• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 VirginiaBeach

VirginiaBeach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:39 AM

Hello all, After my last batch I got a little lazy and didn't do a good job cleaning my brew pot well afterwards. So I soaked it in some PBW overnight (I don't think it was exactly the right concentration as I'm running low on PBW) and when I went to scrub it this morning there was a nice rainbow looking stain (kinda like an oil slick) on the bottom and the bottom inch sides are darker (where I think I left a small amount of water sitting in it for a while). How can I fix this and get my stainless steel brewpot back to shiny and new looking? I've heard Bar Keepers Friend might do the trick but I haven't personally tried it.Thanks.

#2 nbbeerguy

nbbeerguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationFredericton NB Canada

Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:43 AM

I do know my Grand father had built a stainless steel wood stove for the cottage and it changed to rainbow colors and no matter how much we cleaned it always stayed that way

#3 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:06 AM

I don't think the "rainbow" is gonna cause a problem, but Bar Keeper's Friend will remove about anything and repassivate the SS.

#4 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14776 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:31 AM

I don't think the "rainbow" is gonna cause a problem, but Bar Keeper's Friend will remove about anything and repassivate the SS.

Yup, my kettle gets cleaned with BKF after every brew session

#5 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48071 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:37 PM

Probably not a stain. You've likely "heat treated" your stainless accidentally. Quite common when you put stainless over a really hot fire. If that's what it is, you won't be able to get rid of it.

#6 BigDaddyD

BigDaddyD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Brewtown, WI, USA

Posted 31 October 2009 - 05:14 PM

Probably not a stain. You've likely "heat treated" your stainless accidentally. Quite common when you put stainless over a really hot fire. If that's what it is, you won't be able to get rid of it.

+1, I forget the name of it, but you see it on stainless motorcycle mufflers and around welds on stainless.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users