- - - - -

Boulevard Orval

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2009 - 06:48 AM

Been waiting for this. Finally gonna happen. Boulevards head brewer Steven Pauwels is from Belgium so its no surprise they are hooking up with Orval for a collaboration brew. Its going to be a Impy Pilsner which will be a new Smokestack series offering. Boulevard a few years ago just built a multimillion dollar new brewhouse so Orval is coming to Kansas City. This is pretty sweet. https://thewineandch...it-is-true.html

#2 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:16 AM

Sounds interesting. Hopefully the "limited" release will be enough to satisfy all those who want to try it.

#3 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:02 AM

Sounds like a good collaboration. Never had a Boulevard beer but I have heard good things. Hope those that get to try it enjoy it too. Seems popular recently American and Belgian Brewer Collaborations. ;)

#4 JimNasium

JimNasium

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:16 AM

Sounds interesting. Hopefully the "limited" release will be enough to satisfy all those who want to try it.

I was able to score two bottles of their last (I think it was their last) limited edition and still have one on hand. It's sitting over there taunting me right now.

#5 al_bob

al_bob

Bamahout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11032 posts
  • LocationMidland, Texas USA

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:36 AM

Are the Smokestack series available in 12oz.?We have Boulevard here now, but we haven't seen any of the series.

#6 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2009 - 10:48 AM

Smokestack beers are only available in 750ml corkers...Other Smokestack limited release beers are Whiskey Barrel Impy Stout, Brett Saison, Impy Wit. To go along with the regular Double Wide IIpA, Saison, Long Strange Triple, and Sixth Glass Quad. I also agree that American/Belgian collaborations are a fad right now. Freestate Brewery/Pub here in Lawrence is doing one at Brasserie Vapeur the only steam driven brewery left in Belgium.https://www.vapeur.com/vap07e.html

#7 al_bob

al_bob

Bamahout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11032 posts
  • LocationMidland, Texas USA

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:18 PM

Smokestack beers are only available in 750ml corkers...Other Smokestack limited release beers are Whiskey Barrel Impy Stout, Brett Saison, Impy Wit. To go along with the regular Double Wide IIpA, Saison, Long Strange Triple, and Sixth Glass Quad. I also agree that American/Belgian collaborations are a fad right now. Freestate Brewery/Pub here in Lawrence is doing one at Brasserie Vapeur the only steam driven brewery left in Belgium.https://www.vapeur.com/vap07e.html

That's what I thought. We got our beer laws changed here in Alabama for the higher ABV this spring, but they never tackled our container size laws. That's gonna be our battle for the next legislature.

#8 JimNasium

JimNasium

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 02:15 PM

You forgot the Quadrupel with Cherries. That's what I have taunting me.

#9 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2009 - 02:22 PM

You forgot the Quadrupel with Cherries. That's what I have taunting me.

Oooops. I tried. Ive got a Brett Saison staring me down!

Edited by Blktre, 18 October 2009 - 02:22 PM.

#10 JimNasium

JimNasium

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 02:37 PM

Oooops. I tried. Ive got a Brett Saison staring me down!

That quad is a wonderful temptress. I shared the first bottle but think I'll be selfish with the final one. ;)

#11 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

Comptroller of ChopSticks & Ghey Bach Chow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9180 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 18 October 2009 - 02:59 PM

I did a tour of their brewery a while back. I sampled their Saison afterwards and really liked it. From the very little I've read about Saisons, I'm probably not ready to brew one since I can't really have complete control over my fermentation temps.If any of you that are familiar with Boulevard's Saison and know of a good recipe that would mimic it, please let me know.

#12 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2009 - 03:15 PM

Saisons are easy. The best way to control ferment temps is to use a heating pad. I use a $10 wet/dry pad i picked up at Target. Then hooked it up to a temp controller. So depending on the yeast you use, the pad will keep it up to 80* plus easily.From the website....https://www.boulevard.com/smokestack/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users