#41 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:29 AM

I'm a little late to the party, but I agree that the Kolsch yeast is the go to.

#42 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:39 AM

There is an AHA thread about it where it implies it is a kolsch.  It may be from the same source that was talked about earlier in this thread because is was from one of the LoDo proponents.

#43 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53920 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:47 AM

I'm mildly torn on this because while I find SC to be a perfectly inoffensive beer, a well-made kolsch should be clear and the fruitiness should be there but just barely. A nice kolsch can be as nice to drink as a German helles or pilsner but I get a smidge more estery/funky/fruity/yeasty character out of SC. I'm sure that the recipe posted by neddles will get George into the zip code so I'll be interested to hear how it comes out. George, put down the soap and pick up the brewing supplies. :lol:

#44 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:51 AM

I'm mildly torn on this because while I find SC to be a perfectly inoffensive beer, a well-made kolsch should be clear and the fruitiness should be there but just barely. A nice kolsch can be as nice to drink as a German helles or pilsner but I get a smidge more estery/funky/fruity/yeasty character out of SC. I'm sure that the recipe posted by neddles will get George into the zip code so I'll be interested to hear how it comes out. George, put down the soap and pick up the brewing supplies. :lol:

Sounds to me like the beer is fermented on the warm side to throw those esters.

#45 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53920 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:54 AM

Sounds to me like the beer is fermented on the warm side to throw those esters.

I don't know but it's possible. I forget the low end of 2565 but it's somewhere in the 55-58° range and I try to keep it in that range. It still ferments nicely and fully and the beer is crisp and clean but the slight fruit & wine character is still there. If you go higher then esters, fruit and more funky flavors come out. Spotted Cow is not funky funky but with the yeast still in there plus the possible higher fermenting temp, it's not quite as clean as I would like to see if it were actually a kolsch. I'd also like to see a kolsch "clear". But that's just me.

#46 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16611 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 10:48 AM

I have never seen NG refer to it as a Kolsch. In fact I don't think I have ever seen them call it a Cream Ale either. That designation seems to have come from others. What they have done is call it a Farmhouse Ale and the more you dig into it the more that seems most appropriate. They (wisely, as it was designed for mass appeal) picked a characterful yeast that was devoid of all the unfamiliar and potentially offensive flavors typical of saison yeast. No clove, no banana, no bubblegum, no offensive phenolics or other POF+ characters. Just a pleasant fruitiness. Simple grist, characterful yeast, a nice complement of hops and a dry finish... sound familiar?

#47 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53920 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 01:43 PM

I think I mentioned this before... our tour guide at NG told this story: A group of Wisconsinites went into a tavern and ordered pitchers of Spotted Cow. Apparently that particular bar didn't sell a lot of Spotted Cow and the beer had sat long enough that it cleared. The pitchers arrived at the table and the people complained and said that it wasn't Spotted Cow because it's supposed to be hazy. The beertender assured them that it was SC and asked them to taste it. It was good. But they were all palms up because they had never seen clear Spotted Cow. :D

#48 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47927 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:48 PM

I'm still on this, Guys. Gonna try to dig out the brewery tomorrow.

#49 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53920 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 06:33 AM

Good luck George. Report back. Did you keep a few bottles of the real SC to compare against? I feel like you would be helping a number of people on other forums with a recipe. Next up... Moon Man. :D

#50 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 06 August 2017 - 11:06 AM

George... did you do it? 

What was your grain bill and hops schedule.  I've been giving my kegs "deep cleaning"... which means they should be filled.  Will run with whatever your recipe is so we can "compare notes" on finished product.

#51 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47927 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:58 AM

Haven't done it yet.  I got everything pulled out of the corner and cleaned the garage Saturday.  Now I have to refurb the brewery before I can brew.  I wasn't kidding about the verdigris, and the heater is installed, but not hooked up yet.   Hell, the fermentation fridge is being  used for serving and the serving fridge isn't even turned on right now.  Got some work to do.

Unless I just buy some light extract and a bit of Liberty and do it on the stovetop with 2565.  Still need to clean my chiller, though...

What calculator is everyone using now?  I don't think Promash will work in Win 10.

#52 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16611 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:06 AM

Beersmith here.

#53 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53920 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:07 AM

I was over at my BIL's over the weekend and he asked me if I wanted some beer. He had Goose Island 312 and it was a warm and sunny day so it seemed appropriate. As I drank it I realized that it was a similar beast to Spotted Cow. Mildly hazy, a good amount of wheat, clean (for the most part) hops, low IBUs, low ABV, etc. George, not sure if you ever tried 312 but I assume it's available in your area and very similar to Spotted Cow, generally speaking.

As for calculators, I know it's terrible and outdated but I just go onto Tastybrew.com and enter my recipe there and either snip it and save it or print it. The style guidelines are not accurate and many of today's grains and hops are not in the drop down but it's simple and accurate as far as I can tell.

#54 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:15 AM

What calculator is everyone using now?  I don't think Promash will work in Win 10.

I have and use both Beersmith Mobile and Beer Tools Pro but more often than not a spreadsheet I got off BYO and modified a while back.

I think Beer smith and Beertools Pro both have trials you can download and use for 20 day or so.

#55 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:06 AM

Haven't done it yet.  I got everything pulled out of the corner and cleaned the garage Saturday.  Now I have to refurb the brewery before I can brew.  I wasn't kidding about the verdigris, and the heater is installed, but not hooked up yet.   Hell, the fermentation fridge is being  used for serving and the serving fridge isn't even turned on right now.  Got some work to do.

Unless I just buy some light extract and a bit of Liberty and do it on the stovetop with 2565.  Still need to clean my chiller, though...

yes it does

#56 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:10 AM

also, check out Brewtarget

#57 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:39 AM

I've been using BeerSmith for years... just purchased the app for my phone and am learning how it tailor it to my needs.

#58 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47927 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:32 AM

Alright.  Somebody give me an all-extract recipe and I might just do this bitch tonight.  Not even a partial mash, please, just light extract and a hop.

#59 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:52 AM

Alright.  Somebody give me an all-extract recipe and I might just do this bitch tonight.  Not even a partial mash, please, just light extract and a hop.

I did add some wheat but you can take that out and just use all light.   No idea if it is what you want just took the info from the thread.

20768170_10156706483319657_1031891152102

#60 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47927 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:00 AM

yes it does

It sure does.  I never would have guessed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users