LIME ON DE COCONUT
3 Gallon Batch:
OG = 27 Brix (1.117)
FG = 12 Brix (1.006)
Lime Peel, Zest
16 oz Coconut Milk
8 oz. Coconut Shreds (Nature's Flavors)
.25 oz Coconut Extract (Nature's Flavors)
9 lbs Clover Honey
1 lb 8.0 oz Mesquite Honey
1 lb Craisins
1 PkgsLalvin D-47
1. Cook 1# of rice in 1qt of water for 5 minutes and drain off liquid to a bowl.
2. Open coconut and drain the liquid into rice water.
3. Split the coconut and bake at 150F for 20-30 minutes to soften it up.
4. Remove coconut "meat" and shred. Add to hot rice water and soak/mix then strain off the milk to a jar.
5. Finish cooking rice in another quart of water.
6. Drain hot rice water onto coconut and soak/mix then strain off the milk to a jar.
7. Set coconut milk jar aside in fridge until secondary.
8. Take 1/2 of the coconut mash and toast it in oven. Add the toasted and raw coconut to the primary.
9. Add honey, water and zest of 3 limes. Add campden.
10. Next day, pitch yeast and nutrients. Aerate well.
11. Ferment for a week or so. Add nutrients as needed, especially of there is a sulfur smell.
12. Transfer to secondary and add coconut milk, zest of 3 limes and the juice of 6 limes.
13. Keep an eye on pH. Add Potasium Bicarbonate if pH < 3.0.
14. After 30-45 days, rack onto Craisins and coconut shreds. Add juice of 6 limes and coconut extract.
15. Rack in 45-60 days. Adjust lime or coconut if necessary.
16. Rack again in 45-60 days and bottle if clear.
Edited by Poobah58, 31 October 2009 - 12:58 PM.