#1 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:35 PM

Ok so I am out of town till sunday at my in laws and have not been to any local stores here to get some microbrewed beer (tomorrow for sure) Of course looking for some beer the only choice tonight was an MGD 64 that the father in law drinks. Sorry but this beer is ack gross to say the least. No flavor, thin, watery and just barely palatable. Anyways my question is this: This has 64 calories and from all the brewing I have done the more alcohol the more calories. There is no way this beer is brewed to only have 64 calories. What do they do brew a normal strength MGD and then dilute it down with water? Thats about the only intrigue I can find in this beer. Just curious about that and see what you all think. Thanks and wish me well I gotta make up for this beer/night.

#2 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9731 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 31 October 2009 - 06:06 AM

What do they do brew a normal strength MGD and then dilute it down with water?

I think all of the industrial breweries do this (actually something like double strong) for space saving then dilute at bottling/canning/kegging.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54043 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 06:29 AM

Remember that Bud Select (or whatever it's called) has only 55 calories. I've often wondered what the point is... if you're going to drink beer, then drink beer. If you want bottled water, drink that instead. NC, I have often wondered about these things because I will see the calories in ProMash when I make a light lager and I don't think I've ever even been close to 100 calories... it's usually in the 130-150 range. I was at my Dad's house a few weeks ago and decided not to bring some of my beer. He had Busch Light and I had a few... I feel your pain, Amigo. Cheers & good luck on the quest.

#4 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 31 October 2009 - 06:33 AM

Thanks guys. Yes I tell you I would never consider that beer if I was buying it or anything. It really tasted like water to say the least. The only thing to behold might have been the clarity. It was rough though. I agree with you Ken, why drink that and why would you waste your time if you brewed it to 64 calories, a waste for sure. Here's to going out and getting some good brew to hold me over till I get home tomorrow night. :smilielol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users