• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 VirginiaBeach

VirginiaBeach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:02 PM

I've read that CO2 is heavier than air and oxygen (O2). Does this mean that if you are aging your beers undisturbed and upright then you don't need to worry about oxidation during long-term aging? Will the carbon dioxide form a protective layer between the surface of the beer and the oxygen in the head space of the bottle?I wondered this after contemplating using those oxygen absorbing caps.Thanks

#2 *_Guest_BigBossMan_*

*_Guest_BigBossMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:22 PM

I've read that CO2 is heavier than air and oxygen (O2). Does this mean that if you are aging your beers undisturbed and upright then you don't need to worry about oxidation during long-term aging? Will the carbon dioxide form a protective layer between the surface of the beer and the oxygen in the head space of the bottle?I wondered this after contemplating using those oxygen absorbing caps.Thanks

If I were going to age bottled beer, I'd use the oxygen absorbing caps. They only cost about 3 cents per cap more. Just remember that you need to invert the bottle and wet the cap to activate it. Then you can store it upright.

Edited by BigBossMan, 13 October 2009 - 09:47 PM.

#3 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64193 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:45 PM

The oxygen would slowly diffuse through the layer of carbon dioxide and end up in the beer. It's not like oil and water, both gases would be mixed together, the concentration of the CO2 would just be higher in the lower part of the vessel.

#4 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:52 PM

Gases mix. There is no "blanket" effect with CO2.MolBasser

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 03:40 AM

I'm planning on aging a beer for a long time coming up - are O2 caps required? I have a bottled beer that's about 9 months old and still seems good to me.

#6 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64193 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:19 AM

If you're bottle conditioning, they'll probably help more than counter pressure filling. Alternatively, you can purge the head space of the bottle with CO2 before capping.

#7 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 14 October 2009 - 08:12 AM

Nice to see at least one other person here understands this. If I had a dollar for everytime on the old board someone cited the "blanket effect" of CO2...

Gases mix. There is no "blanket" effect with CO2.MolBasser

#8 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9179 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 14 October 2009 - 08:13 AM

The oxygen would slowly diffuse through the layer of carbon dioxide and end up in the beer. It's not like oil and water, both gases would be mixed together, the concentration of the CO2 would just be higher in the lower part of the vessel.

+1

#9 stangbat

stangbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKC Metro, KS side

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:04 AM

Another +1 for the gasses mix reply. A "blanket" of CO2 provides no long term protection from oxidation.

#10 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:37 AM

If you're bottle conditioning, they'll probably help more than counter pressure filling. Alternatively, you can purge the head space of the bottle with CO2 before capping.

hmmm - maybe I'll suck it up and get some of these. unfortunately my LHBS prices are all pretty stupid so I may end up paying way too much for them...

#11 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:44 AM

It can happen but not with such a small volume of gas.

#12 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 14 October 2009 - 11:28 AM

I'm planning on aging a beer for a long time coming up - are O2 caps required? I have a bottled beer that's about 9 months old and still seems good to me.

If you have CO2 then I can assume you are kegging. If so, fill the bottles off the keg and cap on foam. The foam pushes out the headspace air, allowing to cap with nothing between the beer and cap. I also feel that the beers that benefit the most from long term storage, also can benefit a bit from oxidation. An oxidative "sherry" quality in big beers can add a nice complexity. (i.e. 1996 Samiclaus- best beer I have ever had!) I think the small beers that would have a bad off flavor from oxidation should be drank while freshest anyhow and would not make the 9 month maturation.At $4-5 per gross, the O2 caps are worth it too.

Edited by Thirsty, 14 October 2009 - 11:34 AM.

#13 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 11:32 AM

If you have CO2 then I can assume you are kegging. If so, fill the bottles off the keg and cap on foam. The foam pushes out the headspace air, allowing to cap with nothing between the beer and cap. I also feel that the beers that benefit the most from long term storage, also can benefit a bit from oxidation. An oxidative "sherry" quality in big beers can add a nice complexity. I think the small beers that would have a bad off flavor from oxidation should be drank while freshest anyhow and would not make the 9 month maturation.

Actually - in this case I was going to bottle condition.

#14 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 14 October 2009 - 11:38 AM

Actually - in this case I was going to bottle condition.

Do you have force carb abilities? Besides needing higher vols which make bottling off the keg difficult, I see no advantages to force carbing. It has inspired me to make a spinoff thread.

#15 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 14 October 2009 - 12:32 PM

In the quoted disaster, a massive volume of CO2 was released suddenly from the lake. I believe that the phenomenon of that mass of CO2 hugging the ground was a transient condition, and I'd guess the effect was probably enhanced by the temperature of the CO2 cloud being colder than ambient. Over a relatively short time, I'm certain that the CO2 and the surrounding atmospheric air diffused together. In other words, you can get a blanket of CO2 to stratify under the surrounding air for a short while, given ideal conditions, but I believe that the condition is not sustainable.

#16 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 14 October 2009 - 12:39 PM

In the quoted disaster, a massive volume of CO2 was released suddenly from the lake. I believe that the phenomenon of that mass of CO2 hugging the ground was a transient condition, and I'd guess the effect was probably enhanced by the temperature of the CO2 cloud being colder than ambient. Over a relatively short time, I'm certain that the CO2 and the surrounding atmospheric air diffused together. In other words, you can get a blanket of CO2 to stratify under the surrounding air for a short while, given ideal conditions, but I believe that the condition is not sustainable.

Agreed. I was just pointing out one possible source of the belief.

#17 xd_haze

xd_haze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 14 October 2009 - 02:16 PM

People asphyxiate quicker than gases diffuse.

#18 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 14 October 2009 - 02:44 PM

People asphyxiate quicker than gases diffuse.

Ok. What point are you attempting to make?

#19 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 14 October 2009 - 04:11 PM

I guess it's OK to sleep on the first floor of my house?

#20 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

Comproller of Toilet Tank Vodka

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8921 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 14 October 2009 - 10:29 PM

The 'blanket effect' is valid in some instances?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users