#1 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:26 PM

Wow.This is a very interesting beer. Its hop aroma is over the top. Full of orange citrus (and a hint of cat pee).It is hopped with green Centennial and Simcoe hops. You know how much I love simcoe....:cheers:However, the wet hops seem to have suppressed the majority of the massive cat urine smell these hops usually impart.At least on first opening. I obtained a 22oz bomber of the beer and am sampling it in a special beer snifter. First overall impression is that of massive citrus, but then as it sits in the glass the cat urine takes over. I tried a taste at work and didn't let it sit in the glass long enough and I am now writing as I continue to taste.At first I thought I might like this beer, but now its simcoeness is taking over and it is becoming unpalatable.Very dry finish and little malt backbone to back up the huge IBU rating.Good flavor if you like simcoe, I would recommend it for you.MolBasser

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:34 PM

Sounds like a nice beer to me. I am a Simcoe fan. Don't think I will get to sample it though, never seen it here in my neck of the woods.

#3 dondewey

dondewey

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11730 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:08 PM

Next you are going to tell us that cilantro tastes like soap... LOVE simcoe.

#4 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:11 PM

It was in the VIP tent of the World Beer Festival in Durham a few years back. Damn tasty beer.

#5 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 04 November 2009 - 03:58 AM

hah sounds yummy. you should come to halifax and try the SMaSH Simcoe DIPA on tap down at the Heart & Thistle, Basser! I think they must have strays trying to get into the brewery from all that cat pee aroma!

#6 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9738 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 04 November 2009 - 04:38 AM

I love simcoe too. I am trying to forget the urine comment because I fear that it is one of those things that next time I have something with a ton of simcoe, I will think of it, "notice" that, and not be able to drink it anymore.I like the Weyherbacher Simcoe IIPA

#7 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10755 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 04 November 2009 - 05:47 AM

I like the Weyherbacher Simcoe IIPA

I used to love this but the prices have become crazy. I live upstate NY about 3 hours away and Weyerbacher beers (mostly high alcohol onces available) are pushing $13. I really like all their beers but at that price I find something else. I hope to visit Mom in Pa (5 miles from Easton) where I should be able to get it cheaper.* wonders if SNBC will have an all simcoe IPA now that they got Basser off the brewing floor * :cheers:

#8 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:31 AM

I tried this over the weekend and thought it was a solid IPA, but didn't think it was amazing or anything. I've never had any cat-pee issues with Simcoe, which I have used a lot in my homebrew IPAs, despite multiple warnings about this hops from the Chico gang.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users