#1 Noontime

Noontime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach FL

Posted 01 November 2009 - 03:09 PM

I'm want to make a pumpkin ale but can't use standard grains, and I don't want to use the sorghum extract I normally use. Is there any way to mash or partial mash pumpkin? Maybe using amylase? All the recipes I see are standard beers with pumpkin added (sometimes not even that...just the spices). Are there any fermentables to be gotten from canned or fresh pumpkin? And if so...how?Thanks for any advice.

#2 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:40 AM

Yes there are some fermentable that can be extracted from pumpkin. I don't know the exact details, but it can be mashed.

#3 Fatman

Fatman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationWest Chester, PA

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:01 AM

I've mashed pumpkin before - I cooked it low and slow in the oven, and added it into the mash with rice hulls because its so sticky. (I batch sparge, so the rice hulls may not have been necessary). Strange brew uses a 1.012 figure for potential extract. I think the consensus is that it doesn't add any flavor - I would concur on that, though it gave my beer an orange tint.This year, I coated the pumpkin in brown sugar, and cooked it in the oven, then added it to the boil. The final product should be ready this weekend.The first year I used pumpkin, I added raw chunks to the boil. The beer had a pretty noticeable vegetal taste.

#4 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47988 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 03 November 2009 - 05:06 PM

I was all set to tell you that you needed to mash it until I read of the issues with regular grains. Given that limitation, I wouldn't bother mashing it. Just throw it in the boil (after cooking it if fresh, or straight from the can). But you'll still have to use extract. Pumpkin has anywhere from 4 to 8 points of potential extract per pound. (I think Strangebrew's estimate is a little high.) It's not enough for a beer by itself.

#5 stangbat

stangbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKC Metro, KS side

Posted 03 November 2009 - 05:25 PM

I've never made a pumpkin beer, but all the advice I've heard is to skip the pumpkin and just spice the beer to get the flavor. Seems like pumpkin's actual contribution to the beer is negligible. A few years ago I read an article by Dan Norton of River City Brewing (don't know if he is still there) about a pumpkin ale he made. I asked him about it at the Parkville Brewfest and he said, "Never again." I also found an interview with him where he says the same thing: https://beeradvocate.com/articles/552

#6 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9734 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 03 November 2009 - 06:16 PM

I agree. I have made a very malty brown ale with pumpkin pie spice that everyone could swear they tasted the non-existant pumpkin. However, I have also has some others that I know did mash pumpkin and......I could swear I tasted the pumpkin. I wont try to dissuade you from trying it with, but I and many others have had good results without. You decide. I will say if you roast it like some are saying, that some of that roasted squash flavor could come through as a caramelly sweetness. May be worth the effort.

#7 Noontime

Noontime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach FL

Posted 06 November 2009 - 06:23 AM

Thanks everyone for the info. I have to make gluten free beer so standard grains aren't an option. I've been using sorghum extract and have had some successes (and failures) but I have to order that via mail and was hoping to make something this week while on vacation. I also notice a slight "tangyness" from the sorghum which I was hoping to not add to this. Using pure pumpkin I was thinking would give a big robust pumpkin flavor.I'm sure I'll do something this week anyway. I'll post the results if anyone cares. I'm assuming no one really does since the gluten restriction isn't something most others deal with and using just the spices seems to be just as effective for the flavor.Thanks again! Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users