnum? Never done this, was it just because it is what you had on hand, or is there a noticable contribution from them? Drinkin Celebration now while gettin ready for the Pats to squish the fish. We have had it here in MA for about a week now.

I didn't buy into it either. But Basser said to go for it as its what they do. So i got talked into it. The aroma character is actually pretty nice and that's what its being used for.

#20 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:02 PM

I didn't buy into it either. But Basser said to go for it as its what they do. So i got talked into it. The aroma character is actually pretty nice and that's what its being used for.

Hey IMHO they are the best bittering, if it can be a DP hop, why not? Anyone got rhyzomes?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users