8 replies to this topic

#1 Bevo

Bevo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:01 PM

Hi all, I am new to the forum as well as new to brewing!! I am doing an extract Kolsch and have a question about fermintation. My primary is a bottleing bucket and my delima is that I wanted to submerge it in a water tub to keep my temps down while fermenting. Do you guys think this will be a problem or should I worry about water seeping in through the spicket? Also after fermentation is complete can I rack to secondary and store at room temp?

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54467 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:32 PM

The drum taps on those bottling buckets are not supposed to leak, but I would be a little concerned about something in the water getting in there and contaminating your kölsch. My suggestion would be to visit your local supply house (or order online) and just get a standard plastic fermenter (6½ gallon with fitted lid that has a hole in it to accept an airlock). Yes, you can send the beer to a secondary and let it sit at room temp. It's better if it's cooler so find the coolest spot you have and place it there. Then you can send it to the bottling bucket and package it. Do you have a racking cane & tubing or an autosiphon? I'm thinking that you may not because you would have ordinarily just opened the spigot and racked it that way. Also, I have a bunch of stuff for new brewers on my site... link is below. Welcome to the board and good luck.

#3 Bevo

Bevo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:07 PM

Thanks for the reply, I will just get another bucket or a 6.5 gallon carboy for my primary...little extra money is worth the piece of mind.

#4 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:48 PM

Thanks for the reply, I will just get another bucket or a 6.5 gallon carboy for my primary...little extra money is worth the piece of mind.

Exactly plus now you'll have a secondary to make crystal clear beer...(Not that a little time and patience couldn't get you that in just a primary.

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:05 AM

Welcome bevo - keep asking questions! :)

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54467 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:56 AM

I know I have bumped into new/newer brewers where their kit used the bottling bucket as a primary. But submerging one of those in water is a new proposition that I wouldn't have considered. There was also the conversation of what to do with the beer once you want to bottle... just pour priming solution into the primary, open up the drum tap and bottle? I realize Bevo is going to a secondary anyway so I suppose it's a non-issue. It's best to have at least 1 regular primary (glass or plastic) and the plastic ones are probably between $7 and $10. Cheers.

#7 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10761 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 22 October 2009 - 07:36 AM

You mention secondary, what vessal do you have for this? If it is another bottling bucket I would suggest when you rack from your current primary to secondary you skip the easy use of the spigot and siphon out of the primary as if the spigot was not there. That way you are at least not running beer thru your non-sanitized spigot.I agree with all the others, get a standard bucket for primary and an autosiphon to rack the beer.

#8 Bevo

Bevo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 October 2009 - 01:23 PM

I agree with you guys. Today I went and purchased a regular bucket with no spicket...Now I have a 6.5 gallon bucket and a 5gallon glass carboy for secondary and a bottleing bucket. I think im set. Oh, I also purchased the autosiphon. My Brewday is next weekend, I am pretty excited!

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54467 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 04:26 PM

I agree with you guys. Today I went and purchased a regular bucket with no spicket...Now I have a 6.5 gallon bucket and a 5gallon glass carboy for secondary and a bottleing bucket. I think im set. Oh, I also purchased the autosiphon. My Brewday is next weekend, I am pretty excited!

That's awesome... you're set for your batch. Eventually, you'll get more primaries & secondaries for simultaneous batches! But for now, you're in good shape. :cheers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users