13 replies to this topic

#1 BigDaddyD

BigDaddyD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Brewtown, WI, USA

Posted 28 October 2009 - 02:06 PM

10lbs 2-row 1 lb biscuit 1/4 lb carafa special 1/4 lb rye 1/2 oz nugget @201/2 oz Amarillo Gold @15 1/2 oz Amarillo Gold @5 1 oz Amarillo Gold @flame outWyeast 1214dry hop 2 oz of Amarillo for 2 weeks after primary ferm is complete.I am curious about the rye as I have never used it, and don't want to go overboard. I have also heard the rye likes to have a little crystal with it, should I add in a 1/4 pound of crystal malt as well or not bother?

#2 orudis

orudis

Deputy Comptroller of Rarts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25384 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:13 PM

.25 of rye is definitely not overdoing it. I doubt you will even notice less than 10% rye.

#3 BigDaddyD

BigDaddyD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:16 PM

.25 of rye is definitely not overdoing it. I doubt you will even notice less than 10% rye.

maybe I drop the carafa spec. and add a full pound of rye and a pound of crystal? It will be way lighter but I am going for taste not color.

#4 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:18 PM

I've made a half-half rye/base beer and other than the crawling mash, it turned out great. That's one of the best beers I've made. I think you would be fine replacing some of the base malt with more rye. I think up to 30% would be fine.

#5 BigDaddyD

BigDaddyD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 04:38 AM

I've made a half-half rye/base beer and other than the crawling mash, it turned out great. That's one of the best beers I've made. I think you would be fine replacing some of the base malt with more rye. I think up to 30% would be fine.

I only have a pound on hand, so.... thats what I will go with for this batch, and really I don't feel like dealing with a 2 hour sparge.

#6 gumballhead

gumballhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Locationsw michigan

Posted 29 October 2009 - 04:54 AM

I only have a pound on hand, so.... thats what I will go with for this batch, and really I don't feel like dealing with a 2 hour sparge.

make sure you drop in some Rice hulls. they will help with the Sparge. the Rye will add a nice spice and Dryness to the beer. the crystal will help balance things out. and add a bit of color. you hop schedule shows no real set up for bittering. all of the additions are late even the Nugget @20 min. isn't very much. your thoughts...?

#7 BigDaddyD

BigDaddyD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 05:30 AM

make sure you drop in some Rice hulls. they will help with the Sparge. the Rye will add a nice spice and Dryness to the beer. the crystal will help balance things out. and add a bit of color. you hop schedule shows no real set up for bittering. all of the additions are late even the Nugget @20 min. isn't very much. your thoughts...?

Yeah that hop schedule is intentional, I am going for very light bitterness on this one. It comes out to about 20 IBUS in beersmith, and I am using all pellets on this one, and I find even the late additions of pellets tend to lend more bitterness than expected. And I have pound and a half of rice hulls, I will add the whole thing if I use the full pound of rye.

#8 BarefootBrews

BarefootBrews

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:07 AM

With your yeast selection, I would go with the 1 LB of rye. With < 10% rye, you shouldn't need rice hulls unless you always tend to stick mashes with your MT setup. That's a call you will have to make. What temp do you plan to ferment? I've fermented belgian yeasts with rye malt with good success; belgian yeast esters and spicy flavors from the rye play well together in my experience. I would skip the crystal or maybe drop some of the biscuit and sub with some crystal.

#9 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 29 October 2009 - 11:08 AM

half a pound of rice hulls should be plenty even with up to 20% rye. Like others I wouldn't hesitate to bump the rye up. I think 20% will give nice rye character and color.

#10 BigDaddyD

BigDaddyD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 03:34 PM

10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 74.07 % 1.00 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 7.41 % 1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 7.41 % 1.00 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 7.41 % 0.50 oz Nugget [12.90 %] (30 min) Hops 13.7 IBU 0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.60 %] (15 min) Hops 6.4 IBU 0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.60 %] (5 min) Hops 2.6 IBU 1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.60 %] (0 min) Hops - 0.50 lb Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 3.70 % 1 Pkgs Belgian Ale (Wyeast Labs #1214) Yeast-Ale This is the new recipe I think I am going to go with. Starting with a beta glucan rest and slowly bringing it up to 150 I think for the mash. I was not planning on a mash out but with the rye I think I need to. I will also dry hop this for no more than a week with 2 oz of the amarillo after the primary is done.

#11 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:25 AM

10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 74.07 % 1.00 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 7.41 % 1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 7.41 % 1.00 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 7.41 % 0.50 oz Nugget [12.90 %] (30 min) Hops 13.7 IBU 0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.60 %] (15 min) Hops 6.4 IBU 0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.60 %] (5 min) Hops 2.6 IBU 1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.60 %] (0 min) Hops - 0.50 lb Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 3.70 % 1 Pkgs Belgian Ale (Wyeast Labs #1214) Yeast-Ale This is the new recipe I think I am going to go with. Starting with a beta glucan rest and slowly bringing it up to 150 I think for the mash. I was not planning on a mash out but with the rye I think I need to. I will also dry hop this for no more than a week with 2 oz of the amarillo after the primary is done.

I think your recipe looks good but if it were me I would cut your Crystal malt back to a half lb. I would keep the rest of your recipe as your show it above. I just am not a big fan of using a lot of crystal. I think your Biscuit and 2 Row will play well together. I agree though that you almost need about 3lbs of Rye or so but brew it with a lb and see what you think. It might be hard to tell if it adds spiciness as you might perceive that and it came from your yeast selection. I like the hops though Nugget and Rillos are great. Enjoy the beer and let us know how it goes.

#12 BigDaddyD

BigDaddyD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:40 AM

I think your recipe looks good but if it were me I would cut your Crystal malt back to a half lb. I would keep the rest of your recipe as your show it above. I just am not a big fan of using a lot of crystal. I think your Biscuit and 2 Row will play well together. I agree though that you almost need about 3lbs of Rye or so but brew it with a lb and see what you think. It might be hard to tell if it adds spiciness as you might perceive that and it came from your yeast selection. I like the hops though Nugget and Rillos are great. Enjoy the beer and let us know how it goes.

I'll have a half oz of those nuggets left, you think they would be good at flame out? or will that start getting a little weird

#13 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:02 PM

I'll have a half oz of those nuggets left, you think they would be good at flame out? or will that start getting a little weird

I say go for it. Nugget is a nice hop. I would toss it in at flame out. It gives a nice aroma and should work well with the Amarillo you got going on also. Enjoy.

#14 BigDaddyD

BigDaddyD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 12:00 AM

So after all that I am a [mod edit] flake and I didn't have any nuggets, so it's all amarillo. This is fine by me i just upped it to 40 min instead of 30 and I got the same IBUs for a half ounce addition. I am also going with 2 oz at flame out instead of 1. This took for ever to sparge by the way, I am just now boiling the wort instead of an hour ago and be cleaning up by now. But I got an opportunity to do a little decocting to get to mash out, in an attempt to get the first runnings a little looser, but then my buddy and I went to let out his dog and stopped at the tavern i work at to grab a bucket of ice for my prechiller... It was still dripping when we got back but just barely.... maybe we should have come back before I bought the beer at work. With the decoction I think I hit 85% efficiency and I might overshoot the color I was going for by a little too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users