5 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54202 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:22 PM

I went into one of my LHBSs over the weekend and while poking around in the fridge, I saw the 2487 Hella-Bock... a VSS strain from Oct to Dec. I was going to make my Vienna Lager with 833, but I would have to order it so I picked up the 2487. Then I noticed another VSS strain, 2782 Staro-Prague Lager yeast. Hmm, 2 lager yeasts I haven't used. So I picked them both up and looked up the specifics on the Staro-Prague. It's ideal range is 50-58, medium floccing, etc. but it also says that it would work nicely in classic Bohemian Lagers, bocks, Doppels, Munich Lagers, Helles and Vienna... a-ha! So I plan to go back-to-back with this yeast and make a nice Bohemian Pilsner and then the vienna.

Prague Pilsner

8.5 lbs Belgian Castle Pilsner Malt
1 lb Vienna
4 oz Carafoam
1 oz Tettnanger 4.8% for 60 mins
1 oz Tettnanger 2.4% for 30 mins
1 oz Hallertau Mittelfruh 4.1% for 10 mins
Wyeast 2782 Staro-Prague Lager yeast

OG: 1.051, FG: 1.012, SRM: 4, IBU: 35, ABV: 5.0%

Bierhalle Vienna Lager

5 lbs Belgian Castle Pilsner Malt
4 lbs Weyermann Vienna
8 oz Munich
4 oz Crystal 80°L
4 oz Belgian Special B
1 oz Hallertau Mittelfruh 4.1% for 60 mins
1 oz Hallertau Mittelfruh 4.1% for 30 mins
Wyeast 2782 Staro-Prague lager yeast

OG: 1.052, FG: 1.013, SRM: 13, IBU: 32, ABV: 5.0%

Next week, I plan on making one more English Ale with this 1099 that I have and then these 2 will be in production. Cheers.

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54202 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:35 PM

So I made this BoPils today with the 2782. I poured some of the starter liquid into the sink before pitching the yeast and a few minutes later the aroma from that liquid came wafting out... Wow, what a great aroma from this yeast. So I'm looking forward to it. I also swapped out the hops on the Prague Pilsner and used all Saaz (1 oz 5.9% at 60, ½ oz at 15 and another ½ ounce for 3 minutes). I plan to make the Vienna next week or the week after.But... now I have a vision. You know when you go into a store and they have soft-serve vanilla and soft-serve chocolate but if you pull a handle in the middle you get both flavors mixed? Okay, so I envisioned the Prague Pilsner and the Vienna colliding and creating a Vienna Pilsner. Some of the reddish-amber color from the Vienna with the higher (and later) hopping rate of the Pilsner. I don't have any more Saaz, but I do have 6 ounces of Hallertau Mittelfrüh. Thoughts?

#3 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:15 PM

Ken,I like that idea. Sounds pretty tasty. Damn the BJCP, full Ken ahead! :rolf:

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54202 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:10 PM

Thanks Shaggaroo.

I'm thinking along these lines...

Vienna Pilsner

5 lbs Durst or Castle Pils
4.5 lbs Vienna
2 oz Crystal 120°L
2 oz Belgian Special B (mash temp 149-150°)
1 oz Hallertau Mittelfrüh 4.1% for 60 mins
1 oz Hallertau Mittelfrüh 4.1% for 15 mins
1 oz Hallertau Mittelfrüh 4.1% for 3 mins
Wyeast 2782 Staro-Prague Lager yeast

OG: 1.050, FG: 1.013, IBU: 28, SRM: 9, ABV: 4.8%

I'd like to make at least 3 beers total with this yeast so I envisioned BoPils, Vienna and BoVienna. :rolf:

#5 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:00 PM

Ken,I like your recipe there and I like your idea of blending the two beer styles as well. I think this will make a fine beer for you too. I have never brewed with Mittelfruh but if I ever can source any then it will be for sure. Hey if you are brewing these back to back to back then you could have a taste testing and see the flavor differences in each beer. I like that, sounds fun to me. Your description earlier about the Sparo aroma is exciting. I can't wait to brew with it in a couple of weeks. I might even need to pick up an extra smack pack in late Dec and keep it to brew further if this yeast is as great as it sounds too. Happy Fermentations. :rolf:

#6 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:12 PM

If your feeling experimental, try that strain under pressure at ale temps. Keep the PSI at 14 for a normal ale length fermentation, but supposedly resulting in lager flavors. The ideal temps for that yeast make me think it would be a good candidate for the technique. Check out wlp925 for the inspiration on this idea: https://whitelabs.co...ft_strains.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users