#1 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:53 PM

Ok so here is a recipe that I threw together a few months ago. I never got around to making it but given a recent DaBeerSox request for thinking outside the box I am posting this recipe. My thoughts are on this beer that the grain bill will allow for a malty, nutty flavor. Playing with that would be the banana flavor of 3068 from a fermentation of 66 degrees. This beer is envisioned as a Banana Bread flavored Brown Ale type beer. So here it is. Feedback is appreciated.Type: All GrainDate: 5/10/2009 Batch Size: 5.25 gal Boil Time: 60 min Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 Taste Notes: Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU 9.50 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 82.61 % 0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.52 % 0.75 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 6.52 % 0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4.35 % 1.25 oz Northern Brewer [8.90 %] (60 min) Hops 35.5 IBU 1 Pkgs Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068) Yeast-Wheat Beer ProfileEst Original Gravity: 1.060 SGBitterness: 35.5 IBU Est Color: 25.5 SRM CMash at 152

#2 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:29 PM

I love the idea...this would be a perfect brew after the dampfbier b/c i can just throw it on the cake. I'll check back in awhile.

#3 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:14 PM

I love the idea...this would be a perfect brew after the dampfbier b/c i can just throw it on the cake. I'll check back in awhile.

DBS, I will look forward to hearing how this brew turns out for you. I am going to have to squeeze it in sometime too. I feel more inspired and wanna see how it will turn out. :)

#4 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:29 PM

DBS, I will look forward to hearing how this brew turns out for you. I am going to have to squeeze it in sometime too. I feel more inspired and wanna see how it will turn out. :cheers:

If this were mine I would drop the IBU back to some where in the mid 20's. 35 seems a little unbalanced in a recipe like this, especially if you are going foir the whole banana- nut thing. You would want to emphasize the yeast profile and the malt's nuttiness, right?

#5 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 13 November 2009 - 04:22 PM

If this were mine I would drop the IBU back to some where in the mid 20's. 35 seems a little unbalanced in a recipe like this, especially if you are going foir the whole banana- nut thing. You would want to emphasize the yeast profile and the malt's nuttiness, right?

Yes that is a good point. I will cut it back now that you add that suggestion. I don't want the hoppy as much as I want the banana of the yeast and nuttiness of the malt. I have not brewed this yet as I have not been too thrilled with the performed of the 3068 in the last few beers. I saved the slurry but I might just save this recipe and brew it with a fresh starter of 3068 too. We will see. Too many beers to brew and not enough time. :wub:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users