#1 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

Comptroller of BigBossMan

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:36 AM

Looking for easy drinking brown. Suggestions welcome.

OG 1.049  Mash 153F  6 gallon batch

6 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 53.3 %

2 lbs Munich Dark (BestMälz) (12.7 SRM) Grain 2 17.8 %

1 lbs Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.9 %

8.0 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.4 %

8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 60L (Cargill) (60. Grain 5 4.4 %

8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 Grain 6 4.4 %

8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 7 4.4 %

4.0 oz Pale Chocolate Malt (200.0 SRM) Grain 8 2.2 %

1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - 60 min

0.50 oz Fuggle [4.50 %] - 20 min

0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent - 10 min

0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet - 5 min

1.0 pkg English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) Yeast

#2 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 08 February 2018 - 10:22 AM

Looks good. I'd might do 1/2 pound each of Brown and Chocolate to even that out....

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 10:32 AM

Looks good. I'd might do 1/2 pound each of Brown and Chocolate to even that out....

But I would do regular chocolate.  Leave the 1/4# of pale chocolate and add another 1/4# of regular.  IMO

#4 Mike Green

Mike Green

Frequent Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3671 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:15 PM

https://www.theselfs...wn-ale-recipes/

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 02:13 PM

I can't remember if it was BROWN malt or AMBER MALT but one of those was really roasty. It made a brown ale very coffee-like and I think I only used a pound in 5 gallons. It eventually aged out but at first it was uber-roasty. Also, for anyone interested in a Brown Ale, I got something called DOUBLE ROASTED CRYSTAL from my LHBS awhile back and the guy told me that it "absolutely made" a brown ale. I used it in a few beers and I could see why he said that... it gave every beer I used it in a very "brown ale" character. Just a thought. More HERE.

#6 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:53 PM

I can't remember if it was BROWN malt or AMBER MALT but one of those was really roasty. It made a brown ale very coffee-like and I think I only used a pound in 5 gallons. It eventually aged out but at first it was uber-roasty. Also, for anyone interested in a Brown Ale, I got something called DOUBLE ROASTED CRYSTAL from my LHBS awhile back and the guy told me that it "absolutely made" a brown ale. I used it in a few beers and I could see why he said that... it gave every beer I used it in a very "brown ale" character. Just a thought. More HERE.

Would you replace the C-120 with the DRC?

I'm leaning towards halving the Brown and adding 8oz DRC and changing the pale chocolate to regular.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 08:23 AM

You have a pretty busy grain bill. Between the brown malt, C60, C120 and chocolate, do you have an SRM for this beer? Seems like it would be VERY dark. Also, I'm not sure you need all that crystal in a Brown. I actually like the pale chocolate idea and I really like the DRC idea. The DRC is 110°L. If you write up the recipe and think it's too pale, maybe some standard chocolate or even a smidge of midnight wheat. The character you'll get from brown malt + pale chocolate + DRC will probably be enough and really good. Just a thought... totally not my style although I have made a few Browns. I've been leaning towards LESS IS MORE lately... more base malt and less specialties and fewer specialties. An 8-grain grist may have some of those ingredients competing with each other.

#8 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 09 February 2018 - 09:22 AM

You have a pretty busy grain bill. Between the brown malt, C60, C120 and chocolate, do you have an SRM for this beer? Seems like it would be VERY dark. Also, I'm not sure you need all that crystal in a Brown. I actually like the pale chocolate idea and I really like the DRC idea. The DRC is 110°L. If you write up the recipe and think it's too pale, maybe some standard chocolate or even a smidge of midnight wheat. The character you'll get from brown malt + pale chocolate + DRC will probably be enough and really good. Just a thought... totally not my style although I have made a few Browns. I've been leaning towards LESS IS MORE lately... more base malt and less specialties and fewer specialties. An 8-grain grist may have some of those ingredients competing with each other.

I think I'm going to go with this and see what happens. It gives me a 17.5 SRM and put me at 4.2% ABV.

6 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)

2 lbs Munich Dark (BestMälz) (12.7 SRM)

1 lbs Brown Malt (65.0 SRM)

8.0 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM)

8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)

8.0 oz Simpsons Double Roasted Crystal

6.0 oz Pale Chocolate Malt (200.0 SRM)

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 09:40 AM

That looks delicious. The WLP002 is going to do that beer up righteous. Although as I look at almost 11 pounds of grain are you sure that's clocking in at 4.2%? Looks like it should be north of 5% but everyone's system is different. Brew it. Keep us posted and I expect to see a pic in the PINT thread. Cheers.

#10 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 09 February 2018 - 10:12 AM

That looks delicious. The WLP002 is going to do that beer up righteous. Although as I look at almost 11 pounds of grain are you sure that's clocking in at 4.2%? Looks like it should be north of 5% but everyone's system is different. Brew it. Keep us posted and I expect to see a pic in the PINT thread. Cheers.

6 gallon batch and meh efficiency :)

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 10:16 AM

6 gallon batch and meh efficiency :)

Ah, makes sense. It will be great. Cheers and enjoy the brewday.

#12 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:17 AM

Ah, makes sense. It will be great. Cheers and enjoy the brewday.

Came out to a shade under 4.5% ABV. I just kegged it and will force carbonate either tonight or tomorrow. If the taste from the fermenter is any indicator, this may be the best brown I've ever made.

#13 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:31 AM

There's something off about seeing the words STANK and BROWN ALE in the same thread. :lol:

Glad to hear it came out well. Soon you'll have to post a shot of it in the picture thread.

#14 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:22 AM

There's something off about seeing the words STANK and BROWN ALE in the same thread. :lol:

Glad to hear it came out well. Soon you'll have to post a shot of it in the picture thread.

Stank for a Brett beer maybe. lol

#15 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 07 April 2018 - 03:32 PM

I'll be damned. I actually won something with this recipe.

I took silver in the UK Beers and won Best of Show.

http://scorpion.brewcompetition.com/

ER, thanks for the double roast crystal suggestion. That definitely made the beer.

Edited by StankDelicious, 07 April 2018 - 03:34 PM.

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 03:40 PM

Congratulations!

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:10 PM

I'll be damned. I actually won something with this recipe.

I took silver in the UK Beers and won Best of Show.

http://scorpion.brewcompetition.com/

ER, thanks for the double roast crystal suggestion. That definitely made the beer.

congrats for sure but technical question...

how do you take silver in a category but win best of show?  wouldn't the guy who beat you in the category win that honor?  maybe you were too far out of style to win the category but still made a damn fine beer?

#18 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 15 April 2018 - 05:49 PM

congrats for sure but technical question...

how do you take silver in a category but win best of show?  wouldn't the guy who beat you in the category win that honor?  maybe you were too far out of style to win the category but still made a damn fine beer?

They didn't have enough judges for each category. So they grouped them and took gold and silver from each group for the best of show.

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:53 AM

They didn't have enough judges for each category. So they grouped them and took gold and silver from each group for the best of show.

you can tell I don't ever enter comps :P

I forget the judges are a bunch of different people.  I have this image of everything being consistently ranked :lol:

#20 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 17 April 2018 - 05:41 AM

you can tell I don't ever enter comps :P

I forget the judges are a bunch of different people.  I have this image of everything being consistently ranked :lol:

lol no. They grouped my beer into the UK table. 1st was a Wee Heavy and 3rd was a Stout. So I'm guessing they went with overall points for that round. I scored a 38 out of 50, which put me at the bottom of the excellent tier.

Edited by StankDelicious, 17 April 2018 - 05:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users