#1 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:38 PM

I routinely get e-mails for continuing legal education seminars. For the most part, they get deleted. But this one caught my eye. It is a full day on Owning & Operating a Winery or Brewery. If I lived in the San Diego area, I'd probably take a vacation day and pony up the money to go this. But, given that I'm in NorCal and not remotely to the point where I would venture out, I won't. I think it would be interesting to attend. It is open to non-lawyers. I thought I would put out the information if anyone was thinking about it.

#2 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:52 PM

Does kinda sound like an interesting course. I'm sure my head would be spinning afterwards from all the legalese. Of course I;m on the east coast so I won't be going, but I'm sure there are some eye opening speakers in that bunch. I am not, however, so sure that San Diego "is home to more microbreweries than any other American City", according to "one report". I think that is Portland, OR.

#3 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:57 PM

Does kinda sound like an interesting course. I'm sure my head would be spinning afterwards from all the legalese. Of course I;m on the east coast so I won't be going, but I'm sure there are some eye opening speakers in that bunch. I am not, however, so sure that San Diego "is home to more microbreweries than any other American City", according to "one report". I think that is Portland, OR.

You never know exactly what you are going to get at these. I went to a full day on Mold. Although I got 7 hours of legal credit for it, only 1 hour was devoted to law. The rest was all technica/medical. It was still fascinating though. I wouldn't let the "legalese" stop me from going if this was where I was headed. Would only allow you to have better and more efficient conversations with an attorney.

#4 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:59 PM

I wouldn't let the "legalese" stop me from going if this was where I was headed.

I agree with you there. But I think you also have a bit more experience with it - aren't you an attorney or have a law degree or something? I do insurance investigations so I have a little bit of experience with it. It's mainly the contracts and such that send me spinning.

#5 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 03 November 2009 - 05:13 PM

I agree with you there. But I think you also have a bit more experience with it - aren't you an attorney or have a law degree or something? I do insurance investigations so I have a little bit of experience with it. It's mainly the contracts and such that send me spinning.

You are right about my experience. I am a contracts attorney, so I'd probably be ahead of the curve. But for me, it would be a very new area of law than what I currently do. I'd only be slightly ahead. If I were in private practice and had a client that was looking to put a business model together for a brewery, I'd practically mandate that they go. And I'd go with them. I think it would be a great learning opportunity. If I was in private practice, I would go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users