#1 consumptionjunction

consumptionjunction

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationMiami

Posted 22 October 2009 - 07:03 PM

I'm considering purchasing the Victoria Grain Mill from MoreBeer. I brew all grain, typically between 12 and 15 lbs of grain in each batch. I know this would not be ideal, but it's half the expense of the Barley Crusher. I was wondering if anyone has used this. Is the grain crush good? Would I always have to double crush the grain to get a good crush and efficiency? Can I hook up a drill to this?I did a search on the forum for "Victoria," and ended up with a lot of good info on Victoria's Secret catalogs... but has anyone ever used this grain mill? Should I just save up for a Barley Crusher?

#2 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9738 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 22 October 2009 - 07:15 PM

I am pretty sure that's a corona mill. There are people that use those, but from what I recall there's a SMALL number of people that like them. Everyone else gets by with them (but are not overly happy). There are many good roller mills out there, and people are usually pretty fiercely devoted to one or another. (You dont have to search long to find a "which mill do you like" thread with multiple pages, so I wont get into that here.) Bottom line is if it wont take you forever or too much sacrifice to save up for one of them, I would do that. I really think you will be happier with a roller rather than a corona mill.

#3 consumptionjunction

consumptionjunction

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationMiami

Posted 22 October 2009 - 07:28 PM

Thanks, I'll do that search. But just to note, MoreBeer specifically says: "For those brewers who have been around the block and know about the old Corona Mill, which looks similar to this mill, they are not the same!"

#4 bshep

bshep

Deputy Comptroller of Teh Frankerector

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2764 posts
  • LocationDale City, VA

Posted 22 October 2009 - 07:28 PM

My $.02, I've used a corona and it's barely adequate for cracking steeping grains for extract brewing. Doing an 8lb grain bill would wear your arm out. I bought a used barley crusher from a member of this site for $60.00 shipped and I'm VERY happy with it. (Thanks, Stain :cheers: )

#5 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64185 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:15 PM

Crankandstein has the 2A model roller mill for $76. LINKThe barebones non-adjustable version of the JSP MaltMill is $85, 99 for adjustable. LINK Then, of course, there's eBay and CL. If you're willing to drop $60 on a mill, you can get something better for just a bit more, or for that price if you scrounge around.If you want to save money going with a corona-style mill, there's one on eBay that some other people are using that's going for less than $25. The seller is discounttommy. LINK

#6 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26211 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:22 PM

ummmm, when I started brewing AG 6-7 yrs ago I bought that EXACT mill for $30ish at a local mexican market. With a a few washers to adjust the gap they work well enough, but I upgraded to a 3 roller monster and couldn't be happier. I still use the Victory for harder cereal grains, but I would hunt around local for a better deal or save for a better mill.

#7 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 04:53 AM

I have a barley crusher and I think it works well. I think you can't go wrong with any of the roller style mills as they all pretty much work in a similar way.

#8 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29342 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 23 October 2009 - 05:33 AM

I used a corona knock off for 5 years. I purchased it thru norther tools for $15 + $10 shipping. For $25 to $35 I would say get it I would not get it for $50-$60. A corona mill can work and were used by a lot of people for years, a lot of people who bash them have never used one or used it 1 or 2 times before giving up. There is a learning curve to get a proper and consistent crush, you can adjust it with washer and adapt it to power with a drill. Even with the washers I would need to dial it in each time. But I don't think it is work the trible considering you are close in price to other better mills.

#9 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 05:58 AM

I used a corona knock off for 5 years. I purchased it thru norther tools for $15 + $10 shipping. For $25 to $35 I would say get it I would not get it for $50-$60. A corona mill can work and were used by a lot of people for years, a lot of people who bash them have never used one or used it 1 or 2 times before giving up. There is a learning curve to get a proper and consistent crush, you can adjust it with washer and adapt it to power with a drill. Even with the washers I would need to dial it in each time. But I don't think it is work the trible considering you are close in price to other better mills.

I def wasn't slamming it - I can just only speak to the roller variety and can say that they seem to work pretty well.

#10 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29342 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:59 AM

I def wasn't slamming it - I can just only speak to the roller variety and can say that they seem to work pretty well.

