Photo
- - - - -

Danstar Munich or Safbrew WB-06

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Poll: Which is the better dry yeast? (0 member(s) have cast votes)

For a heffeweizen

1. Danstar Munich (1 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

2. Safbrew Wb-06 (4 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

3. neither, use liquid (9 votes [64.29%])

Percentage of vote: 64.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 UGALawDawg

UGALawDawg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:40 PM

My next beer will be a heffeweizen. And probably a bunch more after that, since I really want to finish off this sack of Malted Wheat I have in my basement. I was browsing the interwebs and low and behold there are dry yeast strains for bavarian style wheat beer. I would much prefer to use dry yeast on this because of the ease of use, but I don't really want to sacrafice too much quality hear.

#2 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48006 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:42 PM

I'm using Danstar this weekend on a dunkel. It's my first try with this yeast, so this post isn't really very helpful. :covreyes:

#3 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 09 April 2009 - 02:11 PM

I haven't used the Danstar, but didn't care for the over the top banana I got from WB06. Of course different recipes, ferm temps and palate could make for different results.

#4 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29316 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 09 April 2009 - 02:18 PM

I used the danstar 1x, it made an acceptable hefe. I think it would require using it a couple times to get it dial in but seemed satifactory.

#5 UGALawDawg

UGALawDawg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 02:27 PM

I haven't used the Danstar, but didn't care for the over the top banana I got from WB06. Of course different recipes, ferm temps and palate could make for different results.

What temp did you ferment at to get the over the top banana? Is there a liquid yeast that you can compare it to?

#6 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 09 April 2009 - 02:49 PM

What temp did you ferment at to get the over the top banana? Is there a liquid yeast that you can compare it to?

I think it was around 70ish. I haven't tried a liquid hefe yeast yet.

#7 MAZ

MAZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 04:42 PM

I used the Danstar Munich in a Weizenbock. No real banana or clove to speak of... if I didn't know better I'd think I used Nottingham.

#8 brewhead

brewhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 04:47 PM

mmmmm nottingham

#9 firebrewed

firebrewed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationJackson, MI

Posted 09 April 2009 - 07:00 PM

I brewed a dunkleweisen with the WB-06 and had some banana but more clove. Very tasty. My fermentation temp. was in the low 60's. I plan on using it again. YMMV

#10 kbhale

kbhale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationEvansville IN

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:26 PM

I've used Danstar Munich I liked the results. If your not a banana fan. WYeast 3333 German Wheat Yeast. Subtle flavor profile for wheat yeast with sharp tart crispness, fruity, sherry-like palate. Apparent attenuation: 70-76%. Flocculation: high. Optimum temp: 63°-75° F I've not tried this yeast but plan to.

#11 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:27 AM

My next beer will be a heffeweizen. And probably a bunch more after that, since I really want to finish off this sack of Malted Wheat I have in my basement. I was browsing the interwebs and low and behold there are dry yeast strains for bavarian style wheat beer. I would much prefer to use dry yeast on this because of the ease of use, but I don't really want to sacrafice too much quality hear.

If you really want to nail a german style weizen you've got to use a liquid yeast I think. If you just want a tasty wheat beer you can certainly go with dry. I voted for liquid b/c I love authentic german wheats :unsure:

#12 Mashman

Mashman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationGunnison CO

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:00 AM

WB06 has worked well for me in the past, just not as good as WY 3068. I plan on doing a split batch with WB06 and 3068 this year just to make sure.Mashman

#13 UGALawDawg

UGALawDawg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:36 AM

WB06 has worked well for me in the past, just not as good as WY 3068. I plan on doing a split batch with WB06 and 3068 this year just to make sure.Mashman

I'm thinking I may do a split batch too. WY3068 is my go to yeast for this beer. I was looking for something a little cheaper and easier to deal with. I use dry yeast for all of my american and english ales. I don't generally make lagers and so the only time I use liquid yeast is in wheat beers. Maybe I'll try one of the dry yeasts in one carboy and the 3068 in the other.

#14 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:53 AM

I should have mentioned - 3068 is my choice of yeast for liquid.

#15 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48006 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:08 PM

I'm using Danstar this weekend on a dunkel. It's my first try with this yeast, so this post isn't really very helpful. :)

Well, I just kegged this beer. Unfortunately, I don't think I've ever been more disappointed in a yeast. It is absolutely awful.There is just the slightest hint of anything remotely "Bavarian weisen" about this beer. No clove, no banana, just a bit of bubblegum. I did everything right, too. Chilled fast, fermented at 68F, etc. There's no evidence of infection, just crappy yeast flavors. The damn stuff can't even fail to flocculate like a proper Bavarian weisen yeast; it's clear as a bell.Now I've got five gallons of ruined dunkel that I don't know what to do with. It's so bad that I'm actually considering dumping it. :wacko:

#16 MAZ

MAZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:17 AM

We're in the same boat George. While I don't feel quite as strongly about it as you do (I don't think I'll dump it... yet anyway) my weizen bock is really nothing more than an extremely malty beer with a strange yeast twang (it's Nottingham - which I've grown to not care for - it has a slight "twang" or tartness that just does not work IMO). I know I said "twang" - this was not an extract brew - it was a double decocted AG.So here's my plan. My brew is big enough to try a bourbon-soaked oak cube treatment. Since it is already kegged and carbed, I'm going to sanitize a hop bag to contain the oak cubes. Then I'm going to vent the CO2 and just drop in the bag and maybe a little of the bourbon. I'll take a sample after a month and then periodically after that and pull the bag before the oak gets overwhelming. These cubes have been re-used multiple times though, so I think I'll be able to leave them in for a couple months. Hopefully this will turn into something worthy of drinking when the chilly fall weather returns later this year.

#17 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:41 AM

following with interest. I made my first hefe last weekend with WB-06. My LHBS said others have used it with good success. I fermented at 64 degrees and yesterday let it up to 66 degrees. It looks about done with lots of yeast in suspension still. I will keg it later this week or next weekend depending on my schedule.

#18 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 25 April 2009 - 11:10 AM

Last time I made a Hefe, it was with liquid yeast... but that was over 18 months ago. I have not used the Danstar, but have convinced my LHBS to look into it. George, let me know how it compares to liquid.

#19 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48006 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 25 April 2009 - 11:57 AM

Last time I made a Hefe, it was with liquid yeast... but that was over 18 months ago. I have not used the Danstar, but have convinced my LHBS to look into it. George, let me know how it compares to liquid.

I'm generally a big, big proponent of dry yeast, and I use it almost exclusively. However, the Danstar is nothing like a liquid hefe yeast. I can't speak for WB-06, but I'll definitely never use Danstar Munich again.

#20 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 12:33 PM

I think the liquid will make the superior hefeweizen. Will all the time I spend brewing beer, it's worth it to spend the extra 4 bucks on the liquid yeast to get a substantially better beer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users