#1 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:28 AM

When I set up my keggin system I took the regulator out of the box, hooked everything up and all was good for about a week and a half..... then the tank ran dry. I was pissed that I had a leak that could dump 5 lbs of C02 in a few days, and that my keg was only a quarter drank when it pooched out. Got an exchanged tank and brought it back, gave things the once over with a buddy and discovered no rubber gasket in the regulator, I should have checked before but I was excited and figured it would be all good out of the box!ANyway, now I have it replace and beer is flowing once more..... shitty though - I had to drink bottled beer for the past 7 days!!!!!! :stabby:

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:37 AM

I had to drink bottled beer for the past 7 days!!!!!! :stabby:

could be worse eh?

#3 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:49 AM

Welcome back ET. I know how you feel. Its rough. I lost some of my tank over the last few days too I think I have a slow leak in one of the seals of the keg. I forgot to turn off the gas and lost some over a few days. Hope it all goes well from here on out. :stabby:

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:16 AM

I had the same problem when I started. My regs take a little plastic or cardboard-like washer that fits into the coupler. But I think I failed to tighten the connection hard enough and I leaked 5lbs of Co2 in a few days, just like you did. Someone mentioned to use plumbers tape on the threads (which I do) but someone else mentioned that this should not be necessary if everything is tightened properly. I once cranked down on the reg nut so hard that I broke it! No joke. I had to take it to my LHBS where the owner repaired it while telling me to lay off the 'roids. It's all a learning experience, Amigo. Cheers and welcome back to draft beer homebrew at home!

#5 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10740 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:24 AM

I can top that. I have a 5 lb for serving and a 20 lb I use for carbing the kegs initially. I got the 20 lb one filled and later that day kegs a beer. I always purge the headspace with co2 and then set to 25-30 lbs to start force carbing. I'll check for leaks in the gaskets and let the keg sit on that 25-30 psi overnight. Got up the next morning and found the 20 lb tank empty. Apparently the pressure opened the relief valve and it stuck partially opened. The topper is I complained out loud the next day and my wife said "oh yeah, I heard the keg whistling yesterday and thought it was normal". Well that was a $25 lesson learned.

#6 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:59 AM

Cool, The Whistling Keg Brewery.

#7 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10740 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 05 November 2009 - 02:17 PM

I did explain that beer doesn't talk and let me know if that happens again.

#8 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:04 PM

+100That would be an awesome name for a home brew setup!

#9 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:37 PM

I had the same problem when I started. My regs take a little plastic or cardboard-like washer that fits into the coupler. But I think I failed to tighten the connection hard enough and I leaked 5lbs of Co2 in a few days, just like you did. Someone mentioned to use plumbers tape on the threads (which I do) but someone else mentioned that this should not be necessary if everything is tightened properly. I once cranked down on the reg nut so hard that I broke it! No joke. I had to take it to my LHBS where the owner repaired it while telling me to lay off the 'roids. It's all a learning experience, Amigo. Cheers and welcome back to draft beer homebrew at home!

Using teflon tape on the threads wouldn't do anything if there was a leak at the gasket between the reg and tank. The nut on the regulator side is a swivel nut, so the gas would just leak through the gap between the stem and the swivel nut.

#10 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:58 PM

funny, i figured you guys would all have similar tales - that's why I love this place!

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:23 PM

funny, i figured you guys would all have similar tales - that's why I love this place!

Buddy: This is why the forums are great... someone has ALWAYS been there & done that. You can't even drop a dirty diaper into your primary and be the first... it's been done! Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users