#1 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:30 AM

Has anyone ever used this strain or any other bavarian wheat strain for anything other than a Hefe, Dunkel, Roggen, etc?I have some in the fridge and was looking to do something with it...I have a Hefe and Dunkel carbing so wasn't looking to go that way...

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:33 AM

Has anyone ever used this strain or any other bavarian wheat strain for anything other than a Hefe, Dunkel, Roggen, etc?I have some in the fridge and was looking to do something with it...I have a Hefe and Dunkel carbing so wasn't looking to go that way...

How about a weizenbock?

#3 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:36 AM

How about a weizenbock?

I am thinking about doing something nontraditional...maybe something like a pale, looking to see maybe if there are some hops that will go with the bananay esters

#4 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:13 PM

I am thinking about doing something nontraditional...maybe something like a pale, looking to see maybe if there are some hops that will go with the bananay esters

I would think something spicy would go nicely (mt. hood, hallertau, etc.). I think I would try to make something like a light colored ale with german malts and noble(esque) hops.

#5 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:16 PM

I think Zym is onto something that would be unique with a Pale Ale (if that's how I read his post), but instead of fermenting on the warm side, ferment it on the cooler end of the range... as far as you can get away with to pull the clove aromas instead. I would also suggest using Irish Moss in the boil, secondary it for a couple of weeks and then finish it with gelatin. Otherwise, it's going to be cloudy like a wheat beer. Get that yeast to drop out, aim your hopping for spiciness and pair it with the cloves, instead of the banana through a colder ferment.

#6 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:19 PM

I think Zym is onto something that would be unique with a Pale Ale (if that's how I read his post), but instead of fermenting on the warm side, ferment it on the cooler end of the range... as far as you can get away with to pull the clove aromas instead. I would also suggest using Irish Moss in the boil, secondary it for a couple of weeks and then finish it with gelatin. Otherwise, it's going to be cloudy like a wheat beer. Get that yeast to drop out, aim your hopping for spiciness and pair it with the cloves, instead of the banana through a colder ferment.

Yes - I personally like the clove more than the banana with this yeast but that's up to the brewer. :P

#7 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9741 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:47 PM

How about a roggenbier. If you want to go for some non-traditional flare hop it more agressively with some of the spicier hops. My 0.02

#8 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:03 PM

I like both of these ideas....i have a pale w/ denny's favorite that's up next in the mean time I will be thinking of what I want to go with...

#9 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:59 PM

You could brew up a Dampfbier. its a Bavarian peasant's beer, kind of German Farmhouse kinda thing. Use all barley malt, a light touch on the hops and ferment with the Weizen yeast. Mine had a very interesting interplay between funky/spicy yeast, toasty malt and noble hops.

#10 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:34 PM

You could brew up a Dampfbier. its a Bavarian peasant's beer, kind of German Farmhouse kinda thing. Use all barley malt, a light touch on the hops and ferment with the Weizen yeast. Mine had a very interesting interplay between funky/spicy yeast, toasty malt and noble hops.

AWESOME...this is going to be it...I have some Hallertauer and Saaz on hand so I will use those..go with something like 70 to 30 Pils to Munich Ferment a little on the higher side to bring out the bubblegum b/c according to this https://www.germanbe.../Dampfbier.html the style warrants it...Thanks for bringing a new beer style to my attention!

#11 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:02 PM

DaBeerSox,I put together a nontraditional recipe for 3068 a few months ago but never got around to making it. I formulated a brown ale type recipe with a nutty malty flavor and wanted that to play with the banana flavor from the yeast after fermentation. My idea was a banana bread flavor type beer. If this sounds nontraditional and of interest PM me. I have the recipe here and can share if anyone is interested too.Mike

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54485 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:11 PM

I formulated a brown ale type recipe with a nutty malty flavor and wanted that to play with the banana flavor from the yeast

Yum, banana-nut beer. Why didn't you make it? Afraid it would be irresistible for breakfast?? :P

#13 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:30 PM

Yum, banana-nut beer. Why didn't you make it? Afraid it would be irresistible for breakfast?? :P

I just never got around to it to be honest Ken. I actually posted it either in the recipe swap here or back on the GreenBoard. I kept a watch over it and noone ever gave me any feedback. I might repost the recipe. I actually have a cake of 3068 that I have reused a few times and it keeps churning out well. I went Hefe, Roggen, Dunkeleweizen then I just finished a Weizenbock 1.072. My projeced gravity I should/would hit in the Banana Bread Brown Ale would be around 1.065. Since I still have the cake and its pretty fresh. Anyone think going from .072 back to 0.65 would be a bad idea? I can repost the recipe again if you like. But hey no fear Ken I would not hesitate to drink it with breakfast as well :P :smilielol:

#14 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:39 PM

I just never got around to it to be honest Ken. I actually posted it either in the recipe swap here or back on the GreenBoard. I kept a watch over it and noone ever gave me any feedback. I might repost the recipe. I actually have a cake of 3068 that I have reused a few times and it keeps churning out well. I went Hefe, Roggen, Dunkeleweizen then I just finished a Weizenbock 1.072. My projeced gravity I should/would hit in the Banana Bread Brown Ale would be around 1.065. Since I still have the cake and its pretty fresh. Anyone think going from .072 back to 0.65 would be a bad idea? I can repost the recipe again if you like. But hey no fear Ken I would not hesitate to drink it with breakfast as well :P :P

yea, post away i wuold like to see it

#15 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:17 PM

BearSox, brew the Dampfbier to a gravity like an Ordinary Bitter or Mild, that's how I read that article, anyway. Souring some with lacto would put another interesting/historical perspective on it, as well.

#16 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:54 PM

Posted up the Banana Bread Brown Ale recipe that I mentioned earlier. Feel free to give me feedback. I haven't tweaked this since I figured it out a few months.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users