#1 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

Comptroller of ChopSticks & Ghey Bach Chow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9180 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 29 October 2009 - 05:48 AM

When I went to check my gravity on the MLPA I brewed 2.5 weeks ago, the krausen was still there. Is that normal? the few batches I'd done before this, the krausen had virtually disappeared by the time fermentation was complete.

#2 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64061 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 29 October 2009 - 05:51 AM

I've had krausen linger for quite a while. I've noticed with my last few batches using WLP001 that the krausen gets very gooey at the end of fermentation and that seems to keep it stuck together and prevent it from falling. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

#3 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9180 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 29 October 2009 - 05:56 AM

I've had krausen linger for quite a while. I've noticed with my last few batches using WLP001 that the krausen gets very gooey at the end of fermentation and that seems to keep it stuck together and prevent it from falling. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

I used, what I was told, was the Wyeast alternative (1056).I should try to keep any Krausen out of my kegged beer, right?

#4 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64061 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:00 AM

I used, what I was told, was the Wyeast alternative (1056).I should try to keep any Krausen out of my kegged beer, right?

meh, not a big deal. It's just yeast, really. Try to keep it out, but if it gets in don't worry about it.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54042 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:13 AM

I normally use White Labs 01 and haven't used 1056 in awhile. I agree that WL01 will hang around in bubbles on the surface for awhile after primary is done. I would say that primary is done if its been 2½ weeks. Rack it out and most of that stuff will hang on the sides of the primary. Whatever ends up in secondary (if you're secondary-ing), will likely drop to the bottom eventually. All yeasts behave differently so take good notes so you'll be prepared for this the next time you use this yeast. Cheers.

#6 BrianBrewerKS

BrianBrewerKS

Comptroller of Winging It

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:14 AM

+1I brewed Ken's Blonde Ale a couple weeks ago...used WLP001, and it did the same for me. VERY gooey at the end and didn't want to fall...finally did just a couple days ago.

#7 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9180 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:18 AM

I normally use White Labs 01 and haven't used 1056 in awhile. I agree that WL01 will hang around in bubbles on the surface for awhile after primary is done. I would say that primary is done if its been 2½ weeks. Rack it out and most of that stuff will hang on the sides of the primary. Whatever ends up in secondary (if you're secondary-ing), will likely drop to the bottom eventually. All yeasts behave differently so take good notes so you'll be prepared for this the next time you use this yeast. Cheers.

I would have used WL, but the LHBS only had the Wyeast version. I wanted to stay as close to your recipe as possible since it was my first AG brew, but alas, had to change a few things.It tasted pretty decent though. I also will not be secondary-ing. I never have, but may start some day to help clear the beer. I've never really had super clear beer, and this is probably part of the reason. I also don't care a ton about it, but it would be nice. I may try irish moss or something before secondary though.Anyway, plan to keg tomorrow and if I can get enough carbonation, will be drinking it for college football saturday!

#8 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10733 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:28 AM

I've had that before and I just swirled the carboy a little and it fell. I gave it another day and then proceeded with kegging. The final gravity was reached, it just seemed to have a texture that prevented it from falling naturally.

#9 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 29 October 2009 - 07:59 AM

I've had it happen a few times. I have swirled it as MakeMeHoppy said, and I have just gently put the racking cane down through it and siphoned out the beer under it and left the krausen. No noticeable difference really. Id say leave it rather than swirling around, but I think it is really up to you. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users