My post was directed at you, I just posted after you. To be honest my post wasn't it wasn't really directed at anyone in the thread more of an obsevation of other corona threads is thaqt people whos say don't get them have had limited or no experience with them. To me it is a cost vs how much you are will to deal with the corona flaws, for $30 I would vot yes for $60 I say no.Whay I didn'y put in my original post is that after 5 years I switched to a barley crusher and it is much easier

#11 gumballhead

gumballhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Locationsw michigan

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:05 AM

Crankandstein has the 2A model roller mill for $76. LINKThe barebones non-adjustable version of the JSP MaltMill is $85, 99 for adjustable. LINK Then, of course, there's eBay and CL. If you're willing to drop $60 on a mill, you can get something better for just a bit more, or for that price if you scrounge around.If you want to save money going with a corona-style mill, there's one on eBay that some other people are using that's going for less than $25. The seller is discounttommy. LINK

I'm with JK.the JSP is a great unit. mine was one of the original ones from the 1990'ssold it for a bigger barley crusher w\hopper.the coraona mill is great for making sausage and hamburger.but IMO not for much else. between this board and other's you shouldn't have any problem landing a great deal on aroller style mill. you won't be sorry. :cheers:

#12 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:40 AM

I've used a Corona waaay back and for a lot more than one batch and more than I'd care to admit to. So please don't call me inexperienced. :cheers:First off it is a grinder, not a mill.Let me explain.The ideal crush is to have perfect split hulls with no husk particles and grain itself turned into flour.Roller mills can come close to this. A Corona mill, by design, cannot.This is also why multi roller mills are superior to single roller mills.It's a matter of physics.If you look at the mechanics involved you will understand this.Another option is wet milling:1. The outer hull becomes pliable allowing easy removal in one piece without shredding.2. The liquid contains the dust created and process of hydration of the grist starts immediately (surface tension is removed).That said, you can get a lot done with a grinder. And a lot of folks use them.However, you probably will be happier with a roller mill.

Edited by Stout_fan, 23 October 2009 - 08:41 AM.

#13 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:50 AM

My post was directed at you, I just posted after you. To be honest my post wasn't it wasn't really directed at anyone in the thread more of an obsevation of other corona threads is thaqt people whos say don't get them have had limited or no experience with them. To me it is a cost vs how much you are will to deal with the corona flaws, for $30 I would vot yes for $60 I say no.Whay I didn'y put in my original post is that after 5 years I switched to a barley crusher and it is much easier

sorry about that - no hard feelings :cheers:

#14 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:17 AM

My Victoria Grain box say Victoria and small print corona all over it.You can hook a drill up to it, used it that way for three years.However, i would have purchased a Barley Crusher sooner had i known how much my efficiency would have improved.That is way too much for one, i paid $30 for mine. You have to do custom adjustments for specialy stuff,rye,wheat etc,,,But its better than a rolling pin. Did that early on. Good luck.

#15 nbbeerguy

nbbeerguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationFredericton NB Canada

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:27 AM

Ive never used Corona style mill before but based on reviews all over internet your best bet is to save for a roller mill as 99% of reviews are good I myself purchased a JSP maltmill and it works great my opinion is completely based on others reviews as I had done enormous amounts of research before purchasing a mill as I wanted a long lasting product that provided a consistant result. I payed alot more for my Maltmill than u will have to as im in Canada and had to have it shipped.

#16 consumptionjunction

consumptionjunction

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationMiami

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:01 AM

My Victoria Grain box say Victoria and small print corona all over it.You can hook a drill up to it, used it that way for three years.However, i would have purchased a Barley Crusher sooner had i known how much my efficiency would have improved.That is way too much for one, i paid $30 for mine. You have to do custom adjustments for specialy stuff,rye,wheat etc,,,But its better than a rolling pin. Did that early on. Good luck.

Thanks Kegdude, I think you just answered the rest of my questions. Thanks to everyone else as well, especially JKravos for those links. If anyone has a roller mill they're looking to get rid of, I'd be interested.

#17 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:27 AM

https://www.amazon.c...duct/B000QL12SM

#18 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 02:44 PM

Can I hook up a drill to this?

From the link:

* While the mill handle is removable, hooking up a drill or motor is not recommended nor needed.

Should I just save up for a Barley Crusher?

I would. Otherwise just crack your grains at the LHBS. It'll be so much easier. I wouldn't buy a mill that's going to create more work for you, instead of making your brewday easier.

#19 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 23 October 2009 - 04:37 PM

I got my 20+ yr old one out of the box about a month ago. Thought it would be nice for crushing grain for starters. My JSP is a minor pain to set up (the motor and milll are mounted on a board that sits on top of the 70 qt Coleman) I took one look at the cast milling plates and tossed it in the trash. I guess some people get these to work but it was obvious that I would end up swearing at it and taking the 3# hammer to it........

Edited by dj in kc, 23 October 2009 - 04:41 PM.

#20 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64185 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 24 October 2009 - 08:39 AM

...it was obvious that I would end up swearing at it and taking the 3# hammer to it........

that sounds like more fun than just chucking it in the trash. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users