14 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54043 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:37 AM

Check it out if you have the 12 minutes and you can stand the music. The open cooling and open fermentation are pretty wild. I have read about this, but hadn't actually seen it until I watched this.

#2 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10733 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:15 PM

That was a lot of manual labor for sure. If I ever start open fermenting I'll have to remember that is a good way to put a candle out :) Thanks for sharing...

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:24 PM

So in the beginning are they doing a decoction mash? Since I don't really know how a decoction works I just have to assume that's what going on with all the transferring back and forth.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54043 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:45 PM

Yeah... it appears that they are splitting the mash from one vessel to another and then boiling one side, transferring it back, etc. It was funny trying to read some of that... I thought I recognized "wort", "bier", "brewpot", "mashtun", "yeast" and a few other words. I forget the name of the big open pan that they use for chilling, but it's very wild to see that. I also noticed that when the wort dribbled down that roller-type thing, the graphic said that it went from 60°c (150°F?) to 6°C (42°F?) in 1 minute. Pretty effective.

#5 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 27 October 2009 - 02:17 PM

the graphic said that it went from 60°c (150°F?) to 6°C (42°F?) in 1 minute. Pretty effective.

It would be 140F to 42.8F. But your point remains...pretty effective!

#6 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 02:41 PM

Yeah... it appears that they are splitting the mash from one vessel to another and then boiling one side, transferring it back, etc. It was funny trying to read some of that... I thought I recognized "wort", "bier", "brewpot", "mashtun", "yeast" and a few other words. I forget the name of the big open pan that they use for chilling, but it's very wild to see that. I also noticed that when the wort dribbled down that roller-type thing, the graphic said that it went from 60°c (150°F?) to 6°C (42°F?) in 1 minute. Pretty effective.

yeah - it's funny how when I see stuff in German I can usually kind of figure out about 40% of it from context and since the word seems kind of similar to English. Kind of makes me want to learn...

#7 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:07 PM

holy crap, imagine hauling up all that barley up top for a system like that to work! i feel bad for that smucks back!

#8 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:09 PM

holy crap, imagine hauling up all that barley up top for a system like that to work! i feel bad for that smucks back!

I bet they had a conveyor system to do it - they certainly had the technology.

#9 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:17 PM

I bet they had a conveyor system to do it - they certainly had the technology.

I remember MB telling us he blew his back out from hauling grain up when he was brewing a while back.either way this video was SUPER COOL. I was thinking when the hops came out that, even back then people were in love with hops, I just imagined the smell of that huge bag of em.

#10 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:18 PM

I remember MB telling us he blew his back out from hauling grain up when he was brewing a while back.either way this video was SUPER COOL. I was thinking when the hops came out that, even back then people were in love with hops, I just imagined the smell of that huge bag of em.

poor bastard! there is no way I'd be hauling bags of grain up any flights of stairs. lateral movements only! that was a pretty sweet looking bag of hops for sure...

#11 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:26 PM

well to be fair, i think it was for that RIS he made.

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54043 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 05:03 PM

When that guy was shoveling the grains down the chute, I wondered how he knew how much to throw down there. It didn't look like he was measuring it out or weighing it in any way. Carlos, I agree that the vid was pretty cool. Awhile back, someone sent me a link to some other stuff like this... German brewing notes from 1880 until 1950 or something where they described these processes with the cooling "tray" and the rollers, etc. If I can find that link I'll post it... pretty interesting stuff for a brewer to read through. Cheers.

#13 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54043 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 05:16 PM

Here's a link to part of it... Brewing from 1850 to 1900... Click.

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54043 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 06:16 PM

I have another one that is a PDF... about 1MB in size which is too big to attach in a thread (AFAIK). If anyone would like a copy of it, just PM me your email address. This is an additional document on German Brewing from 1850-1900 from the Braukaiser site.

#15 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

Comproller of Toilet Tank Vodka

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8895 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:36 PM

Cool video!

When that guy was shoveling the grains down the chute, I wondered how he knew how much to throw down there. It didn't look like he was measuring it out or weighing it in any way.

My guess is that the mill meters how much runs through, and he just has to keep the hopper from running out. They run it until the mash tun is full, and then shut off the feed.The chiller is neat- just running the beer over the outside of the cooling coils to drop it from 60C to 6C in one minute (140F to 43F).The keg/barrel washer looks like a stereotypical over-engineered German idea- WTF is with that giant moving rack?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users