#1 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:40 AM

They have been out a month now so I'm curious what others have been brewing with them.Last year I made a bock from the 2487 and was very happy with it. On the list of kegs with a very short lifespan in my kegerator. Fantastic in your face munich maltiness effect that I love. This year I was thinking I may go with a doppelbock using the same strain but the 2782 Staro Prague Lager also has me interested. I think I like the idea of working the fruit and bready malt flavors they claim it throws in but I'm not sure which style. Right now I'm thinking a lighter Bo Pils to showcase the yeast character or do the complete opposite, ferment a doppel on it, and see just how much character I can get the yeast to throw.Decisions decisions....

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54410 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 09:03 AM

Over here, I mentioned that I had grabbed some of this. I originally planned to use the Hella-Bock for a Vienna Lager, but then I read that the 2782 Staro-Prague can be used for all sorts of lagers including bocks, doppels, Viennas, etc. along with being used for Czech Lager production. I made a starter for the 2782 yesterday and it's crazy active already... I'm going to make a "Prague Pilsner" with it tomorrow and I found some Saaz pellets in my freezer so I slightly adjusted the recipe...Prague Pilsner8.5 lbs Belgian Castle Pilsner Malt1 lb Vienna4 oz CaraFoam (mash temp 150°)1 oz Saaz pellets 5.9% for 60 mins1/2 oz Saaz pellets 5.9% for 151/2 oz Saaz pellets 5.9% for 3Wyeast 2782 Staro-Prague lager yeastOG: 1.050, FG: 1.012, IBU: 33, SRM: 4, ABV: 4.8%In that other thread, there is also a recipe for a Vienna Lager I plan to make with the 2782 on the next batch. Cheers.

#3 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 04 November 2009 - 09:18 AM

Sorry there ken I missed your thread in the recipe section :cheers: I may follow a similar path with my brews as well though I am thinking I'll go a little heavier on the munich/vienna since I've got a lot of it in inventory right now.

#4 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2009 - 09:27 AM

I'm doing a Gr. Pilsner using the European strain and the brewery where Brick works got in a bunch of Slovenian Celeia hops. I ended up with 2#'s of those for uh, free. :cheers: Ive never used these hops before but this is the description of them.."A hybride between Savinjski Golding, Aurora and Slovenian wild hops. It has Nobel and pleasant hoppy notes aroma."Should make a nice Pils.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54410 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 09:40 AM

Andy: Those hops sound mysteriously yummy. Please report your findings.Here is the description of the 2782...Product Details Beer Styles: Bohemian Pilsner, Munich Helles, Vienna Lager, Oktoberfest/Marzen, Munich Dunkel, Schwarzbier, Traditional Bock, Maibock/Hellesbock, Dopplebock, Eisbock Profile: This yeast will help create medium to full body lagers with moderate fruit and bready malt flavors. The balance is slightly toward malt sweetness and will benefit from additional hop bittering. A fantastic strain for producing classic Bohemian lagers. Alc. Tolerance 11% ABV Flocculation mediumAttenuation 70-74% Temp. Range 50-58°F (10-14°C)Check out all of those appropriate styles you could make with this yeast. Ah, versatility.

#6 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2009 - 09:54 AM

I went back and forth between the European 2247 and the 2782. I decided to go with a higher attenuation strain going for the use of more hops. Ive done alot of BoPils over the years, so a nice clean, crip German sounded like a plan for me.You will like the 2782!

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54410 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 10:03 AM

I went back and forth between the European 2247 and the 2782. I decided to go with a higher attenuation strain going for the use of more hops. Ive done alot of BoPils over the years, so a nice clean, crip German sounded like a plan for me.You will like the 2782!

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. I have also used a lot of these yeasts for pils production and it's hard to believe how many there are... 2124, 830, 802, 800, 2278, 2000, 2001 and now this one. All of them are great yeasts and they just vary slightly in their character. 2278 drops like a MOFO and leaves you with ultra bright beer. Cheers!

#8 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 04 November 2009 - 10:19 AM

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. I have also used a lot of these yeasts for pils production and it's hard to believe how many there are... 2124, 830, 802, 800, 2278, 2000, 2001 and now this one. All of them are great yeasts and they just vary slightly in their character. 2278 drops like a MOFO and leaves you with ultra bright beer. Cheers!

I have to admit the huge pile of yeast options in this style is somewhat intimidating. Especially when you're waiting months for the finished product you want it to be the best it can be. I think I'll go with 2782 and some spicier hops to balance out the malt. Good stuff from you more frequent lager brewers, thanks for that!

#9 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

The Drunk Dump Truck Euphanism.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 04 November 2009 - 10:29 AM

I'm guessing it's pretty safe to assume that Staro Prague is the strain from Staropramen? That would lead me to believe it would be a decent pils yeast. I may have to check it out next time I hit up the LHBS. I'm all out of Saaz though.

