22 replies to this topic

#1 brewhead

brewhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 04:34 PM

..so i'm at a jobsite visit on a project we are going to bid. and afterwords i travel up the road a piece and there's this old restaurant/bar of some sorts being demolished. so being the eager beaver scout i stop by and ask the construction manager what is going to be built there etc...trying to get the leads.in the course of the convo i notice that in the pile of trash and wood that has already been demolished lies from what i can tell are two cornies. i ask the construction manager if i may retrieve them from the trash. he says why not since they are just going to be hauled off to the landfill. turns out there are 8 cornies. all pinlocks in good condition.so my delima is this. should i try to return them to the coke plant...i thought pinlocks had been since abandoned for ball locks. or since i did ask in good faith, and was given permission, should i keep them and use them?

#2 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28455 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 09 April 2009 - 04:36 PM

They'll live happier lives with beer in them compared to soda...

#3 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26185 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 09 April 2009 - 04:36 PM

your choice ... but I would just keep them :covreyes:

#4 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 09 April 2009 - 04:37 PM

..so i'm at a jobsite visit on a project we are going to bid. and afterwords i travel up the road a piece and there's this old restaurant/bar of some sorts being demolished. so being the eager beaver scout i stop by and ask the construction manager what is going to be built there etc...trying to get the leads.in the course of the convo i notice that in the pile of trash and wood that has already been demolished lies from what i can tell are two cornies. i ask the construction manager if i may retrieve them from the trash. he says why not since they are just going to be hauled off to the landfill. turns out there are 8 cornies. all pinlocks in good condition.so my delima is this. should i try to return them to the coke plant...i thought pinlocks had been since abandoned for ball locks. or since i did ask in good faith, and was given permission, should i keep them and use them?

I'd keep and use or resell on Craigslist.

#5 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 09 April 2009 - 04:38 PM

This is a no-brainer. Coke has no use for them as they use some kind of box or something now. They would probably take them from you just for principal only to turn around and toss them anyways. Keep em

#6 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 09 April 2009 - 04:48 PM

Based on previous discussions on Sanke kegs at the other board, and the passions stirred in some people in regards to the ethics of keeping them, I will refrain from offering an opinion. I will say that I see this situation as ethically identical to the other discussion.

#7 brewhead

brewhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 04:50 PM

Based on previous discussions on Sanke kegs at the other board, and the passions stirred in some people in regards to the ethics of keeping them, I will refrain from offering an opinion. I will say that I see this situation as ethically identical to the other discussion.

elaborate - since i was not privy to the "other" discussion

#8 *_Guest_BigBossMan_*

*_Guest_BigBossMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2009 - 04:56 PM

This is a no-brainer. Coke has no use for them as they use some kind of box or something now. They would probably take them from you just for principal only to turn around and toss them anyways. Keep em

I'm with badogg on this one. Also, you can convert pin locks to balls locks.

#9 brewhead

brewhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 04:59 PM

I'm with badogg on this one. Also, you can convert pin locks to balls locks.

actually my whole entire system is pinlocks as that is what i started with.

#10 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 09 April 2009 - 04:59 PM

Someone mentioned that some friends of his were throwing out some accumulated sanke kegs from their apartment, so he offered to take them off their hands. First, he checked with the brewery they were from to see if he could return them in exchange for the deposits on them. He was advised by a brewery representative that he couldn't get the deposits since they were not taken out in his name, but they might throw him a six pack for his effort if he hauled all 7 or 8 (I forget exactly how many) kegs a few hunderd miles to them. He was further advised by the brewery rep that it might be best to just drop them off at a scrap metal yard. Some people were of the opinion that it was completely wrong for him to keep the kegs under the circumstances, and that he should instead deliver them back to the brewery for free.

