#1 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:30 PM

I am using Promash, Vista Ultimate 64. I can use Promash just fine and save everything and print. But it keeps hanging everytime I try to close the program when I'm done. End up having to kill it.Might have to check out Beersmith or something.

#2 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:32 PM

Its because Vista sucks.Really.BrewBasser

#3 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26189 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:47 PM

check out chuck d's creation - link - it's a great piece of work.... and vista sucks

#4 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:00 PM

I am using Promash, Vista Ultimate 64. I can use Promash just fine and save everything and print. But it keeps hanging everytime I try to close the program when I'm done. End up having to kill it.Might have to check out Beersmith or something.

Wierd , never had that issue, using Vista premium 64.no that i have a suggestion, but puzzled.

#5 robert41

robert41

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Locationnj

Posted 12 April 2009 - 04:26 AM

its all about the BeerTools

#6 MoreAmmoPlz

MoreAmmoPlz

Comptroller of Ivory Powers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2165 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:28 AM

I've been using Promash ever since I started brewing but recently I have converted to Beersmith and haven't looked back. Not only does it work well on Vista but I like the UI of the program much more than Promash.

#7 MAZ

MAZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:32 AM

Baddog - try running it under Compatibility Mode:https://www.howtogee...atibility-mode/

#8 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48003 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:32 AM

Baddog - try running it under Compatibility Mode:https://www.howtogee...atibility-mode/

This.Also make sure it's resident in a place you have rights to. Its folder defaults to the Program Files directory, and recipes and sessions are saved under there. Vista doesn't really like for you to write to the Program Files directory, so it makes these sort of virtual copies of your stuff.

#9 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:44 AM

Any way to change ProMash files to Beersmith?TIA, Tom

#10 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:07 AM

This.Also make sure it's resident in a place you have rights to. Its folder defaults to the Program Files directory, and recipes and sessions are saved under there. Vista doesn't really like for you to write to the Program Files directory, so it makes these sort of virtual copies of your stuff.

Yeah, I'll try the compatibility mode. I have give full security rights to 'Everyone' already. Hopefully the compatibility mode will work.And to you guys bashing Vista, it really isn't that bad. Too many people bash Vista because it seems to be the en-vogue thing to do. I thought this was hell of funny. I haven't had ANY other problems with it except for the time where I was using unsupported memory on my ASUS Maximus II formula motherboard. Put in 4gigs of G.Skill PC28500 and it has been rock solid! And I've played Crysis maxed out, all kinds of other games, and applications. All that being said, I would move to Ubuntu in a freakin nano-second if it would have better support for my hardware.

#11 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 April 2009 - 01:51 PM

Yeah i made all of it's save file directories be resident in a documents folder called Beer, not that really helped me when I recently re-installed Vista, I managed to remember to save all of my recipes, but forgot to save my Water profile files and my sessiions. (operator error)

#12 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29315 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 12 April 2009 - 03:43 PM

Any way to change ProMash files to Beersmith?TIA, Tom

Other than typing I don't think there is a way. Most of the other apps use the same xml format to allow the files to be transfered. I don't think promash has ever converted from their file format.

#13 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 03:59 PM

Other than typing I don't think there is a way. Most of the other apps use the same xml format to allow the files to be transfered. I don't think promash has ever converted from their file format.

In Promash, when you tell it to print a recipe you can tell it to export to a text file. Would Beersmith be able to import that in?

#14 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29315 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:41 PM

Not really, it would have no idea where in the table to save the fields. I guess with the text file you could build the xml around it but... it would be easier to type the recipe. Iguess if you had a bunch of recipes you could write an app to convert the text files to xml. Can you export to CSV (comma separated value) that would be eaisder to convert than txt

#15 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:45 PM

In Promash, when you tell it to print a recipe you can tell it to export to a text file. Would Beersmith be able to import that in?

OK I did a little search on Google and found this topic that may or may not lead you to the end you seek.

#16 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:47 PM

codemonkey wrote an app that converted ProMash into BeerXML. When Jeff found out about it, he pulled out the pimp hand because he claimed that the .rec file format was his IP. He was wrong but CM didn't want to have to hire a lawyer for a freakin' little app he wrote to help out the community. So he abandoned the idea.

#17 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:18 PM

codemonkey wrote an app that converted ProMash into BeerXML. When Jeff found out about it, he pulled out the pimp hand because he claimed that the .rec file format was his IP. He was wrong but CM didn't want to have to hire a lawyer for a freakin' little app he wrote to help out the community. So he abandoned the idea.

pfft, :) I assume that Jeff is the Promash dude? If so, I think I'll send them an email to tell them to take their product and stick it then go with Beersmith. This plus the problems that I've had with the outdated looking Promash, I don't have a problem with that. Maybe if they brought Promash up to par with Beersmith (The UI in Beersmith puts Promash to shame) people wouldn't need to move over to Beersmith.Maybe I'm overreacting, but I am just getting sick of companies doing this kind of stuff to prevent people from having options.

#18 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:30 PM

Veterans of the GB will remember that I completely went off on him for that. However, I don't think I'd be too hard on him now. He's in a difficult spot in his personal life right now. Not that it's an excuse but he doesn't need me or anybody else telling him that he's a douche nozzle.As for the UI, I think they all suck. I use ProMash and I'd welcome a better way to interact with the s/w. However, both Beersmith and Beer Tools have failed at that. At first glance they look nicer and more modern (not so Win 3.1-looking). Neither one has made the program easier to use however and that's the bottom line to me.

#19 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48003 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:37 PM

Veterans of the GB will remember that I completely went off on him for that. However, I don't think I'd be too hard on him now. He's in a difficult spot in his personal life right now. Not that it's an excuse but he doesn't need me or anybody else telling him that he's a douche nozzle....

Yeah, leave Jeff alone. He's got some really serious issues going on.

#20 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:39 PM

Yeah, leave Jeff alone. He's got some really serious issues going on.

Ok, I will.. But if he has those kind of issues he shouldn't do things that are going to make it worse for him. I'll leave it alone though because I wouldn't want someone jumpin on me in a time of crisis in my life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users