#1 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31564 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 14 October 2009 - 12:17 PM

So I got a mailing today from Brew Your Own ragazine. The offer they have is 28.00 for 7 issues. That is 4.00 an issue, is it worth it? I would think more like 28.00 for 12 issues for a years subscription, but for 7??I don't know if they do this, but I think some mags will give a current subscriber free issues or something for a referral. So, if I decide to sign up I'll hook one of ya'll up if they do that. I am not very magazine savy, the only mag I have is Maxim and my wife handles that for me. I just *read* it when it comes in. <_<

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 14 October 2009 - 12:35 PM

I love BYO magazine. I have had a subscription for the last 7 years or so. While I agree it would be nice for the price to get 12 issues for $28 they do a pretty good job of packing in a lot of great information into each issue. This is the time of year for Xmas that they ask subscribers to extend a year and send a free sub to another person as well. I will see if I get one I could do that for you or someone else here too. If you are near a Border's Books or a large bookstore then check out an issue. I enjoy it to be honest. A magazine I read cover to cover.

#3 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 14 October 2009 - 12:38 PM

check out the classified sections or post that you would like a buy one get one thing. They will usually send people that need to renew a coupon for 2 subscriptions for 28. So you could just split it with someone else.

#4 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:02 PM

I love BYO magazine. I have had a subscription for the last 7 years or so. While I agree it would be nice for the price to get 12 issues for $28 they do a pretty good job of packing in a lot of great information into each issue. This is the time of year for Xmas that they ask subscribers to extend a year and send a free sub to another person as well. I will see if I get one I could do that for you or someone else here too. If you are near a Border's Books or a large bookstore then check out an issue. I enjoy it to be honest. A magazine I read cover to cover.

I just gave the "free susbscription" to a co-worker. I say "free" because we split the cost. Can't argue with a $14 a year subscription. I too enjoy this magazine.

#5 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 14 October 2009 - 02:05 PM

Thanks for starting this thread. I've been contemplating BYO as I am sick of the mountain biking mag I've been getting the past few years.

#6 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10764 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 14 October 2009 - 02:33 PM

I didn't resubscribe after the first year and then found I missed it and signed back up. Now I'm also thinking of getting an AHA membership to get their magazine as well.

#7 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 14 October 2009 - 03:06 PM

I don't think it is worth $28 but at $14 I think it is a deal. I waited until they sent me a 2 for 1 deal and split the cost with a fellow brews-bros.

#8 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 14 October 2009 - 05:52 PM

I have been reading it cover to cover the day that it arrives. I also have a sub to Zymurgy and Beer Advocate and do the same thing when they arrive. Can't get enough of the learnin.

#9 Stuster

Stuster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 01:06 AM

I've been getting it for a year or two now and really enjoy it. There's plenty in there. I do envy how cheap it is for you there :) as it's a bit more to get it outside the US. Still worth it to me though so I say go for it. :)

#10 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9741 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:12 AM

I really love BYO. I have had a subscription for a few years. I have also, through the power of ebay, gone back and gotten all of the back issues. While there are a number of fine beer related publications out there, BYO and Zymergy are the only two homebrewing mags (that I am aware of). Both mags are great, people are passionate about both, and I currently get both. However, if I had to only pick one, it would be BYO. Why? I dont know. It's hard to explain. Vibe maybe... I just like it slightly better.28 bucks is 28 bucks. However, I look at it like this. One idea or recipe from the magazine can save you more than 28 bucks in time, materials, and/or ingredients. Or that's how I justify it in my mind anyway.

#11 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 16 October 2009 - 06:50 AM

Thanks for starting this thread. I've been contemplating BYO as I am sick of the mountain biking mag I've been getting the past few years.

JJ, It's a free country, you CAN subscribe to more than one magazine. :sarcasm:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users