Photo
- - - - -

Force carbing vs. natural carbing

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Poll: Force carbing vs. natural carbing (0 member(s) have cast votes)

Which do you prefer?

1. Natural bottle carbing (4 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

2. Force carbing (22 votes [78.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 78.57%

3. A combination while not wearing pants (2 votes [7.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 14 October 2009 - 11:54 AM

With other topics discussing carbing and conditioning, I was curious as to what others do, and more importantly the advantages they feel they gain from their methods.I personally feel that force carbing is the most controllable and advantageous. You can taste the carb level before filling, and know you have equal distribution throughout all fills. The purchase of equpiment is a drawback, but even a cobra tap off the faucet with a long bevline gets the job done. If the purchase is made there are also obvious conveniences with force carbing as well, and bottle purging is easy.The only other downside I have with force carbing is it restricts the CO2 vols to (the most I can successfully pull off) about 2.5 vols. I have tried everything from chilling the bottles, 10 feet of bevline, various pressures, anything over 2.5 foams uncontrollably. That I see is the only advantage to bottle carbing. being able to capture effervescence for a 3+ vols profile. The idea that it gives tighter bubbles I feel is debunked. Gas is gas, if allowed to dissolve properly the bubbles should be the same- I could be all wet there, but I see no difference to change that. Thoughts?

#2 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 14 October 2009 - 12:22 PM

I agree, CO2 is CO2 is CO2. Force carbing allows you to tweak your carbonation level up or down to taste. Also, when you bottle your force carbed beer, you can do it in such a way as to eliminate any oxygen in the bottle, which is a benefit. And one more thing: you can eliminate any yeast sediment in the bottle by force carbing.As a point on the side in favor of natural bottle carbing, I have heard that certain distinctive and desirable flavor characteristics can be introduced by the fermentation that takes place in the bottle. I cannot confirm or deny this point, as I have never done a side-by-side comparison of force carbed and bottle carbed versions of otherwise identical beers.

#3 Winkydowbrewing

Winkydowbrewing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 14 October 2009 - 12:25 PM

I agree with all your points of force carbing. Easier to control and predict the outcome, less time waiting (even if it does require a few weeks at least you are guaranteed carbed been and not waiting on yeast to get back to work. In terms of the volume of CO2, I havent done a style which needs more than 2.5, but I recall others using those plastic epoxy stirers to give more restrction and i think this one done to help with the styles which need higher pressure, others will likely chime in on this.

#4 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 14 October 2009 - 12:27 PM

When I moved to kegging I exclusively force carbonate all the beers that I brew. I have a Beer Gun and fill bottles to empty a keg and such but I don't bottle carbonate anymore. I do think FC is much more convenient and more consistant as it only takes on container (keg) for an entire batch. Bottle carbing to me got too erratic and unpredictable. While I know bottle conditioning is great especially if you are starting off with brewing but if you are advanced I think Force is the way to go.

#5 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 14 October 2009 - 12:40 PM

If I had a beer gun I might agree but a CPF is a pain right in the glutes.

#6 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:00 PM

If it's in a bottle, it's got to be natural. I force carbed once... ONCE! If it's a keg, I'll do either.

#7 Winkydowbrewing

Winkydowbrewing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:32 PM

+1 on the CPBF...i bought it, used it 2 times and called it quits. The intention is good, but the design is a PITA to deal with.

#8 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:59 PM

If I had a beer gun I might agree but a CPF is a pain right in the glutes.

That is the truth. Homebrew club did a demonstration at a meeting last year CPF vs the Beer Gun. Believe me after seeing that the Beer Gun is worth any extra $$$$.

#9 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64195 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:45 PM

I use a CPBF. I find it to be pretty easy to work. I've looked at the beer gun, it seems a little easier, but I wouldn't shell out the $70 for it.

#10 kbhale

kbhale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationEvansville IN

Posted 15 October 2009 - 11:50 PM

1978 Wright- Patterson AFB. 17 bottles going off in a chain reaction at 3:30 in the morning. Canned malt, mystery yeast and crappy instructions. Never again. Force carbonation and Beer Gun all the way.

#11 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 02:23 AM

If we were talking about kegging I'd say force for sure. For bottling I like to naturally carb mainly b/c I don't have a good way to bottle from the keg.

#12 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 16 October 2009 - 08:31 AM

If we were talking about kegging I'd say force for sure. For bottling I like to naturally carb mainly b/c I don't have a good way to bottle from the keg.

You can easily do it with 10' of 3/16" bevline, with a QD at one end and a bottle filler or picnic tap at the other. Disconnect your gas line, bleed the headpressure, then reconnect your gas at about 2-3 psi. Connect your new liquid line, and fill each bottle. A quick CO2 blast into the bottle is a good measure too. Many people also attach their bevline right to the faucet nozzle as well. Whatever works best- but you can bottle from kegs inexpensively.

#13 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:54 AM

I voted the combo. If im bottling, its natural carb. If im kegging, i force it. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users