• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 VirginiaBeach

VirginiaBeach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 06:38 PM

When you guys bottle how do you mix the priming sugar in evenly? I've had inconsistent carbonation in my bottles so I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this. Normally I boil some water with the sugar mixed in, put it (cooled) in the bottom of my bottling bucket, then siphon in the beer and proceed to bottle. Can I stir gently without risk of oxidation? Any suggestions?Thanks

#2 consumptionjunction

consumptionjunction

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationMiami

Posted 18 October 2009 - 06:44 PM

Your method produces the best consistency that I am aware of. This also exactly what I do, and I've never had a problem. I'm not sure why you're not seeing consistent carbonation between bottles.

#3 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64184 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:08 PM

When I used to bottle prime, I'd always stir it well with a sterilized spoon. I don't recall ever having carbonation problems, but it's also been a long time since I bottle conditioned anything.

#4 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:30 PM

Haven't bottled in a while but I never cooled the priming solution before racking the beer onto it. The whirlpool mixed well but I usually used a sanitized spoon as JK said.

#5 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68767 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:51 PM

it's also a good idea to give the bucket a gentle stir every 6 bottles, in my expereince

#6 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29342 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:20 AM

This method assumes that you also keg.When I bottle condition, which is rare. I boil to disolve the priming sugar and add it to a keg, rack the beer on top of it and seal up the keg, and purge all the air out of it, you want to make sure you do a good job with purging. I will then give the keg a few shakes to make sure that the priming solution is mixed well. I then fill the bottles with a bottle want stuck in a picnic faucet and push with co2 into the bottles.

#7 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:30 AM

When you guys bottle how do you mix the priming sugar in evenly? I've had inconsistent carbonation in my bottles so I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this. Normally I boil some water with the sugar mixed in, put it (cooled) in the bottom of my bottling bucket, then siphon in the beer and proceed to bottle. Can I stir gently without risk of oxidation? Any suggestions?Thanks

Yes, you do it the same as I do except that I gently stir for about a minute before beginning to bottle. If you don't stir, it will get mixed to an extent but the syrup may tend to stratify in the bottom of your bottling bucket.

#8 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:46 AM

I've never personally done the mixing - I guess I could just use my racking cane after I'm done transferring to the bucket since it was sanitized and only touched beer. I certainly wouldn't do multiple stirs as I was bottling - just my opinion. In the end most things end up fine either way.

#9 consumptionjunction

consumptionjunction

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationMiami

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:56 AM

I've never really had a syrupy sugar mixture, and I add it hot. When I rack onto the sugar the hose creates a bit of a whirlpool action in the bucket which probably helps mix it a bit. I then let it sit for a bit to let any sediment settle. This probably gives the sugar enough time to diffuse into the rest of the beer if it didn't get a good mixture to begin with. Once again, I've never had the need to stir in any way. Since I'm anal about sticking my arm and a spoon in or near the beer, or having the lid of my bucket off for any period of time that could let bacteria ride into the bucket, I'm pretty happy I haven't experienced this uneven priming. Maybe try to keep the sugar water hot and not too syrupy.

#10 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:03 AM

I've never really had a syrupy sugar mixture, and I add it hot. When I rack onto the sugar the hose creates a bit of a whirlpool action in the bucket which probably helps mix it a bit. I then let it sit for a bit to let any sediment settle. This probably gives the sugar enough time to diffuse into the rest of the beer if it didn't get a good mixture to begin with. Once again, I've never had the need to stir in any way. Since I'm anal about sticking my arm and a spoon in or near the beer, or having the lid of my bucket off for any period of time that could let bacteria ride into the bucket, I'm pretty happy I haven't experienced this uneven priming. Maybe try to keep the sugar water hot and not too syrupy.

This is pretty much exactly what I do although I might let the mixture cool a little bit before throwing it in the bucket. Just coming into contact with the bucket seems to lower the temperature quite a bit though since this is a small amount of liquid.

#11 japh

japh

Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14996 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:51 PM

After having a batch that was very inconsistent in carbonation levels, I have stirred and added the priming solution in batches as I transfer instead of it all at once. I've had very consistent carbonation since then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users