- - - - -

I made a Rookie mistake

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2009 - 03:02 PM

First brew of the year. 21g of Northern German Alt. Anyways, nailed 42# of grain at 148*. Planned on a 80% eff day which is my norm and much prefer to obtain. Ended up getting 87%. Here is my mistake. I knew i had raised my eff. during my prehop boil. I was wanting 21g of 1.055 at 38 total IBU's. I ended up with a 1.060 at 43 IBU's. What i did was just add more bittering hops to try and match my projected OG with the numbers i had in the Kettle. What I should of done is add some filtered water to the Kettle to dilute my intended preboil gravity and continued on with a hop schedule that took into consideration the extra volume. Yea, i would of had more volume in the end, but i would of gotten my BU:GU a little closer for the style. Now i have a beer that may attenuate more than i prefer for a 1.060 beer because of the Mash Temp.*Kickin myself*

#2 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 11 April 2009 - 04:38 PM

well it's not worth messing with it at this point.... Do you have time to leave it a little longer than you would normally? If it's a little high on the bitterness it might just come into it's on a few weeks down the line.Either way I'm sure it'll be delicious, if not perfectly to style. Was this for a comp?

#3 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:11 PM

Nope, not for a comp, but rather a fundraiser my wife and I started 5 yrs ago. We usually have 300 or so people attend and this particular Alt is highly regarded. I'm not anywhere close worried about the bitterness. I actually had to up the AA's because my gravity in the Kettle at preboil was close to what i wanted for as a starting gravity. The sample actually tasted fairly balanced. Maybe could of been a hair more bitter. I'm more worried about over attenuation. Yea i know 5 points may or may not make a difference, but this beer can easily reach 1.010 because of the low mash temp for the style. But a OG of 60 and a final of 10 could work against me. Just don't want it to appear a tad hot on the tongue. And for these folks, a 60 beer will knock them out after 3 or so.

Edited by Blktre, 11 April 2009 - 05:13 PM.

#4 Kansan

Kansan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:31 PM

this particular Alt is highly regarded. I'm not anywhere close worried about the bitterness. The sample actually tasted fairly balanced. Maybe could of been a hair more bitter. And for these folks, a 60 beer will knock them out after 3 or so.

I knew I shouldn't have been talking this beer up, I ended up putting a jinx on it-- yet I know this batch will be good... Knock out after 3 or so? Not with all the food spread and rocking music you put on for this party every year. If I remember right you had 9 kegs of other styles you brewed all on tap all at the same time. Lots to choose from...

#5 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:21 PM

You worry too much. Call it a Sticke - it'll be great. :devil:

#6 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:25 PM

You worry too much. Call it a Sticke - it'll be great. :rolf:

Ha, a Sticke w/o enuff hops! Maybe call it a N. Gr. Sticke :devil:

#7 TimE

TimE

Peacock Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3584 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:13 PM

First brew of the year. 21g of Northern German Alt. Anyways, nailed 42# of grain at 148*. Planned on a 80% eff day which is my norm and much prefer to obtain. Ended up getting 87%. Here is my mistake. I knew i had raised my eff. during my prehop boil. I was wanting 21g of 1.055 at 38 total IBU's. I ended up with a 1.060 at 43 IBU's. What i did was just add more bittering hops to try and match my projected OG with the numbers i had in the Kettle. What I should of done is add some filtered water to the Kettle to dilute my intended preboil gravity and continued on with a hop schedule that took into consideration the extra volume. Yea, i would of had more volume in the end, but i would of gotten my BU:GU a little closer for the style. Now i have a beer that may attenuate more than i prefer for a 1.060 beer because of the Mash Temp.*Kickin myself*

I doubt many rookies have the technical expertise to even know a mistake was made here let alone be able to explain it as such. Maybe run the fermentation a few degrees colder to slow the yeast down and intentionally try to under attenuate the beer.

#8 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:19 AM

I doubt many rookies have the technical expertise to even know a mistake was made here let alone be able to explain it as such. Maybe run the fermentation a few degrees colder to slow the yeast down and intentionally try to under attenuate the beer.

Good point.Anyways, i normally ferment Alts around 60*. Ive been keeping it around 58*. I too thought about intentionally stalling a few points high. I would really need to catch this where I want it and lager at freezing to keep it there. Thanks for the advice. And is what im planning to do.

#9 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:27 AM

I knew I shouldn't have been talking this beer up, I ended up putting a jinx on it--

Na, no jinx. This was caused from knocking the dust off myself. I haven't brewed in a long while for a few reasons. A extended mash and a long sparge is why I had better eff. I kind of blame other things too as i was trying to clean up my brew room, hook up my brew sink from having to install a new water heater, stuff like that. I just want to say that having good eff. isnt all what is said to be. Keeping things around 80-82% by having a good filter, a decent crush, 60 min mash (with or w/o a mashout), less than a 60min sparge, and keeping PH in its parameters will nail 80% easily. Want more, don't remove grain, just sparge longer.

#10 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 10:45 AM

Good point.Anyways, i normally ferment Alts around 60*. Ive been keeping it around 58*. I too thought about intentionally stalling a few points high. I would really need to catch this where I want it and lager at freezing to keep it there. Thanks for the advice. And is what im planning to do.

Maybe some Beano would help :devil:

#11 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2009 - 03:44 PM

Maybe some Beano would help :)

Unlike somebody else i know, i haven't felt the need to keep that stuff on hand. :devil:

#12 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:27 PM

Unlike somebody else i know, i haven't felt the need to keep that stuff on hand. :)

just a friendly poke in the ribs, as usual.I think the cold ferment, crash and keg will get the trick done. Bottling, you would have been stuck. And the more I brew, the less I get worried about a few temp points missed on the mash (not that I don't try to nail it). But, going low is the one that can be a bit tough. You got it covered IMO. Most brewers wouldn't be able to manipulate with the temp controls you have. And where in the hell is Snowman???????

#13 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:18 PM

just a friendly poke in the ribs, as usual.I think the cold ferment, crash and keg will get the trick done. Bottling, you would have been stuck. And the more I brew, the less I get worried about a few temp points missed on the mash (not that I don't try to nail it). But, going low is the one that can be a bit tough. You got it covered IMO. Most brewers wouldn't be able to manipulate with the temp controls you have. And where in the hell is Snowman???????

probably feels left out since somebody else took his ID (hountzmj) ,

#14 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:52 AM

just call it an alt alt and be done with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users