#1 Gumbo Leviathan

Gumbo Leviathan

Nutritional Anthropologist

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35491 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:32 AM

I was doing some kegging just now and started racking my cider into a keg while doing a few other beer chores.When there was about 1/2 gallon of cider left it starts coming out of the top of my keg and overflowing. WTF?OH CRAP! I forgot to pour out the Star San that I put in the keg to sanitize. There was maybe 1/2 gallon of diluted Star San in the keg.I tasted the new santizier-diluted cider and its not...horrible... Would it kill me if I try to drink this? So I got 4.5 gallons of cider and 1/2 gallon of diluted Star San... What say ye?

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:45 AM

I was doing some kegging just now and started racking my cider into a keg while doing a few other beer chores.When there was about 1/2 gallon of cider left it starts coming out of the top of my keg and overflowing. WTF?OH CRAP! I forgot to pour out the Star San that I put in the keg to sanitize. There was maybe 1/2 gallon of diluted Star San in the keg.I tasted the new santizier-diluted cider and its not...horrible... Would it kill me if I try to drink this? So I got 4.5 gallons of cider and 1/2 gallon of diluted Star San... What say ye?

I don't think it would kill you - I can't speak to the taste though

#3 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10757 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:01 AM

Clean up the mess first :smilielol:

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54422 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:03 AM

Wow. I think I would immediately contact 5-Star and ask them what they say about it. I honestly think that the diluted Starsan solution would be pretty harmless, but it IS acid (of which flavor, I forget) so I don't think I would drink it until someone at 5-Star told you not to worry. Haven't heard that one before. :smilielol:

#5 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:21 AM

You'll be fine. I've drunk Star San in the working concentration before, you be fine with a 0.5 gallon diluted with 4.5 gallons of cider.The flavor might be off, but it won't kill you.

#6 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:22 AM

Wow. I think I would immediately contact 5-Star and ask them what they say about it. I honestly think that the diluted Starsan solution would be pretty harmless, but it IS acid (of which flavor, I forget) so I don't think I would drink it until someone at 5-Star told you not to worry. Haven't heard that one before. :smilielol:

+1 on contacting StarSan. There was something in the back of my head that always told me I should sanitize the keg with a full 4 to 5 gallons of whatever I'm using... now I realize why... so I don't start racking on top of the solution. Other than contacting StarSan, I really don't know what to say other than I feel for your potential loss. I know ciders aren't that easy, and they tend to be a "one time a year" thing. But that just gave me an idea... I'm now kegging with a tap... completely out of beer in kegs. Don't necessarily want to brew two beers side by side. Maybe a hard cider will be an easier thing to do.

#7 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64158 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:36 AM

Star San is fine to drink and really doesn't have much taste to it. Jon Herskovits from Five Star was on Brew Strong a while back and they talked about this. He said that a majority of people can't pick out a properly mixed concentration of Star-San in a blind test with plain water.

#8 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:38 AM

Star San is fine to drink and really doesn't have much taste to it. Jon Herskovits from Five Star was on Brew Strong a while back and they talked about this. He said that a majority of people can't pick out a properly mixed concentration of Star-San in a blind test with plain water.

I find it tastes a little bit sour - I guess I'm not properly mixing :smilielol:

#9 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:46 AM

I find it tastes a little bit sour - I guess I'm not properly mixing :smilielol:

Add vodka!

#10 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48090 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:39 PM

It's primarily phosphoric acid. Won't hurt ya.

#11 DR0NE

DR0NE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 03:44 PM

I did the same thing recently with an IPA I was kegging, at about the same concentration. Everything I checked said not to worry about it, hopefully the cider masks any flavor that the Star San has at that amount.

#12 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9738 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 31 October 2009 - 05:05 AM

:smilielol:

#13 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54422 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 06:35 AM

I'm glad to hear this... losing a good batch of anything is very sad. Hopefully it will turn out to be just a slightly diluted batch of cider. Cheers.Maybe there should be a warning on Starsan like the ones you hear about for those prescription drugs... In rare cases, gastro-intestinal distress may occur. Starsan should not be ingested if you're nursing, pregnant or may become pregnant. Discontinue drinking your cider if you experience bad gas, sweating of the feet, dry mouth, unpleasant taste or difficulty urinating. If you experience an erection lasting more than 4 hours, get down to your local high school immediately... :smilielol:

#14 BigDaddyD

BigDaddyD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Brewtown, WI, USA

Posted 31 October 2009 - 05:07 PM

It should be fine, It will add a little sourness since starsan is an acid, but will probably be imperceptible to anyone but you who may know what it tasted like before hand. And to zymological, it should taste sour you ain't doing it wrong.

#15 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25677 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 31 October 2009 - 05:10 PM

1/2 a gallon of standard StarSan solution would be 1/10 oz (or 3 milliliters) of straight StarSan. Dilute that 1/10 oz back accross 5 gallons of cider and you have not much StarSan in your cider.As I understand it, StarSan is "poisionous" only is certain concentrations. You ain't even close to that. zymot says: Drink up.

#16 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26204 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 31 October 2009 - 05:28 PM

this is one of the reasons why I started sanitizing kegs with boiling water/steam

#17 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 31 October 2009 - 09:16 PM

Dump a diaper in it to be sure!MolBasser

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users