#1 Brownbeard

Brownbeard

Comptroller of Ilks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40969 posts
  • LocationCedar Rapids, Ia

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:18 PM

Is it too late to brew a lager for 4th of july? My brother is getting married, and I want to do a keg of something for his rehearsal. My dad is always saying he would like a german pilsner (he spent some time in germany for the military). Is it too late to start something like that now? It would not be a hoppy beer, as they are usually BMC drinkers. So, I would be working on the lower end of the IBU scale for the style.

#2 Gumbo Leviathan

Gumbo Leviathan

Nutritional Anthropologist

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35392 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:31 PM

I say go for it. If you get it going this weekend it should finish primary, in theory, around early May. Lager all through May and June. Dont forget to tape a beechwood chip to the outside of your lagering carboy for that authentic "beechwood aging" :covreyes:I am planning on starting a BoPils this weekend and I figure it will be ready to go around Julyish

#3 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:34 PM

I'm pretty sure that the big American breweries turn out their lagers in less time than that.

#4 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47988 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:37 PM

Heck no, it's not too late at all.Brew 4/11. Transfer to keg/secondary on 5/2, and you've got 8 weeks to play with for lagering and carbonating. Plenty of time.

#5 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:45 PM

I have had good luck with WLP 833 - German Bock yeast in terms of chewing through something fairly quick. Pretty much everything I have brewed with that strain has been finished with primary fermentation after 2 weeks, usually I give it a 3rd week to be safe. I think it's also a pretty balanced flavor profile so maybe a good yeast strain for your purpose.

#6 *_Guest_Milf Man_*

*_Guest_Milf Man_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2009 - 02:00 PM

Not too late at all.Stop typing and start brewing.Cheers,MILF Man

#7 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19219 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 03:20 PM

Yup, I'm brewing a lager for about second week in July Friday. A good solid 10-11 weeks for lagering is great. Just keep your hands off of it. :covreyes:

#8 Zulu

Zulu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 09 April 2009 - 03:37 PM

Big boys - 21 days kettle to bottle.In Germany , many many light lagers are drunk within 3 weeks of being brewed and some brewers will lay some aside for a true lager.Bigger beers are certainly put away for a good keller lager though

Edited by Zulu, 09 April 2009 - 03:38 PM.

#9 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:43 AM

Plenty of time.Schlafly Kellerbier comes out then, too!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users