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54410 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 10:45 AM

Odacrem: I assumed that too, but I haven't had Staropramen so not sure on the character. I made some beautiful Czech Lagers this past spring with 2001 which is Pilsner Urquell's yeast.StrangeBrewer: Good luck with your beer... let's compare notes after these beers are ready to drink. I originally thought I was out of Saaz so my original plan was to use some Hallertau Mittelfrüh. They have a bit of that spicy-thing going on. But when I looked further I found two ounces of Saaz at an unusually high 5.9% so that's what I'm going with. Cheers!

#11 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:10 AM

But when I looked further I found two ounces of Saaz

:cheers: :devil: :D Light weight......Lol..Kidding aside. I do a Impy Pils Hop bursted with Hallertau Mittlefru and 2124. Lovely beer. Never clears whatsoever. The hops are so thick its impossible for it to clear.Ask Mtn about my BoPils and 2124. Its a award winner using Sterling. He has been the only one to pick out the Sterling and call BS on the Saaz. Good for him. But ive never had the chance to try and fool him again with using Sterling and Saaz at zero. I also like to use a dab or Roasted Barley with my Pilsner's. That Golden/Orange color is just so darn pretty.

Edited by Blktre, 04 November 2009 - 11:10 AM.

#12 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

The Drunk Dump Truck Euphanism.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:19 AM

Odacrem: I assumed that too, but I haven't had Staropramen so not sure on the character. I made some beautiful Czech Lagers this past spring with 2001 which is Pilsner Urquell's yeast.

If I remember correctly, the Staropramen lager that's very popular around England was pretty light in both malt and hops compared to Urquell. I only tried it once, I was on a real ale kick at the time.

#13 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54410 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:35 AM

:devil: :D :cheers: Light weight......Lol..Kidding aside. I do a Impy Pils Hop bursted with Hallertau Mittlefru and 2124. Lovely beer. Never clears whatsoever. The hops are so thick its impossible for it to clear.Ask Mtn about my BoPils and 2124. Its a award winner using Sterling. He has been the only one to pick out the Sterling and call BS on the Saaz. Good for him. But ive never had the chance to try and fool him again with using Sterling and Saaz at zero. I also like to use a dab or Roasted Barley with my Pilsner's. That Golden/Orange color is just so darn pretty.

:cheers: Well, you guys know that I'm not a HUGE hophead like the rest of you... um... hopheads. Btw, I was going to mention that if someone REALLY wanted to make a nice Czech Lager and didn't have the Saaz, you could absolutely try it with Sterling and see how it came out. I use Sterling in my Blonde Ale and I love it! Very Saaz-like spiciness... maybe not as refined as Saaz but a very possible sub, IMO. Hallertau Mittelfrüh is now becoming one of my favorites in that department too. Cheers!

#14 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:48 AM

:cheers: Well, you guys know that I'm not a HUGE hophead like the rest of you... um... hopheads. Btw, I was going to mention that if someone REALLY wanted to make a nice Czech Lager and didn't have the Saaz, you could absolutely try it with Sterling and see how it came out. I use Sterling in my Blonde Ale and I love it! Very Saaz-like spiciness... maybe not as refined as Saaz but a very possible sub, IMO. Hallertau Mittelfrüh is now becoming one of my favorites in that department too. Cheers!

I love Sterling and it works great in pilsners. But imo, you can't call it Bohemian without something Bohemian in it. Andy tried to slip some Sterling past me and I called him out on it. He's never let me forget that. Again, great hop, makes a very good pilsner but it's not a Czech pils without Saaz or at least some Tettnang.

#15 boo boo

boo boo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationHeart's Delight, Newfoundland

Posted 04 November 2009 - 03:12 PM

I did a few lagers using sterling.... nice hop indeed. Still I like me a goodlager from either, Saaz, Tettnanger, Hallertau or Hersbrucker. And while not a pilsner yeastfind that WY2042 makes a killer lager. Lately I have been using more nd more dry yeastrecipies. S-189, W34/70 all have worked great and made some memorable lagers. Still,I seem to think that most liquid strains I've used made better ( crisper ) lagersthen the dry yeast strains, even though my regime stays the same.

#16 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:52 PM

I have plans to brew a Bo Pils with Saaz with the Sparo yeast. I am planning to give the Hella Bock yeast a run too. I am not sure what to brew with the Hella but I could use my Traditional Bock recipe from last year too. Now seeing the versatility of the Sparo yeast (thanks Ken for the info post) I might have to try it in a Vienna Lager, the Bo Pils and maybe a Maibock. I think I am going to brew two of these lagers over the Thanksgiving weekend.

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54410 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:29 AM

Mashing that Prague Pilsner recipe as I type! Looking forward to seeing how this yeast works in this beer and a nice Vienna too. Cheers.

#18 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54410 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:55 AM

Update: I made that Prague Pilsner today and after I oxygenated my wort, I carefully poured out a little of the starter liquid. I left the kitchen and came back about 30 seconds later and the whole kitchen smelled unreal from that starter liquid. I put my face right in the sink and took a big whiff... HOLY COW, what an unbelievable smell from this yeast! Hopefully this will spell success for all of you guys about to use this yeast. The beer is in primary and I will report back with results. Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users