#1 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:16 PM

Basically a recipe from a july/aug 2006 issue of BYO. (hops excluded)6.50 German Pils Malt2.75 Munich.75oz US Hallertauer 4.5AA 60 min1 oz Czech Saaz 2.25AA flameoutWyeast 3068 at around 68 to 70 degrees OG 1.050 EFG: 1.010 IBU: 16.8 SRM 5.4

#2 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:20 PM

Looks good, but I think the gravity should come down to the 1.04-ish range for authenticity, but 1.050 will be quite tasty. I would just let the fermentation temp go where it pleases in the tradition of the beer. IBUs look right where I think they should be.

#3 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:05 PM

Looks good, but I think the gravity should come down to the 1.04-ish range for authenticity, but 1.050 will be quite tasty. I would just let the fermentation temp go where it pleases in the tradition of the beer. IBUs look right where I think they should be.

I suppose the Mattingly batch is history? Sadly, never got to try it. I really like the concept but not enough to brew 10 gal of it without tasting some since those yeasts throw some stuff that I'm still learning to appreciate, especially without the wheat. Should I bring some of the Baltic to STL on Sat? Can't see how it will get much better but I'm hoping.

#4 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:16 PM

Yea, I noticed after a little more research the recipe that I found was not the exact from BYO. In that issue I guess he says to get the OG to 1.048...i'll probably adjust to there and take your advice with letting the yeast do its thing, by the time i get to it ambient will probably be around 65-68 so it probably wont go "wild"...

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:05 PM

I like the look of it, but to be honest, 3068 is so not my cup of tea. I just can't get past that banana & clove profile. What would happen if you used 3068 at a much lower temp? I know that's not authentically correct for this recipe, I just wonder how much of that flavor would be muted by using a lower fermentation temp. Just a 2¢ thought. Good luck with it!

#6 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:42 PM

I like the look of it, but to be honest, 3068 is so not my cup of tea. I just can't get past that banana & clove profile. What would happen if you used 3068 at a much lower temp? I know that's not authentically correct for this recipe, I just wonder how much of that flavor would be muted by using a lower fermentation temp. Just a 2¢ thought. Good luck with it!

Yea I love the profile of 3068 so I will probably just let it fly. I have used it at around 62 as brewing classic styles suggests and it ramps it down quite a bit.

#7 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 20 October 2009 - 04:13 PM

Yea I love the profile of 3068 so I will probably just let it fly. I have used it at around 62 as brewing classic styles suggests and it ramps it down quite a bit.

I completly agree about fermenting at 62 degrees. I used 3068 in this Weizenbock that I have sitting still in primary. When I did a final gravity check after fermenting at 62 degrees for a week and a half I got no banana but some spiciness from it, more the clove for sure. Definite difference then at 66 degrees where I ferment my Hefes at for that outstanding banana flavor.

#8 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 20 October 2009 - 04:27 PM

Much of that banana and clove character most associate with is a product of feeding that strain the proper wort. A wort made with larger portions of wheat contains more of the precursors to those compounds, and the yeast finishes the job. An all barley malt beer shouldn't be as banana-y and clove-y as one with lots of wheat with all other variables kept in check.

#9 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 04:28 PM

Could I make this with all Hallertau MF? Is it appropriate for the yeast to drop out of this beer or should it be cloudy?

#10 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:11 AM

Could I make this with all Hallertau MF? Is it appropriate for the yeast to drop out of this beer or should it be cloudy?

I believe in the recipe from BYO it said to use 14 IBU worth of Hallertauer MF then another half ounce at flameout...so the answer is yes... from what I have read any of the noble hops should do well in this. Here is the best thing written about the style that I could find https://www.germanbe.../Dampfbier.html

#11 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:08 AM

I believe in the recipe from BYO it said to use 14 IBU worth of Hallertauer MF then another half ounce at flameout...so the answer is yes... from what I have read any of the noble hops should do well in this. Here is the best thing written about the style that I could find https://www.germanbe.../Dampfbier.html

Since it mentions lagering I assume this is meant to clear up quite a bit. This sounds like an interesting beer and I like the story that goes with it. Since I have some 3068 I think I'd like to try this one out...

#12 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:45 AM

Certainly lower temps will help but another factor is if the yeast drops out of suspension the taste goes way down. When I made my first hef I kegged it and the yeast settled out before I could finish it. At the start of the keg it was banana and clove all the way. By the end of the keg the yeast had largely dropped out of suspension and it was pretty subdued. So has anyone here tried one of these beers? There isn't a ton of info out there that I can find...

#13 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:41 AM

I am interested in the lagering aspect...some things I read about the style don't mention it however that (the most in depth) does. Drew did you lager when you brewed it at Mattingly?

#14 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 22 October 2009 - 07:19 PM

I served two cornies, one was fresh (three weeks or so) and one that had lagered for about a month. They were pretty similar in flavor and texture, but the older one was a bit more clear.

#15 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:00 AM

I served two cornies, one was fresh (three weeks or so) and one that had lagered for about a month. They were pretty similar in flavor and texture, but the older one was a bit more clear.

I seemed to find when the yeast dropped out the flavor changed a decent amount when I use this yeast but maybe that had more to do with age and less to do with they yeast dropping out of suspension.

#16 MetlGuy

MetlGuy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationYork, SC

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:40 AM

I've been to the Dampfe brewery in Essen. The Borbecker Helles is just a German Helles. The Salon Bier is a nice pilsner in the style of Dortmunduer Export. The Dampfebier is a German steam beer.

#17 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 07 November 2009 - 04:08 PM

Brewing this one up tomorrow. I have Hallertauer on hand somewhere in the back of the freezer but I have a lot more perle and the vacuum bag doesn't seem to want to hold. So I am going to switch up the bittering addition to .5 oz of Perle. 1 oz of Czech Saaz at flameout is still on. Since it's a bittering addition I dont think it should make that much of a difference. Drew what do you think?

#18 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 07 December 2009 - 12:20 PM

Bottled this one last night. It had been sitting for a good while so it was crystal clear, the Munich gave it a great straw/orangish color. The aroma was straight from the yeast...sorta bubblegum a little banana. Quite honestly there may have been clove but I have never tasted "clove" from one of those yeasts...I never understood that as a describer for these types of yeasts. Anyway started at 1.044 ended at 1.012 so 4.2% Alc by volume.From the sample this seems like a great refreshing beer. Probably best suited for the summer but i cannot wait until this is carbed up.

#19 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 12:34 PM

Bottled this one last night. It had been sitting for a good while so it was crystal clear, the Munich gave it a great straw/orangish color. The aroma was straight from the yeast...sorta bubblegum a little banana. Quite honestly there may have been clove but I have never tasted "clove" from one of those yeasts...I never understood that as a describer for these types of yeasts. Anyway started at 1.044 ended at 1.012 so 4.2% Alc by volume. From the sample this seems like a great refreshing beer. Probably best suited for the summer but i cannot wait until this is carbed up.

can't wait to hear how this is - I'll be making this at some point in the next few months.

#20 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:21 PM

Bottled this one last night. It had been sitting for a good while so it was crystal clear, the Munich gave it a great straw/orangish color. The aroma was straight from the yeast...sorta bubblegum a little banana. Quite honestly there may have been clove but I have never tasted "clove" from one of those yeasts...I never understood that as a describer for these types of yeasts. Anyway started at 1.044 ended at 1.012 so 4.2% Alc by volume. From the sample this seems like a great refreshing beer. Probably best suited for the summer but i cannot wait until this is carbed up.

updates now that it's probably carbed??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users