• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Brauer-Kiffer

Brauer-Kiffer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:37 PM

Hello all. I am new to the board and was hoping someone might have some experience with this. I am going to get a nitrogen system, but realized it might be a bit too much $$ at the moment. I bought the faucet and have a stout in the secondary ready to go.Has anyone ever tried using the faucet at low pressure with only CO2? Would it be better just to use the normal faucet? I'm debating kegging it, or just bottling it. It really depends if I can get anything out of the new faucet I just purchased.Any insight would be appreciated.

#2 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 14 October 2009 - 08:04 AM

It will be better to use a regular faucet. The restrictor plate requires a high amount of pressure to push the beer through it. Additionally, if you have greater than 1.2 volumes of CO2 in your beer you are going to have problems with foaming (1.4 absolute max). Those two requirements, high pressure and low dissolved CO2, are counter to each when using pure CO2. So you should nitrogenate your beer with something like "G" mix which is 75/25 N2/CO2.

#3 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29346 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:37 AM

Take the restritor plate out and it will pour (for the most part)like a normal faucet

#4 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

The Drunk Dump Truck Euphanism.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 14 October 2009 - 11:21 AM

Are you trying to get the beer gas effect, or just trying to have another CO2 beer on tap and it's the only other tap you have?If it's the former, you wont have much luck. I've tried setting the CO2 low to not overcarb, then turning it up at serving time. It's a pain in the ass and it doesnt work well. You end up with 90% foam no matter how much you screw around with it.If it's the latter, do as others suggested and take out the restrictor plate. Carb it as usual and use the normal amount of CO2 pressure. You'll have to have a balanced line ~6 ft, but it should work ok. Once you get the beer gas setup, put the restrictor plate back in and you can even shorten up the beer line. I use ~1.5 ft only cause the flow resistance is dominated by the faucet.

#5 Brauer-Kiffer

Brauer-Kiffer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:14 PM

Thanks for the responses.I wanted to get the cascading head effect of the beer gas and planned to buy the parts separately. I should have looked into the cost of the tank first ($130 for the smallest empty used, ouch!!).I guess it isn't a total loss. The faucet I had earlier was not very good, so even without the restrictor plate it will pour better than what I'm used to. I'll have to start saving money for the rest of the system. I love stouts, and it will definitely be worth the money.

#6 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 14 October 2009 - 07:19 PM

Thanks for the responses.I wanted to get the cascading head effect of the beer gas and planned to buy the parts separately. I should have looked into the cost of the tank first ($130 for the smallest empty used, ouch!!).I guess it isn't a total loss. The faucet I had earlier was not very good, so even without the restrictor plate it will pour better than what I'm used to. I'll have to start saving money for the rest of the system. I love stouts, and it will definitely be worth the money.

Keep an eye on Craigslist or even post a wanted add their, you should be able to get a nitrogen cylinder and redulator for less than that with patience.

#7 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9741 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:37 AM

Keep an eye on Craigslist or even post a wanted add their, you should be able to get a nitrogen cylinder and redulator for less than that with patience.

This totally. Keep an eye on craigslist, or wherever you find this kind of thing locally, for 20# CO2 tank. With some patience and looking, you should be able to find one for at or below 50 bucks. Then take it to the gas store and switch the CO2 tank for a beergas tank. Then the reg should be a pretty easy ebay or LHBS or online homebrew shop find.Oh, and welcome to the board.

#8 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

The Drunk Dump Truck Euphanism.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 15 October 2009 - 11:29 AM

Get the crappiest steel tank you can find that's within its hydro test date. N2/CO2 mixes arent as common as CO2 and take time to fill properly so you'll likely have to swap. Hydro tests are usually $15-20. I have a nice aluminum 10# tank for CO2 that I get filled, and a crappy 10# steel tank that I swap for beer gas.

#9 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9741 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:18 PM

Agreed. Just dont go smaller than 10# and I would recommend looking for 20#. Unlike CO2, beergas is not liquid in the tank, so the tank will not hold nearly the gas that a CO2 tank will and you will be making more trips to the gas store.

#10 Brauer-Kiffer

Brauer-Kiffer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:58 PM

So if I find a 20# CO2 tank, will my normal CO2 regulator work. I was told by the gas company that it would need a special regulator due to the pressure. I was going to go for the beer gas mix any way, I don't think I need to control the mix. There is one on CL right now for $65, and if that is all I need to enjoy stout goodness, I am picking it up tomorrow.

#11 consumptionjunction

consumptionjunction

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationMiami

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:06 PM

This is kind-of off-topic, but I love RSS feeds and you can do a search on craigslist and save that search in your RSS feed. If something comes up that you are looking for, it comes to you. You don't need to check it religiously. Google Reader is a pretty awesome way to use RSS from almost any website.

#12 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9741 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 16 October 2009 - 05:19 AM

So if I find a 20# CO2 tank, will my normal CO2 regulator work. I was told by the gas company that it would need a special regulator due to the pressure. I was going to go for the beer gas mix any way, I don't think I need to control the mix. There is one on CL right now for $65, and if that is all I need to enjoy stout goodness, I am picking it up tomorrow.

I have seen where people put together CO2 regulators to do beer gas, but I don't think it is a good idea. You are looking for a regulator with a CGA-580 fitting on it rather than the CGA-320 fitting that is used on CO2. It is easy to tell since the 320 is a female fitting on the regulator side and 580 is a male fitting. Any N2 regulator will work (provided the pressure range is right).What is $65 on CL? If just a reg. that is not a deal. If just a tank, that is kinda ok but not super. If it is both, buy, buy, buy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users