41 replies to this topic

#1 ranagel99

ranagel99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationCape Girardeau, MO

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:45 AM

What are all the effects of too warm of a fermentation?

#2 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:51 AM

The results could be excessive esters, phenolics, and fusel alcohols. Depending on how warm, and on the gravity of the beer, it could end up being tasting hot and solventy, or merely very fruity.

#3 ranagel99

ranagel99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:52 AM

How about wild yeast growth? Could it encourage wild yeast growth?

#4 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:59 AM

That's a good question. I'll be interested in hearing the answer from someone who knows.

#5 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:16 AM

I think it would encourage all yeast growth.

#6 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:18 AM

Warmer temperatures will speed up microbial activity, yes.

#7 ranagel99

ranagel99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:22 AM

I think it would encourage all yeast growth.

And potentially some wild yeasts could flourish faster than ale yeasts at a certain point then right? Could too hot of fermentation temp also kill off some of the ale yeast and cause off flavors associated with under pitching as well?

#8 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:25 AM

Warmer temperatures will speed up microbial activity, yes.

Do you think it would tend to speed up growth of wild yeast disproportionately to the cultured yeast? Would it make it more likely for wild yeast take take hold over the strain you are using?

#9 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49864 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:26 AM

With proper sanitizing procedure, you shouldn't really have to worry too much about wild yeasts in a single culture fermentation. That being said, it would have to be a really hot fermentation to kill off all the saccaromyces.

#10 ranagel99

ranagel99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:28 AM

With proper sanitizing procedure, you shouldn't really have to worry too much about wild yeasts in a single culture fermentation. That being said, it would have to be a really hot fermentation to kill off all the saccaromyces.

I also just read that the ale yeast could potentially stop early and leave residual sugar behind for wild yeast to potentially clean up if temps are too high??

#11 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:38 AM

Wait a minute ya'll. Here's a few questions for the OP.1. What type (style) of beer are you making?2. What yeast did you use?3. How high of a temp are you talking about?Based on my experience, you will probably brew beer. But, it could have a very alcoholic taste to it and give you nasty headaches.

#12 ranagel99

ranagel99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:46 AM

Wait a minute ya'll. Here's a few questions for the OP.1. What type (style) of beer are you making?2. What yeast did you use?3. How high of a temp are you talking about?Based on my experience, you will probably brew beer. But, it could have a very alcoholic taste to it and give you nasty headaches.

It's me. I am the same guy who started the thread about the band-aid tastes. I have had problems with a amer wheat (1056), porter (1056), apa (1272), and aaa (1272). I am not for sure how hot it is getting. I thought 70 room temp but it could have gotten up to 75 I guess. And if internal temp is 5-10 higher I am looking at potentially 75-85 ferm temp.

#13 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:55 AM

It's me. I am the same guy who started the thread about the band-aid tastes. I have had problems with a amer wheat (1056), porter (1056), apa (1272), and aaa (1272). I am not for sure how hot it is getting. I thought 70 room temp but it could have gotten up to 75 I guess. And if internal temp is 5-10 higher I am looking at potentially 75-85 ferm temp.

I can't speak to if it would cause band-aid flavors but 70F ambient (so 75F+ fermentation temp) is too hot for the yeasts you are talking about.

#14 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:04 AM

I think you're grasping for straws.

#15 ranagel99

ranagel99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:14 AM

I understand that, but I am trying to learn and understand how everything works together and I am tyring to decide what to spend my time and money on next from a process stand point. I thought my problem was sanitation, and it still may be, but after focusing on that I still brewed undrinkable beer. So now I have explored water and fermention temp. It is probably a combination of sanitation and temperature. I just am trying to explore everything because the last thing I want is another bad batch of beer.

#16 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:29 AM

75°F is not an ideal temp and it will cause off flavors but no it will not kill off the introduced strain so unless you've got a serious sanitation issue then there should be no issues with wild yeast competing. Even if you do have a sanitation issue the introduced strain will have a much larger starting population and it will complete the primary fermentation and the wild critters will show up later in a secondary fermentation probably 10-14 days later. Wild yeast I have found tend to throw a white krausen or film.

#17 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:30 AM

what is his problem then? if he doesn't ask questions I'm not sure how the poor guy is going to figure this out.

#18 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:31 AM

I'd suggest getting a fridge or freezer along with a temp controller so that you can control fermentation temps.

#19 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:34 AM

what is his problem then? if he doesn't ask questions I'm not sure how the poor guy is going to figure this out.

I don't know what it is. It's not this so I'm doing him the favor of pointing him in a different direction that might be more fruitful.

#20 ranagel99

ranagel99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:44 AM

I don't know what it is. It's not this so I'm doing him the favor of pointing him in a different direction that might be more fruitful.

What direction are you pointing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users