19 replies to this topic

#1 BeerMaker

BeerMaker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:42 AM

Its been 2+ years since I last brewed. I would like to make a starter as I used to, but my DME is hard as a rock, plus it is over 2 years old. So my question is, is there something else that I can use to make a starter? I have ton of priming sugar still, would I be able to boil some water, add the priming sugar, cool it to pitching temp? Or, would I be better off just pitching from the pouch? Also, its been so long I forgot how much DME I used, I was looking in the FAQ sections and did not find anything on making a starter. Maybe making a starter would be a topic for the FAQ also? I can always dig through my notes and books, but sometimes it is just easier to come here.Thanks!

#2 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:51 AM

That DME will still hunt. Just bust it up as best you can and boil it.BrewBasser

#3 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:06 AM

I asked the same thing not too long ago, this should help

#4 boo boo

boo boo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationHeart's Delight, Newfoundland

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:02 AM

Two words... Malta GoyaBTW ditch the idea of using sugar as a starter. It isn't going to do your starter yeast any good.

#5 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:07 AM

Two words... Malta GoyaBTW ditch the idea of using sugar as a starter. It isn't going to do your starter yeast any good.

Agreed. You want your starter to be as healthy as possible. That ain't happening with just sugar.BrewBasser

#6 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:10 AM

+2 on not using sugar. What can happen is the yeast can lose the ability to ferment maltose, which would just be horrible for pitching into a wort full of it.

#7 BikeBrewer

BikeBrewer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ontario

Posted 11 April 2009 - 03:45 PM

If you've got a pressure canner you can can mason jars of wort and then just dump them into whatever you use as a starter. Hell, you can also leave room in the jar and put the yeast right into the jar, though it's not optimum. I started canning starter wort a couple years ago and I can't believe how much easier and quicker it is to make starters. I just dump the DME into a jar, add the right amount of water, then put them in the canner and pressure can them. It's hard to beat.

Edited by BikeBrewer, 11 April 2009 - 03:46 PM.

#8 Kansan

Kansan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 11 April 2009 - 04:41 PM

If you've got a pressure canner you can can mason jars of wort and then just dump them into whatever you use as a starter. Hell, you can also leave room in the jar and put the yeast right into the jar, though it's not optimum. I started canning starter wort a couple years ago and I can't believe how much easier and quicker it is to make starters. I just dump the DME into a jar, add the right amount of water, then put them in the canner and pressure can them. It's hard to beat.

I always make a couple of dozen starters at a time with DME, to lazy to do AG. I mix it all in the brew kettle with yeast nutrient in very hot water, then turn the heat back on and stir long enough till I feel it is mixed well. I then put the jars right up to the kettle spigot and fill them carefully, lid and band them, and pressure cook for 15 min. So BikeBrewer, you are just dumping DME into each jar, (any yeast nutrient?), adding water, capping and pressure cooking? I thought Jamil said something about that in one of his podcasts, but I cannot seem to find that show. Have you ever done it another way, if so have you noticed any differences in color or trub in the bottom of the canning jar?

#9 BikeBrewer

BikeBrewer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:42 PM

I just measure out the DME into each jar, add nutrient and water, then pressure can at 12 psi for 15-20 minutes. I haven't noticed any difference in colour, but I definitely have more trub than I did when I did a whole batch and siphoned it out. I've got some old grain that I'm going to use to make more starters because it's laying around and a lot cheaper than DME, but you can't beat DME in the jar and pressure canning for ease of canning.

#10 jwatkins56550

jwatkins56550

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:03 PM

using just sugar will get the yeast acclimated to eating simple sugars, so when you pitch that yeast to a beer, that has simple and complex sugars, it will leave it under attenuated because the yeast wont ferment the complex sugars

#11 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19205 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:59 AM

Yeast are really amazing creatures. Most organisms take thousands of generations to evolve, but yeast can evolve the inability to digest a key nutrient (maltose) in just a few days.

using just sugar will get the yeast acclimated to eating simple sugars, so when you pitch that yeast to a beer, that has simple and complex sugars, it will leave it under attenuated because the yeast wont ferment the complex sugars

#12 boo boo

boo boo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationHeart's Delight, Newfoundland

Posted 12 April 2009 - 02:02 PM

I can leftover wort to use as starters but don't use DME to can with. Too expensive.

#13 BikeBrewer

BikeBrewer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 02:42 PM

I can leftover wort to use as starters but don't use DME to can with. Too expensive.

I had some left over from my switch to all-grain and I bought some equipment from someone else getting out of brewing who gave me what he had left. I'll probably just be using extra wort from now on.

#14 JoshLikesBeer

JoshLikesBeer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 06:11 PM

Also, its been so long I forgot how much DME I used

I usually use 100 grams of DME in a quart of water.

#15 cbbrown40

cbbrown40

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationHelendale, Ca

Posted 12 April 2009 - 06:19 PM

I agree get some Malta Goya

#16 BeerMaker

BeerMaker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 12 April 2009 - 06:28 PM

Thanks for the reply's everyone. I ended up useing the DME, so far so good it appears.Good info on the use of sugar, I was thinking that wouldn't be the best idea, but though it wouldn't hurt to ask.I was hoping to brew this weekend, but didn't happen. Maybe Tuesday or Wednesday.Thanks again!

#17 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 18 April 2009 - 06:11 AM

OK, I see Malta Goya mentioned as a starter; so I just use it in place of my DME? I wasn't aware that I could do that, sure sounds simple enough. There is a LARGE hispanic community here & Malta is readily available. I'm almost out of DME & LHBS is 30 miles away.

#18 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:05 AM

I just made a small starter using Malta Goya to wake up my 2112 yeast in the jar I stored it it. I did 3/4 cup malta to 1/4 cup boiled water gravity came in at 1.040. Will pitch that this afternoon after I am done brewing. Sure was easier than DME.

#19 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:11 AM

Just checking on my wake up starter from this morning with Malta and 2112 is rocking away foamy and carbon dioxide rising to the top. Hmm I like this Malta stuff anyone do a starter with malta on a stir plate?

#20 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:13 PM

Just checking on my wake up starter from this morning with Malta and 2112 is rocking away foamy and carbon dioxide rising to the top. Hmm I like this Malta stuff anyone do a starter with malta on a stir plate?

yep, works fine, I use 3 bottle Malta to 1 bottle of water and a tsp of nutrient for a 1.5 liter starter. Expensive compared to DME though. With the Malta Starters I let it finish crash and decant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users