20 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54018 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:26 PM

I thought I posted this (or mentioned this) recipe but I can't find it. I went to the LHBS a few weeks ago and sampled the brewer's Cashmere Pale Ale and she emailed me the recipe. This is a very nice beer and I thought I would share it. I was there again today and picked up the last three ounces of Cashmere pellets she had. The recipe does not show the yeast but she used WINDSOR DRY yeast. I am going to be using some 1469 W. Yorkshire on some upcoming pale ales soon and may do this one. I would NOT use the acid malt (I think I'm out of it) and the Abbey malt is supposedly the same as Aromatic. I would also be using the Swaen Pale Ale malt for the base malt. The sample I had in the store was delicious.

cashmerepalealesnip.png

EDIT 11.25.2017: Add 2 ounces of Cashmere pellets in a DH addition for 7 days.

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:28 PM

I have a 1/2 pound of Cashmere I have been hanging on to and want to sneak it into a PA or IPA soon.

#3 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:29 PM

"Oh let the sun beat down upon my face....."

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54018 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:30 PM

I have a 1/2 pound of Cashmere I have been hanging on to and want to sneak it into a PA or IPA soon.

A quick Google search tells that the hop is super fruity and pairs well with Mosaic but I have to say that her sample was not overly fruity. It was very, very nice but I did not think it was a fruit bomb like Citra tends to be.

#5 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:34 PM

A quick Google search tells that the hop is super fruity and pairs well with Mosaic but I have to say that her sample was not overly fruity. It was very, very nice but I did not think it was a fruit bomb like Citra tends to be.

But she also only used 2oz for flavor/aroma, one of which was boiled 15 min. Good chance the fruitiness hop aficionados are looking for pops out at higher and later dosages.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54018 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:42 PM

But she also only used 2oz for flavor/aroma, one of which was boiled 15 min. Good chance the fruitiness hop aficionados are looking for pops out at higher and later dosages.

Agreed. What I may do is use another hop to bitter with (Nugget, Horizon) for 30 minutes (notice she has a 60m boil time) and then go 15, 5 and whirlpool with the Cashmere. I don't think that would alter much of anything other than the fact that the original recipe is an "all-Cashmere" beer. I also don't think it would make the beer a fruit bomb but maybe a bit more fruit than the original. I'll also have to dig deep into my specialty grain container... haven't used Aromatic or Victory in awhile and not sure I have any.

#7 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:46 PM

"Oh let the sun beat down upon my face....."

Lol. Your thinking Kashmir.  :)

#8 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:58 PM

Cashmere?   Sounds luxurious, except for the Windsor ale yeast.  I dislike that one. A lot. 

#9 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:16 PM

Cashmere?   Sounds luxurious, except for the Windsor ale yeast.  I dislike that one. A lot. 

Ken says in the OP that he would use 1469 W. Yorkshire Ale, which I can attest, is a damn fine yeast, and will make a very nice pale ale.

And I agree about not liking Windsor; it is not a favorite yeast of mine by any means.

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54018 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:26 PM

If I have used Windsor it was part of a kit and a very, very long time ago. I could see using 1056, WL001, Omega West Coast or just about any liquid English yeast like 1968, 1028, 1099, 1469, etc.

#11 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:34 AM

Indeed

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54018 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:47 AM

I know this has bounced around in the PH before but I just love this scene with Jack White, The Edge and Jimmy Page talking about Kashmir. I love when he hits that thing at about :50.

#13 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:21 AM

I know this has bounced around in the PH before but I just love this scene with Jack White, The Edge and Jimmy Page talking about Kashmir. I love when he hits that thing at about :50.

Yep, that is good stuff right there.

#14 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:40 AM

ZoSo is a legend. Not a big U2 guy but Jack White's on my dial.

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54018 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 11:29 AM

I rifled through my specialties yesterday and I plan to make this beer pretty much "as-is"... Swaen Pale Ale malt for the base and then Special B, Victory and Abbey Malt (Aromatic). I'm going to shorten the boil to a 30 and use one ounce of the Cashmere early and then bump those early IBUs with something like Nugget, Horizon or whatever other clean bittering hop I have. Then use the Cashmere at 15 and WP and use 1469 for the yeast. I actually do have some acid malt left and I could use it but then I might have to guess on what my pH will be like because I don't ordinarily use it. When the 1469 is fired up it's going to be an authentic bitter/ESB with the Swaen Pale Ale malt, British Crystal, torrified wheat and then EKGs & Styrian Golding for the hops and then maybe this Cashmere Pale Ale and then onto one of the "new hop" beers with El Dorado and Lemon Drop.

#16 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 01:15 PM

I rifled through my specialties yesterday and I plan to make this beer pretty much "as-is"... Swaen Pale Ale malt for the base and then Special B, Victory and Abbey Malt (Aromatic). I'm going to shorten the boil to a 30 and use one ounce of the Cashmere early and then bump those early IBUs with something like Nugget, Horizon or whatever other clean bittering hop I have. Then use the Cashmere at 15 and WP and use 1469 for the yeast. I actually do have some acid malt left and I could use it but then I might have to guess on what my pH will be like because I don't ordinarily use it. When the 1469 is fired up it's going to be an authentic bitter/ESB with the Swaen Pale Ale malt, British Crystal, torrified wheat and then EKGs & Styrian Golding for the hops and then maybe this Cashmere Pale Ale and then onto one of the "new hop" beers with El Dorado and Lemon Drop.

Yummly.

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54018 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 02:02 PM

Yummly.

Yeah, it's been awhile and it's one of my favorite styles to make. The 1469 should do it up righteously.

#18 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:15 AM

It works OK for some dark beer styles, fast fermenter, gotta give it a few days after it's 3-4 day run to clean up diacetyl, don't let it get to warm either in active stage, it gets phenolic

I used to brew a pretty good clone of Alaskan Amber in my extact days using 5gr eack og Windsor and Notty

by the way, Cashmere is named for a small farming hamlet in the Wenatchee Valley, luxury doesn't come to mind when I think of there :D

Edited by miccullen, 28 October 2017 - 10:17 AM.

#19 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 02 November 2017 - 11:47 AM

Nice! I was planing on buying some cashmere to give it a try. It's one of the few available public domain hop varieties that is "new." I'm going to be planting some this summer.

Now if only i could find some Simcoe rhizomes! 

#20 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54018 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 08:59 AM

People: I am planning on making this beer tomorrow if everything falls into place. I was just putting the recipe together for how I plan to make it and I realized that way at the bottom of this page it shows that she added two ounces of Cashmere in a dry hop addition for 7 days. When I was in her store I bought the last 3 ounces of her Cashmere hops and she said, "Perfect! That's all you need to make the Cashmere Pale Ale!" but you would want 5 OUNCES, not three. So I'm going to bitter this with Nugget and add Cashmere at 15, 5 and then into the WP and not bother to dry hop it since I only have three ounces. For those of you with more Cashmere... we salute you. Cheers.

Oh... and I'm using 1469 in this recipe. Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users