- - - - -

Copper+PBW=Black

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2009 - 03:40 PM

Good. With the prices of copper now days, replacing with another 50ft coil would be costly. I bet you hold onto that jar a little tighter from now on...LoL :devil:

#22 MetlGuy

MetlGuy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationYork, SC

Posted 12 April 2009 - 06:25 PM

The PBW acts as an oxidizer, even producing free oxygen so I believe what you got was Cu + O ---> CuO, with the copper having a +2 charge.Take a look at the picture in wikipedia https://en.wikipedia...opper(II)_oxideBased on that, a soaking in a strong vinegar solution could remove it. I would be sure and dump the water and not use it for anything else. It'll have a lot of dissolved copper in it when you're done.

+1 the black crust was formed as a reaction with the strong oxidizers in PBW. the areas close to the bucket edges were probably stagnant and did not react as fast.A soak in hot vinegar (acetic acid) should get it nice and shiny.

#23 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:35 PM

I didn't have the oxide layer but mine always seems to get a patina that is way past an old penny - actually a buildup. Of course I rinse it well with a spray nozzle on the hose, but after about six months it starts to look like crap again with the buildup. Yeah, guess I brew a lot more than most.Anyway, it came out looking like a new penny after the last brew session. But, I know it will get cruddier with time. Don't get it, not like I'm a slouch with cleaning......

#24 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:37 AM

My AL kettle got a little black and spotty until the day I decided to use it to clean some beer line. I dumped a couple ounces of Beer Line Cleaner in there and just about crapped when it started to sizzle and eat away at the metal before I could get it washed out. It's never been more shiny :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users