Photo
- - - - -

Finally have a basic understanding of Brewing Water!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14799 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:55 AM

I've browsed several times through Palmer's chapter on water, but never seriously studied it or cared to learn more. So, last night I couldn't sleep, so I pulled up my water quality report online. I looked through it, and read through every line of Palmer's chapter on brewing water, comparing my water analysis along the way.It finally clicked!Basically, my brewing water is extremely soft (think Pilsen) with relatively low bicarbonates. Palmer's nomograph says that my water is well suited to brewing pale-ish styles of beer. Might explain why my pale ales and bitters are always great, and why my stouts often aren't so great.So, anyway, I'm just kind of excited to be learning something new about the process.

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 10:14 AM

I've browsed several times through Palmer's chapter on water, but never seriously studied it or cared to learn more. So, last night I couldn't sleep, so I pulled up my water quality report online. I looked through it, and read through every line of Palmer's chapter on brewing water, comparing my water analysis along the way.It finally clicked!Basically, my brewing water is extremely soft (think Pilsen) with relatively low bicarbonates. Palmer's nomograph says that my water is well suited to brewing pale-ish styles of beer. Might explain why my pale ales and bitters are always great, and why my stouts often aren't so great.So, anyway, I'm just kind of excited to be learning something new about the process.

use the spreadsheet and all will be right in the world (assuming you have a semi-accurate water report).

#3 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14799 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 14 October 2009 - 10:34 AM

use the spreadsheet and all will be right in the world (assuming you have a semi-accurate water report).

You are referring to Palmer's Mash Residual Alkalinity spreadsheet at Howtobrew.com?

#4 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 10:39 AM

You are referring to Palmer's Mash Residual Alkalinity spreadsheet at Howtobrew.com?

yessir - it does all the things you just read about automatically. you just need to input your water report, an estimated SRM for your brew, and then tweak the additions to get your RA right. Pretty easy.

#5 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 14 October 2009 - 05:44 PM

Funny - I too was reading that section recently. Of course my town water report sucks ass and only gives me Sulfate, sodium, chloride and copper measurements (along with disinfection byproducts, turbidity and other useless info). I have to send a sample to Ward soon

#6 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14799 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 14 October 2009 - 07:27 PM

Funny - I too was reading that section recently. Of course my town water report sucks ass and only gives me Sulfate, sodium, chloride and copper measurements (along with disinfection byproducts, turbidity and other useless info). I have to send a sample to Ward soon

Ours is pretty darn good. They publish it online monthly. The monthly one contains some of the needed information. The remainder is published in the year end water quality report, which is also published online every year.

#7 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64193 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 October 2009 - 07:31 PM

Here's an different version of Palmer's spreadsheet that's a little more user friendly. EZ Water Adjustment Calculator

#8 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 14 October 2009 - 08:19 PM

Here's an different version of Palmer's spreadsheet that's a little more user friendly. EZ Water Adjustment Calculator

Added to favs should be handy.

#9 Pseudolus

Pseudolus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 06:27 AM

I recall hearing that one of the well-known-ish West Coast brewers is working on a book all about water chemistry. I think it's Colin Kaminski - who has given talks on the subject at the AHA conventions. I'll be buying that as soon as it comes out.

#10 Brim2theDregs

Brim2theDregs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:43 AM

I think we are in the same boat Howie. I have been devouring info on the subject almost to fast to absorb it since I got my profile back from Wards.I have got BeerSmith, looked at several of the excell sheets/ brew water programs etc ... the one that just clicked to me was the EZ Water Adjustment Calculator that JKoravos linked you up to. It covered all the bases like profile, adjustment, RA, and Chloride to Sulfate Ratio. I think the creator of that spreadsheet used Palmers' formulas.

#11 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64193 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:37 AM

I think the creator of that spreadsheet used Palmers' formulas.

Yup, right at the bottom of the page he references 'How to Brew' as his source for the calculations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users