#1 Fatman

Fatman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationWest Chester, PA

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:05 PM

Will adding Gelatin to my Pumpkin Ale cause the spices I added in to fall to the bottom?

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54042 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:21 PM

Depending on how you do it, it should be fine. Your beer should already be "flavored" with the spice so adding gel should be fine. I add spice at flameout, then again in secondary WITH a gel solution. The beer clears up and the spice remains. Cheers.

#3 Fatman

Fatman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:24 PM

Thanks!

#4 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:57 AM

I also added spicez with my gel solution in my pumpkin beer, seemed to work fine however it was a little more muted than I would have liked...for my christmas i racked onto gel yesterday and I am goin to add my spices on thursday to see if there is a difference.

#5 Fatman

Fatman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 02:02 PM

You guys just put the spices in with the gelatin and hot water? Sounds easy enough.

#6 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 28 October 2009 - 02:14 PM

You guys just put the spices in with the gelatin and hot water? Sounds easy enough.

Well i racked on top of the gelatin, then I added my spice and bourbon mixture to it...

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54042 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 02:18 PM

I like to add spice at flameout whether it's pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon or whatever. Some of that flavor may (usually does) get scrubbed out during primary so then I will mix some additional spice with rum, vodka, vanilla extract, etc. and then pour that into the secondary along with gel solution and THEN rack the beer on top of it. generally, everything settles in the secondary but the spice has already been infused into the beer so you should get clear, spiced beer. I have done it on my pumpkin beer for 4 or 5 years in a row, I've done it with vanilla beans and I will be doing it early next week on my Christmas beer (ground cinnamon and vanilla extract). Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users