Photo
- - - - -

I keep seeing that Bud Red Lager commercial...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:12 AM

... and I would happily use this 940 one more time.  Pilsner malt, some Vienna, 4 ounces each of Special B plus some Thomas Fawcett & Sons Dark crystal #2 and then an ounce of Carafa to bring out the RED.  Magnum to bitter, two ounces of Hallertau in the last 15 minutes and then the 940.  When I had my Bordertown Dark Lager on tap, a number of people commented on how much RED was in it.  That beer has two ounces of Carafa III in it so the addition of Special B and the British Crystal (which has a surprising amount of red in it) could work nicely.  

#2 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:19 AM

Looks delicious. I like your bittering idea here too. Low IBU?

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:22 AM

I just worked up a recipe based on the above and it came to 30 IBUs.  20 from the Magnum and 10 from the late Hallertau additions.  Not sure if I'll make this but there's a good chance I will.  MLPA with 1056 this weekend and maybe this Red Lager the following weekend and finally a proper retirement for this 940.  :P  

I'm still noodling with the recipe (4 ounces each of the crystal or 6?) and I show Omega Bayern for the yeast (which it could be) so it's a work in progress.

xm5oja.png

#4 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:44 PM

My last really red beer was from 7% caramunich III and 1.4% Midnight wheat.

pHUx4K7.png
RVax6LE.png?1

Edited by Steve Urquell, 06 June 2018 - 03:47 PM.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 05:01 PM

Whoo, nice Chils.  Yeah, I'm always surprised at how much RED you can get from MW, Carafa, etc.  Add a little reddish crystal in there and you're set.  That's beautiful.  

#6 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 09 June 2018 - 11:57 AM

Yea, wow! that looks great.

I'm brewing a barleywine next, and would love to get a nice red like that too!

#7 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:15 PM

Yea, wow! that looks great.

I'm brewing a barleywine next, and would love to get a nice red like that too!

I'm doing a barleywine in 2 more batches, what's your design plan? I'm unsure what direction I want to head with it. Thinking some type of American Strong with barleywine guidelines....

#8 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:41 PM

I'm doing a barleywine in 2 more batches, what's your design plan? I'm unsure what direction I want to head with it. Thinking some type of American Strong with barleywine guidelines....

Yea, when I do Barleywine, I always shoot for something like SN Bigfoot. It's just the most iconic of the style IMO.

I ordered a #of chinook for the batch. not that I'll use it all, but I want hops on hand for brewing. haha. 

Ok, also, I'm going to be streaming this brew on Twitch. Each time I stream I want to have like, a "gimmick" so I'm doing a parti-gyle brew with this one. I'm going to mash all my base grain in my tun, then I'll do a mini mash with specialty. that way the small beer can be very pale, while I shoot for a kind of reddish barleywine. Minimashing will allow me to do that.

I can't wait, just gotta buy the grain!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users