#1 orudis

orudis

Deputy Comptroller of Rarts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25359 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:09 PM

Has anyone used this yeast yet? Will probably brew a dry stout with it pretty soon. From White Labs:

WLP038 Manchester Ale YeastTop-fermenting strain that is traditionally good for top-cropping. Moderately flocculent with a clean, dry finish. Low ester profile, producing a highly balanced English-style beer.Attenuation: 70-74%Flocculation: Medium-HighOptimum Fermentation Temperature: 65-70FAlcohol Tolerance: Medium-High

#2 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:50 PM

I haven't used that one yet but it's on my list to work into the rotation this year. Would like to hear how it works for you if you go with it. From the description it sounds like it may be similar to WLP007. I find 007 to be a lot less "fruity" than 002 even though they describe it as similar but with higher attenuation. 038 also sounds like it may be similar to the 022 strain (Essex Ale) but with higher attenuation. Either way, I have had good success with 007 (dry) and 022 so this could sort of combine the two. It sounds like it would be a good call for a dry stout.

Has anyone used this yeast yet? Will probably brew a dry stout with it pretty soon. From White Labs:

#3 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25600 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:36 PM

Sounds like it has alot in common (if not the same) with Wyeast 1318 London Ale III. 1318 is one of my go to yeasts. No LHBS carries Wyeast brand any more and I miss it.https://www.wyeastla...tail.cfm?ID=140From Wyeast

From traditional London brewery with great malt and hop profile. True top cropping strain, fruity, very light, soft balanced palate, finishes slightly sweet. Origin: Flocculation: highAttenuation: 71-75%Temperature Range: 64-74° F (18-23° C)Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 10% ABV

Somewhere along the line I thought there was a connection between 1318 and Boddingtons, which is from Manchester. Might be the same strain.One thing I can warn you about. When Wyeast says top cropping, they do not exaggerate. Give yourself plenty of headroom in the primary, a blow-off tube is mandatory and check it often. I have had yeast slurry (not krauesen) pour out of the blow-off tube with the 1318. Harvesting is a breeze.If the descrption is of interest to you, give it a try. Before this, I know White Labs did not have anything close to Wyeast 1318. I know I will be giving it a brewing an English brown or pale ale or bitter soon.zymot

#4 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8253 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 29 October 2009 - 03:20 AM

Picked up a vial of this along with the Yorkshire Square and my favorite Premium Bitter strain a month or so back. I figured they would get me through the winter rotation. Keep posted on the results. SB

#5 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14730 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 29 October 2009 - 05:44 AM

Picked up a vial of this along with the Yorkshire Square

I might have to order a vial of that tomorrow if anyone's still got it in stock. I'd like to brew a couple of English beers with this and 1968 side by side. Next month, my all time favorite yeast comes out again - WLP006 Bedford British. Can't wait for that!!

#6 Fatman

Fatman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationWest Chester, PA

Posted 30 October 2009 - 06:44 AM

I brewed a bitter with it, harvested, and brewed a pumpkin ale that's currently in the secondary. Based on my bitter, it's very dry for a English Ale, though the airlock smelled quite malty during fermentation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users