#21 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25571 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 02 September 2019 - 10:10 PM

I think I'm going to go with this and see what happens. It gives me a 17.5 SRM and put me at 4.2% ABV.

6 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
2 lbs Munich Dark (BestMälz) (12.7 SRM)
1 lbs Brown Malt (65.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Simpsons Double Roasted Crystal
6.0 oz Pale Chocolate Malt (200.0 SRM)

I was ready to go with this as my next beer. I cannot find the Simpson's double roasted crystal local.

More beer has viking dark ale malt, that might be my experimental exploration ingredient.

#22 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 September 2019 - 03:43 AM

I was ready to go with this as my next beer. I cannot find the Simpson's double roasted crystal local.

More beer has viking dark ale malt, that might be my experimental exploration ingredient.

sounds like it is probably most similar to special B or C-120.

#23 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

Comptroller of BigBossMan

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 09 September 2019 - 08:20 PM

Northernbrewer.com has it.

Edited by StankDelicious, 09 September 2019 - 08:21 PM.

#24 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25571 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 09 September 2019 - 08:52 PM

Northernbrewer.com has it.

Thanks. Northern Brewer is in Minnesota. I am not. $8.00 to ship a couple pounds. Maybe I can add some stuff to make it worth it.

#25 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 18 September 2019 - 11:12 AM

Thanks. Northern Brewer is in Minnesota. I am not. $8.00 to ship a couple pounds. Maybe I can add some stuff to make it worth it.

Have you brewed this yet? Order a few extra pounds of the DRC. You're gonna love it.

#26 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25571 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 18 September 2019 - 09:54 PM

No probably a couple weekends away. I might have to get the DRC, one way or another.

#27 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 06:41 AM

No probably a couple weekends away. I might have to get the DRC, one way or another.

That DRC is really nice. One of my local suppliers carries it and when I bought it I wasn't sure of the right application for it. A fall amber ale, a brown, probably a mild... all good options for this grain. It's roasty but it's not overly coffee-like.

I'll be damned. I actually won something with this recipe.

I took silver in the UK Beers and won Best of Show.

http://scorpion.brewcompetition.com/

ER, thanks for the double roast crystal suggestion. That definitely made the beer.

I didn't see this when it was posted. Nice work, BBM. That is freaking awesome.

#28 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 October 2019 - 11:00 AM

That DRC is really nice. One of my local suppliers carries it and when I bought it I wasn't sure of the right application for it. A fall amber ale, a brown, probably a mild... all good options for this grain. It's roasty but it's not overly coffee-like.

making me thirsty!

#29 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25571 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 06 October 2019 - 11:31 AM

Have you brewed this yet? Order a few extra pounds of the DRC. You're gonna love it.

Placed my order on Northern Brewer. Got some extra DRC. I might substitute your oat with Simpson naked golden oats. Might strip down the recipe and lean on the DRC. The stuff is on the way.

#30 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25571 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:05 PM

Got my grain order from Northern Brewer. I got an extra pound of DRC and an extra pound of naked golden oat for future use.

I have not made a big fat heavy beer for a long time. I am shooting for a >1.080 version of BBM's recipe. Depends on my efficiency. The IBU will be about half of the OG, probably around 40 IBU. Not sure when I will get a chance to brew this bad boy.

#31 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 October 2019 - 10:49 AM

I'd probably go higher on ibus. At least 60 on a beer with that much malt.

Edited by Zsasz, 15 October 2019 - 10:49 AM.

#32 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25571 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 16 October 2019 - 06:50 AM

I'd probably go higher on ibus. At least 60 on a beer with that much malt.

Good point.

#33 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25571 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 04 November 2019 - 10:08 PM

I brewed my version yesterday. I doubled up the base malt, doubled the DRC and used Simpson's naked golden oats, not flaked oats. The rest was about 1:1. Used magnum @ 60 minutes, a touch of mount hood at the end. I think I am at 1.088 OG.

Going into the fermenter was pretty good.

#34 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 04 November 2019 - 11:56 PM

I brewed my version yesterday. I doubled up the base malt, doubled the DRC and used Simpson's naked golden oats, not flaked oats. The rest was about 1:1. Used magnum @ 60 minutes, a touch of mount hood at the end. I think I am at 1.088 OG.

Going into the fermenter was pretty good.

Nice. Looking forward to hearing how this turned out.

#35 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 02:36 PM

Nice. Looking forward to hearing how this turned out.

Yeah, me too.  All of this talk makes me want to make a brown ale or maybe a "fall amber ale" and that DRC would probably be required.  Maybe a ride to my local supplier is in order.  :scratch:

#36 Buscotucky

Buscotucky

Comptroller of Lips and Smooching

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3605 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 05:52 AM

I bought some DRC as well as the Simpsons Dark & Extra Dark about a month back...was thinking about using them in a tropical stout (5 gal, GP base, 1# DRC, 1# Dark, .5 or .25 extra dark, 1# roasted barley) - thoughts?

#37 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 08:45 AM

I bought some DRC as well as the Simpsons Dark & Extra Dark about a month back...was thinking about using them in a tropical stout (5 gal, GP base, 1# DRC, 1# Dark, .5 or .25 extra dark, 1# roasted barley) - thoughts?

Yeah man, do it.  The Simpsons (and also the Thomas Fawcett Dark and Extra Dark) are great and I will use some in an ESB.  As I look at your recipe that is A LOT of crystal and RB.  When Midnight Wheat came out I started to get away from RB but if you like it roasty... giddy up.  

#38 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25571 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 08 November 2019 - 09:38 AM

I took a 3 day sample to ensure that there activity beyond the crown of krausen. That looks to be in order. Took as taste. Seems a bit rough, but 3 days in is too early to worry about.

I was very pleased with the wort that went into the boil kettle. I am slightly concerned I used too many hops. But we will see in a few more days.

#39 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 12 May 2020 - 12:02 AM

I took a 3 day sample to ensure that there activity beyond the crown of krausen. That looks to be in order. Took as taste. Seems a bit rough, but 3 days in is too early to worry about.

I was very pleased with the wort that went into the boil kettle. I am slightly concerned I used too many hops. But we will see in a few more days.

Forgot to ask. How did it turn out?

#40 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25571 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 29 May 2020 - 12:35 PM

Not bad, not loving it. For some reason it came out more roasty or dry stout than I wanted.

It might have been the Simpsons Double Roasted Crystal or the Simpson naked golden oats or some error in my brewing technique.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users