9 replies to this topic

#1 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 03:21 PM

has anyone dealt with this?https://cgi.ebay.com/20L-Wood-Wooden-Wine-Rum-Whiskey-Liquor-Barrel-Beer-Keg_W0QQitemZ370089232755QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item562b098973

#2 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 17 October 2009 - 07:18 AM

Nope never used them and have never heard of them. Their pricing is cheaper than I have ever seen anybody sell a barrel for once you include shipping and all. If you're willing to make the investment it would be interesting to see if they are good quality.

#3 North

North

Drunk and Ghey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationCleveland

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:08 AM

great reviews! 100% positive.... i may purchase one and report back

#4 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25633 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:00 AM

great reviews! 100% positive.... i may purchase one and report back

Shipping = Yikes!I will go with the 1-2 ounces of oak chips when I get jonesing for oaked flavors.

#5 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:36 AM

Shipping = Yikes!I will go with the 1-2 ounces of oak chips when I get jonesing for oaked flavors.

the spiral cut dowels should do the job nicely as wella small barrel like that is pretty high on the surface yo liquid ratio it would get really oakey quickly, personally it's be more appropraite for spirit aging IMO.

#6 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:54 AM

the spiral cut dowels should do the job nicely as wella small barrel like that is pretty high on the surface yo liquid ratio it would get really oakey quickly, personally it's be more appropraite for spirit aging IMO.

I've used 5 gallon barrels for beer before and been very happy with the results. You do need to have 2 beers ready at the same time to go into the barrel because the first one won't be in there very long, 3-4 weeks tops. Once you're past the first beer though the 2nd one could be in there 2 months. I'd never use a barrel that small for wine, to much at risk. The smallest I'd use for wine is 13 gallon barrels and even at that size you need to keep an eye on things.

#7 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:10 AM

I've used 5 gallon barrels for beer before and been very happy with the results. You do need to have 2 beers ready at the same time to go into the barrel because the first one won't be in there very long, 3-4 weeks tops. Once you're past the first beer though the 2nd one could be in there 2 months. I'd never use a barrel that small for wine, to much at risk. The smallest I'd use for wine is 13 gallon barrels and even at that size you need to keep an eye on things.

:frank: I was assuming wine , oopsbeer I can see working better, especially a biggie

#8 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:24 AM

:) I was assuming wine , oopsbeer I can see working better, especially a biggie

Well this is the WM&C forum :frank: You nailed it though, first thing I ran through my 5 gallon barrel was an impy stout, then a barley wine, then a DIPA. After that run I can leave stuff in it for a couple months without concern. I split a 10 gallon batch of a Belgian Pale and I have to say I liked the oaked one more than the non-oaked one. I've had something in that barrel for the last 3 years so at this point it's more of a holding vessel than an oak imparting vessel. I've been kicking around the idea of souring it :angry:

#9 toonces

toonces

Methuselah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33975 posts
  • Locationthe atomic city

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:35 PM

i'd be leery sending money across teh border.

#10 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:47 PM

i'd be leery sending money across teh border.

+1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users