55 replies to this topic

#21 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 02:29 PM

Mine had some good zip but I used the tomatoes with chiles along with one jollie. Glad to hear it was good. I plan to refine this a little and post the progress.

#22 Iraq Lobstah

Iraq Lobstah

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43060 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 29 October 2017 - 03:30 PM

Currently have this simmering away. Smells ####ing awesome.

My changes
-added roux
-rather than sauteeing the shimp shucks, I put them in a grain stock and boiled them for 20min after adding the water
- 2 adobe pepper chopped and 2 tsp of the adobe sauce.
- Used fire roasted tomatoes, rather than the ones with chilies.
- And rather than using veggie stock, I use this in most of my seafood soups or chowders. Was on the shelf in Maine, but have to amazon this here.

d85a986b-4b38-4d19-b51b-9607ae72d68f_1.c

I need that consume in my life... Thsnks for letting me know it exists

#23 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 04:05 PM

Aspen: how did you make your roux? What ingredients specifically?

#24 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 29 October 2017 - 04:07 PM

Better than bullion should be in every fridge :D

#25 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 04:54 PM

I also like the idea of fire-roasted tomatoes. I'm trying to get the character of the broth in THAT direction instead of the more veggie-inspired direction (carrots, celery, oregano). I want the broth to be reddish-brown with some thickness and some zip. I also want the broth to be smooth, not filled with veggies. I want the solid pieces in the broth to be shrimp and maybe the avocado that I add and that's it. Everything else is going to be zipped up in the ninja which will also add to the thickening along with the tomato paste.

#26 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19051 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 29 October 2017 - 05:13 PM

Better than bullion should be in every fridge :D

It is very handy. Never used the lobster, though.

#27 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 29 October 2017 - 05:35 PM

It is very handy. Never used the lobster, though.

me either, but they make a great soup base

#28 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28144 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 29 October 2017 - 11:22 PM

Aspen: how did you make your roux? What ingredients specifically?

2 TSB butter
2 TSB King Arthur flour

Did the roux in a side pan. Timed it to finish with the sauté. Folded it in and started from there.

#29 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 06:06 AM

Okay, sweet. I've only used Masa Harina to make a roux so maybe I'll try this for the thickening with no real flavor contribution. I'll try this again in a couple weeks. Cheers.

#30 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 01:32 PM

Okay, Sopa de Camaron v2.0 is coming up tonight.

I have 2 pounds of jumbo shrimp cleaned up & cut up and the shells will be put into the pot with ¼ cup EVOO and cooked over medium heat (lid on) for 5 minutes. 1 cup of water added, stir and remove shells.

I am dry roasting 6 cloves of garlic and a jalapeno until browned and blistered and I'm sautéing one medium onion until browned and then I'm putting the garlic, jollie and onion into the Ninja and zipping it into a slurry and pouring that into the pot.

I'm also rehydrating a bunch of dried chile pods: Guajullo, Morita, Nuevo Mexico, Pasilla. Those will go into the Ninja and zipped up too & added to the pot.

Into the pot with all of that will be about ¾ of a can of tomato paste, one 14 ounce can of diced Muir Glen fire-roasted tomatoes with adobo seasoning, a teaspoon of black pepper and two packets of this Goya seasoning with tomato & cilantro and then 64 ounces of vegetable stock (I found one with LOWER sodium but not LOW sodium).

I'm not sure if I'll make the roux or not... butter with either flour or masa harina. Game-time decision.

Simmer for 30 minutes with the shrimp going into the broth for the last 5 minutes.

I'll serve it with shredded Monterrey Jack cheese and diced avocado and I'll try to snap a pic of it.

#31 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 05:35 PM

Okay, this was much better...

2u7lpit.jpg

The only error I made was using too many of the dried chile pods... this soup was really spicy. It was good but spicy. My wife had two bowls and my son had one. I can never really be sure how much heat I'm going to get out of those things and the morita peppers (which are smoky and I believe they are actually a jalapeno and roasted differently so that they differ from the chipotle which is also a jalapeno) are quite spicy and hard to remove the seeds from because they're small. Anyway, the flavor was great but fewer peppers next time. I did make a masa harina roux for it too.

#32 Iraq Lobstah

Iraq Lobstah

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43060 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 02 November 2017 - 05:45 PM

Did you order Mainelys magic seafood soup dust?
That looks El Majico

#33 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 01:47 PM

I had some of this for lunch today and I'm pretty happy with it.  The flavor component of the roux I made with the masa harina is not as evident because of all the other flavors competing in this soup.  So the next time I make it I might just use butter and flour.  I think the soup still benefits from the roux but plain flour is probably fine.  I'll use fewer dried chile pods and then leave everything else the same.  Awesome Sopa de Camaron. 

#34 bierboy

bierboy

Comptroller of Temporary Pancakes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15748 posts
  • LocationThe Firey Pits of Liberal Hell

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:05 PM

Currently have this simmering away.  Smells ####ing awesome.

My changes

-added roux

-rather than sauteeing the shimp shucks, I put them in a grain stock and boiled them for 20min after adding the water

- And rather than using veggie stock, I use this in most of my seafood soups or chowders.  Was on the shelf in Maine, but have to amazon this here.

I saw this at the grocery store yesterday.  Woodman's for those in WI.  If I wanted to make a lobster bisque would it work well?

#35 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28144 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:29 PM

Oh yeah. I use it for all seafood soups I make. Bisques especially.

#36 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:48 AM

I saw this at the grocery store yesterday.  Woodman's for those in WI.  If I wanted to make a lobster bisque would it work well?

When possible, I try to make something with only individual ingredients as opposed to using a certain "product" in the recipe. I guess my fear is that the product will stop being produced and my recipe will be fecked. In my chicken tortilla soup I use a jar of a certain kind of salsa (Frontera Roasted Tomato). I could use another salsa or maybe just fire-roasted tomatoes in a can which I know I can always get. If this seafood bouillon absolutely made the soup but then I couldn't find it, I wouldn't be able to make the soup the same way again. As it is, I'm using this Goya Sezan in this shrimp soup and at some point I'll want to see if I can scratch it from the recipe so I don't have to rely on it.

#37 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28144 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:07 AM

I don’t see it going away any time soon. Been around for more than 10 years, and it’s available on amazon. I see they keep adding flavors, not reducing them. I just saw a roasted garlic one my last trip to the grocery store that was new.

#38 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:25 AM

I don’t see it going away any time soon. Been around for more than 10 years, and it’s available on amazon. I see they keep adding flavors, not reducing them. I just saw a roasted garlic one my last trip to the grocery store that was new.

Good to know. I also suppose you might have an ingredient that's been around for 35 years or something and that would give you some confidence that the product would be around awhile.

#39 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28144 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 22 December 2017 - 03:36 PM

Currently have this simmering away.  Smells ####ing awesome.

My changes

-added roux

- And rather than using veggie stock, I use this in most of my seafood soups or chowders.  Was on the shelf in Maine, but have to amazon this here.

My parents are out here, I made this again, exactly the same way.  They both had multiple helpings and asked for the recipe.  It went over very well, I'd say!  

#40 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 10:34 AM

My parents are out here, I made this again, exactly the same way.  They both had multiple helpings and asked for the recipe.  It went over very well, I'd say!

w00t!

:frank:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users