#11 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29304 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:05 PM

Kegs are technically owned by the brewery or in this case Coke. When ever someone gets a sanke in order to cut the top off the ethical debate comes into play. The truth is it is stealing but there are gray areas that people accept: places that will not take the keg back w/o a receipt, kegs purchases from a savage yard (which were probably stolen and sold for scrap), kegs purchases from resturants or distributors. Then there are some that thinks it is ok to steal from a big macro brewery but not a micro.With corny kegs it is really the same issue but a lot of the corney kegs have been taken off of the market and replaced with soda in a box. But there are still corney keg accounts (I think it is the ones w/o running water). So there is still some use for them. You don't really see the debate about corney kegs like you do with sanke.What I always find interesting is that you don't see a debate about the kegs once someone cuts them open and builds a scupture.If it was me I would keep them.

#12 brewhead

brewhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:10 PM

Kegs are technically owned by the brewery or in this case Coke. When ever someone gets a sanke in order to cut the top off the ethical debate comes into play. The truth is it is stealing but there are gray areas that people accept: places that will not take the keg back w/o a receipt, kegs purchases from a savage yard (which were probably stolen and sold for scrap), kegs purchases from resturants or distributors. Then there are some that thinks it is ok to steal from a big macro brewery but not a micro.With corny kegs it is really the same issue but a lot of the corney kegs have been taken off of the market and replaced with soda in a box. But there are still corney keg accounts (I think it is the ones w/o running water). So there is still some use for them. You don't really see the debate about corney kegs like you do with sanke.What I always find interesting is that you don't see a debate about the kegs once someone cuts them open and builds a scupture.If it was me I would keep them.

understood. technically, all the brewania signs and liquor signs i have in the barn are property of...though i have obtained them from legitimate sources....for instance i have a huge crown royal banner that drapes across the ceiling of my barn...which was given to me by a distributor...but technically still is the property of crown royal....technically

#13 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29304 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:17 PM

He was further advised by the brewery rep that it might be best to just drop them off at a scrap metal yard.

Might have received a visit from the police. A friend of mine owns a brewery and had a bunch 15-20 european sanke kegs (smaller kegs comparable to 7.75 galllons), most of them leaked and his accounts didn't really want them because of the size and fitting. He proceeded to scrap them. The scrap yard took down his name and address.Within and hour of getting back to the brewery a police officer came by to investigate. Once the officer saw that he was at a production brewery he left case closed, non issue.This was this past summer when scrap metal prices were high and stolen kegs were in the news so might not be a big as deal today.

#14 sherlock holmboy

sherlock holmboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:18 PM

I'd say use em, they're going to get junked otherwise. I would prefer to keep the population of kegs up as they are then cheaper to come by.

#15 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 10 April 2009 - 04:37 AM

Yeah, just use them.

#16 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:20 AM

If you want to clear your conscience inquire about returning them and if the rightful owner isn't willing to come pick them up I'd keep them. You shouldn't have to expend any time/energy/money to fix a problem that isn't really yours. If at any time they decided they wanted to come get them you could always return them. Last I checked beer doesn't ruin a keg.

#17 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:20 AM

I don't see a problem here. Trash is trash, or in this case, another mans treasure. For all you know the previous owners tried to return them and couldn't so they sat forever until this demo happened. Coke has been using boxes for years now. I think it is ridiculous to even try to return them , Coke just fielding a phone call about this is more hassle to them than what it is worth. You had permission to take them. Great score!Cheers!Rich

#18 buzhazzard

buzhazzard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:40 AM

Clean them, fill them with beer, empty them.Clean them, fill them with beer, empty them.Clean them, fill them with beer, empty them.Clean them, fill them with beer, empty them.Clean them, fill them with beer, empty them. :unsure:

#19 Dave

Dave

Grammaraticus of Titty Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32475 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:26 AM

.....they might throw him a six pack for his effort if he hauled all 7 or 8 (I forget exactly how many) kegs a few hunderd miles to them.

How generous of them.. :unsure:

#20 Corbin

Corbin

Comptroller of Annoying-assed Threads That Go Too Freaking Long

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10675 posts
  • LocationSt. louis, Mo.

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:20 PM

How generous of them.. :unsure:

Absolutely no dilemna here the way I see it. The difference between this and the sanke keg debate is the sanke kegs are still being used by the breweries. Pepsi and Coke no longer use cornie kegs (as far as I know). Therefore no problem, enjoy the score!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users