17 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 10:42 AM

Usually a few times over the course of milling the grain for a batch I have to fumble around with my barley crusher b/c the roller spins but the grain isn't getting pulled through. What causes this and what can I do to avoid this issue? Right now I usually just empty the hopper and fill it back up as many times as needed until the grains start getting pulled through. It's pretty annoying.

#2 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 01 November 2009 - 10:47 AM

just guessing but maybe the passive roller has dirty bearings and is sticking

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 10:48 AM

just guessing but maybe the passive roller has dirty bearings and is sticking

How do I get to them and clean them out? I've only used this thing 4 times I think.

#4 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 01 November 2009 - 10:53 AM

Is this adjustable? If so, I would adjust the gap wider.

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 10:57 AM

Is this adjustable? If so, I would adjust the gap wider.

I'd hate to affect my crush and hurt my efficiency...

#6 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 01 November 2009 - 11:46 AM

How do I get to them and clean them out? I've only used this thing 4 times I think.

No idea since I have a JSP. And I can't imagine it's gunked up after 4 times. I'd ask the manufacturer if an owner doesn't figure it out.

#7 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 12:17 PM

No idea since I have a JSP. And I can't imagine it's gunked up after 4 times. I'd ask the manufacturer if an owner doesn't figure it out.

e-mail sent to the manufacturer - I will report back any useful feedback...

#8 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26204 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 01 November 2009 - 12:54 PM

a different quick fix is to reach under the mill (leaving the hopper full) and manually rotate the passive roller a few times. After you have done this try it with the motor/drill again and it will probably work. I've done this with my monster a couple times when I had feed issues and it works like a charm.

Edited by ewanzel, 01 November 2009 - 12:54 PM.

#9 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10757 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 01 November 2009 - 06:46 PM

I get this sometimes if I completely fill the hopper before starting to mill. I have a paint brush that I use to clean with I find that I can stick the handle down and mix the grains a little and the problem goes away. I also find that if I start with a partially filled hopper and start to mill and then fill it up it works fine. I notice at the end of milling the grains are usually entering the rollers verically and I suspect when I fill the hopper full to start they are laying more horizontal and the weight of the full hopper prevents the grains from getting betweek the rollers.Are you still using factory gap or did you tighten the gap up? I only had this problem when I moved the gap.

#10 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:12 AM

I get this sometimes if I completely fill the hopper before starting to mill. I have a paint brush that I use to clean with I find that I can stick the handle down and mix the grains a little and the problem goes away. I also find that if I start with a partially filled hopper and start to mill and then fill it up it works fine. I notice at the end of milling the grains are usually entering the rollers verically and I suspect when I fill the hopper full to start they are laying more horizontal and the weight of the full hopper prevents the grains from getting betweek the rollers.Are you still using factory gap or did you tighten the gap up? I only had this problem when I moved the gap.

Didn't touch the gap.

#11 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10757 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:14 AM

Didn't touch the gap.

Next time try the partial fill to get it started and see if that works. Once I get mine started I can completely fill the hopper no problems. Are you using a drill or the hand crank? (I had it happen with both)

#12 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:15 AM

Next time try the partial fill to get it started and see if that works. Once I get mine started I can completely fill the hopper no problems. Are you using a drill or the hand crank? (I had it happen with both)

cordless drillage

#13 Bigeasy

Bigeasy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:01 AM

cordless drillage

I had this problem with a cordless as well.Just didn't seem like it had enough power to grab the grain.I didn't investigate it really,just went with corded and the problem was solved.

#14 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:09 AM

I had this problem with a cordless as well.Just didn't seem like it had enough power to grab the grain.I didn't investigate it really,just went with corded and the problem was solved.

I may do this just to give my makita a break. Corded drills are pretty cheap I think...

#15 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26204 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:35 AM

I may do this just to give my makita a break. Corded drills are pretty cheap I think...

check your local pawn shop. with the construction industry in the shitter I was able to pick up a beafy corded dewalt that is in great shape for $15

#16 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 05 November 2009 - 06:04 AM

I'm noticing my Valley Mill is starting to have a few problems here.I believe the knurling starts to get worn away and the grip from driven roller, grain husk, to passive roller goes down and ...well it just slips.Planning my uber massive 5" smooth four roller all driven cascade mill. I've had it with knurling!

#17 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 06:08 AM

I'm noticing my Valley Mill is starting to have a few problems here.I believe the knurling starts to get worn away and the grip from driven roller, grain husk, to passive roller goes down and ...well it just slips.Planning my uber massive 5" smooth four roller all driven cascade mill. I've had it with knurling!

mine def isn't worn down yet :stabby:

#18 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:00 AM

If the the knurling on the rollers gets filled and packed with grain dust, it can keep the roller from grabbing the husk, just the same as if the knurling is worn down. I always brush the dust out with a paint brush after each use. Just a thought.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users